Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Type size too small again

I'm really getting ticked off about the type sizes one can choose. As Sony originally promoted the Reader as a big help to the visually impaired, that is one vital reason I got it more than a year ago.

Unlike the Rocket eBook which I used for years that could download ANY style and size of type you had in the computer, the Reader only had three sizes in each of the portrait and landscape positons. I have to use the Large in the landscape mode to be able to read it comfortably at all.

Naturally, PG and similar books I load in myself, I can arrange to have the proper point size, which works fine, usually 18 pt for landscape and 20 pt for portrait.

However, of the scores of books I've bought from CONNECT eStore, several have had the largest size type way to small for me (or anybody with vision problems) to read comfortably.

The first time I had this problem, I called Sony to explain, and they had no information, but did give me a credit for one book. The next time they just blamed in on the publisher. I reminded them it was their responsibility as they were promoting it for people with vision problems, but naturally, I got nowhere.

I just ordered three more books from them, obviously the last I shall do, and all three of them have the Large type on landscape mode only about 12 pt type much too small for me.

As the Kindle lets any book use SIX sizes of type, enlarged as high as 20 pt, I guess now it will be worth getting one, and selling my 500.

Too bad they have such a good device and have missed so many opportunities to make it better and easier to use for the readers

And too bad they don't seem to care much at all for their customers, but I have found this to be an attribute of Sony in the past with other of their components.

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 12-10-2007 at 10:23 AM.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I can't say I'm surprised by your experience. I've also noticed that some of the books from Connect have impossibly small type, even for my pretty good eyes. With the RTFs I format myself and most of the Connect books I can read comfortably with the font at the small setting, given that I'm in a well-lit environment. When the lighting is poor I switch to medium. I've had a couple books now, however, that were very small even at medium, and had to read them at large. Amazingly, large wasn't even as big as medium on some other books. It's alarming to me that Sony doesn't have the publishers standardize their font sizes for their documents when they send them in.
Here's hoping the Kindle serves you better. It's a shame you already invested in Sony books before making the switch.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
As the Kindle lets any book use SIX sizes of type, enlarged as high as 20 pt, I guess now it will be worth getting one, and selling my 500.
You ought to consider the CyBook Gen3 too. It will display text in a huge range of sizes and - unlike the Kindle - allows you to load any TT font that you have on your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You ought to consider the CyBook Gen3 too. It will display text in a huge range of sizes and - unlike the Kindle - allows you to load any TT font that you have on your PC.
Thanks, Harry, I recall you have mentioned it before. Do you have one, and if so, how do you like it?

I looked over the website and it is very appealing (although also sold out now), and seems to have most of the features I would want. Looks a lot more like the Sony than the Kindle, which is certainly a good thing.

How easy is the Mobilpocket to use, to buy from, and to use their software?

Any "cons" that you know about?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use eBook Library

Quote:
I'm really getting ticked off about the type sizes one can choose. As Sony originally promoted the Reader as a big help to the visually impaired, that is one vital reason I got it more than a year ago.

Can't you read those books on your PC using eBook Library? Also, switch to Landscape Mode to increase the font size.

The books with small fonts should be legible on your PC Monitor.

I intend to use the 505 only for supplementary reading when away from my pc. I will usually be using my 24" LCD HD Monitor to read them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I intend to use the 505 only for supplementary reading when away from my pc. I will usually be using my 24" LCD HD Monitor to read them.
You'd pay $10+ to read a book on your PC?
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Can't you read those books on your PC using eBook Library? Also, switch to Landscape Mode to increase the font size.

The books with small fonts should be legible on your PC Monitor.

Thanks, but when I want to read in bed or in the living room, it is difficult to hold the desktop computer on my lap. And the extension cord will not reach to the airport or my doctors' offices.

In fact, that's why I use the Reader. For some odd reason, I never am comfortable reading documents, let alone long books at the computer. And as I mentioned in the OP, I always use the Large size in the Landscape mode, but for some books, it is still too small. So it goes.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, but when I want to read in bed or in the living room, it is difficult to hold the desktop computer on my lap. And the extension cord will not reach to the airport or my doctors' offices.

In fact, that's why I use the Reader. For some odd reason, I never am comfortable reading documents, let alone long books at the computer. And as I mentioned in the OP, I always use the Large size in the Landscape mode, but for some books, it is still too small. So it goes.
In most cases there is a solution....

Purchase MS Reader format books, remove the DRM, convert via lit2lrf and you can set the base font size how you like with one of the commands and you'll be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
urseus
urseus began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Print too small? Do you guys want 1 word a page or something?
urseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by urseus View Post
Oh, to be young again and be able to see! I'm only 50 and work all day in front of a PC monitor at 1280 x 1024 without any real problems. But I still find reading comfortably on my Reader difficult at times particularly in poor light. Sorry if this is really boring to you but it is crucial for others. Please bear with us.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
urseus
urseus began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Il let you go this time.

THIS time....

But yeah id give the converter a go for custom fonts. Its really easy. Add file, press convert. Bang, ready to go.
urseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I previously posted some pictures showing the smallest and largest fonts on the Cybook using the built in Verdana font. You really have more flexibility then you need.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=38

The ability to select 12 different font sizes and download TrueType fonts is a very nice feature on it and lets you customize to suit your needs. You can also "embolden" the text to make if more legible. I've been reading using the 3rd smallest Georgia font and switching to embolden when in poor lighting conditions. If I have good lighting I can turn it off and get an extra 4 lines per page.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

KlondikeGeoff, did you know that reading smaller type in fact helps to improve your vision?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks, Harry, I recall you have mentioned it before. Do you have one, and if so, how do you like it?

I looked over the website and it is very appealing (although also sold out now), and seems to have most of the features I would want. Looks a lot more like the Sony than the Kindle, which is certainly a good thing.

How easy is the Mobilpocket to use, to buy from, and to use their software?

Any "cons" that you know about?
Yes, I've had a Gen3 for about a month now, and am delighted with it. There are numerous eBook stores which sell Mobi-format books, and you can use any or all of them. Very easy to use indded.

Cons? On some illustrated books the pictures come out rather on the small side. That's pretty much all, I think. The ability to add your own fonts, and the dictionary lookup facility are both VERY nice things which distinguish it from the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by urseus View Post
1. I am 80 years old, and as I said in my OP, have vision problems. Reading is a great solace for me.

2. It is probably inconceivable to you, but someday you actually may, if you are lucky, get old. And your eyes may get dim. When that happens, you will find that you, and others with handicaps, may not appreciate this sort of sarcasm.