Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #1
msezda
msezda began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo Libra H2O not detecting downloaded ebooks

My Kobo Libra H2O was working fine for several weeks, but suddenly when I download ePubs from Calibre they are not appearing in the list of books *even though* I can see them on the device when I open it in Windows Explorer. Anyone else have this problem? Cheers
msezda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:14 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
After sending the books to the device, what happens when you eject the device? Does the device show the black importing screen? If not, then the device is not seeing the books, or they match books (file path and size) that are already on the device. If it is not seeing the books, it probably means the books are in a place the device is not scanning. For example, the device does not look in the ".kobo" directory. You can also set an option in the config file on the device to prevent it scanning other directories. This is commonly done when using KOReader or Plato.

If the importing screen is shown, but the books are not imported, it means that there was an error importing one of the books. If there is an error, it will block the importing of the rest of the books. You will need to find which books have the errors and remove them. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to remove all the non-imported books and try sideloading them on smaller batches.

The other problem that can happen is if the database on the device has become corrupted. If that is the case, the books are usually imported, but they can disappear after the device is restarted. Or something else happens that needs a full reread of the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2021, 03:18 AM   #3
msezda

When I hook the device up to my PC the screen goes black and Calibre indicates that the device is connected, allowing me to send books to the device. After sending I eject the device. Usually, the Kobo screen reverts to "My Books" and I see a status bar importing the books, after which the new books appear on the home screen.

But now I am no longer getting the status bar. When I look into the Kobo memory using Windows Explorer I can see the files I uploaded, but they do not appear in My Books – or anywhere else, after doing a search.

I tried deleting the files using Windows Explorer and then re-importing, but that made no difference. I have 6.2 GB free, so space is not the problem.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could install NickelMenu. NickelMenu has an option to allow to force a scan of all the eBooks.

Here is the config line I use to rescan.
Code:
menu_item :main :Import books       :nickel_misc        :rescan_books_full
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
msezda

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that.
Advert
Old 07-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msezda View Post
When I hook the device up to my PC the screen goes black and Calibre indicates that the device is connected, allowing me to send books to the device. After sending I eject the device. Usually, the Kobo screen reverts to "My Books" and I see a status bar importing the books, after which the new books appear on the home screen.

But now I am no longer getting the status bar. When I look into the Kobo memory using Windows Explorer I can see the files I uploaded, but they do not appear in My Books – or anywhere else, after doing a search.

I tried deleting the files using Windows Explorer and then re-importing, but that made no difference. I have 6.2 GB free, so space is not the problem.
Where are the books on the device? As I stated, some locations do not get searched for new books. And, you can block other locations with a config file entry. The books also need to have valid file names, and be of types that the device will import. Other files will just get ignored. Also, double check that the books are not in the book list. If you replaced books, they won't show as new books and will appear further down the list of books.

Also, when new books are added to the device, strictly, they do not appear on the home screen. The "My Books" icon usually shows the cover of three recently imported books. But, it isn't always the last three books.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by msezda View Post
I'm afraid I don't know how to do that.
Read the thread on NickelMenu and you'll be able to learn how to do it or ask for help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
My Kobo Aura H20 v.2 seemed to be missing Overdrive books, books I'd side-loaded, and some purchased books. Very annoying. Then I realized I needed to select Apply Filters at the top of the Books screen. Nothing was actually missing. The books had just been placed on different "shelves" and were hiding in plain sight. A relief! (Probably this is obvious to everyone else, but sometimes it takes me a while!)
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedros View Post
My Kobo Aura H20 v.2 seemed to be missing Overdrive books, books I'd side-loaded, and some purchased books. Very annoying. Then I realized I needed to select Apply Filters at the top of the Books screen. Nothing was actually missing. The books had just been placed on different "shelves" and were hiding in plain sight. A relief! (Probably this is obvious to everyone else, but sometimes it takes me a while!)
I think we've all done it. The latest time for me was yesterday
Old 07-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
msezda

I don't know what I have done differently, but I just loaded a book and it worked fine. Let's hope it keeps working. Thanks to all who have given advice!
Old 07-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #11
mesamay2003
mesamay2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H20
Sometimes when you load books and they don't show up immediately, you can do a manual sync from the device and they will then show up
mesamay2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo