Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Kobo insiders beta

I recall a long while back some of us were asked if we wanted to opt in to the beta program. We did, and hadn’t heard anything since (at least I hadn’t) until last night. My Forma got an update, the notes just said stuff about the insiders program and how to opt out or submit feedback.

I decided to roll back to the firmware from February 4.26.something which should be the current firmware for non Elipsa devices.

I’m not sure if it was a corrupt file or if something from 4.28 makes the device unhappy if you roll back but doing so rendered my Forma unusable (touching the screen at all would crash the device) until I did a factory reset. I’m leaning towards a corrupt file since after the reset I once again updated to the beta firmware and back down to 4.26 (from a new download of the firmware) and had no problems. However the Forma also had zero books on it at this point.

As was said back when this was first going around I did not sign any form of NDA so I don’t feel as though I need to conceal this information. I also can’t say for sure what changed since I didn’t experiment much. However the nickelmenu hack to enable an inverted screen did not work. I haven’t checked to see if it works on the 4.28 released for the elipsa and of course given that rolling back gave me issues I can’t say for sure if the hack is broken or if something else prevented it from working.

Last edited by MGlitch; 07-21-2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Correcting version numbers
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That's all wrong.

4.26.16704 is the latest released version non-Elipsa devices.

4.28.17925 is the latest released version for the Elipsa.

So I have no idea where you got 4.16 and 4.18.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's all wrong.

4.26.16704 is the latest released version non-Elipsa devices.

4.28.17925 is the latest released version for the Elipsa.

So I have no idea where you got 4.16 and 4.18.
Actually the only thing wrong was the single digits following the “.” which most should be able to correct in their heads. But I’ll go ahead and edit since you’ve brought it to my attention.

Point was that the beta going around is potentially a one way upgrade if you have books on the device.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Considering how Kobo has no package management to speak of and updates are a simple delta of changed files, I would consider rolling back without Factory reset to be more of a happy accident when it works.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Considering how Kobo has no package management to speak of and updates are a simple delta of changed files, I would consider rolling back without Factory reset to be more of a happy accident when it works.
Possibly, I’ve just had good luck when doing it in the past.
Advert
Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Where do you get that idea? Each update package is a complete copy of everything, not just changes. That includes all OS file, the kernel and the uBoot image and of course the application code.

Rolling back firmware is not supported by Kobo. It usually works, but, it can fail depending on what changes have been made.The most common is because of database changes, including migration activities of the data as well as adding columns. Going back a few versions is usually OK, but, there are firmware versions that are effectively break points. I'd say the step from 4.26.x to 4.28.x is one of them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I recall a long while back some of us were asked if we wanted to opt in to the beta program. We did, and hadn’t heard anything since (at least I hadn’t)
I still haven't. After joining the Kobo Insiders program late last year, I received an invitation to apply to join the beta program. The email mentioned a focus on users with disabilities, so I thought having given them information about mine in the membership survey, I might hear back. I guess I should probably stop waiting by now.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I recall a long while back some of us were asked if we wanted to opt in to the beta program. We did, and hadn’t heard anything since (at least I hadn’t) until last night. My Forma got an update, the notes just said stuff about the insiders program and how to opt out or submit feedback.

I decided to roll back to the firmware from February 4.26.something which should be the current firmware for non Elipsa devices.

I’m not sure if it was a corrupt file or if something from 4.28 makes the device unhappy if you roll back but doing so rendered my Forma unusable (touching the screen at all would crash the device) until I did a factory reset. I’m leaning towards a corrupt file since after the reset I once again updated to the beta firmware and back down to 4.26 (from a new download of the firmware) and had no problems. However the Forma also had zero books on it at this point.

As was said back when this was first going around I did not sign any form of NDA so I don’t feel as though I need to conceal this information. I also can’t say for sure what changed since I didn’t experiment much. However the nickelmenu hack to enable an inverted screen did not work. I haven’t checked to see if it works on the 4.28 released for the elipsa and of course given that rolling back gave me issues I can’t say for sure if the hack is broken or if something else prevented it from working.
You should only get the preview versions if you have an entry in the config file to accept them. And Kobo also use the serial number of the device. They may have changed this and are just using your serial number to decide. You could check you config file for a line with "AcceptPreviewUpgrades" in the "FeatureSettings". If it is there and has the value "true", then it will accept any preview versions offered. Removing it, or changing it to "false" should prevent them. Maybe putting it in with a value of "false" will prevent using the preview in the future.

I'd suggest contacting them to see what is happening. They may have decided to use the previously signed up people, but, they should have notified you again before doing that. Of course, that email might be in your junk mail.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:10 PM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where do you get that idea? Each update package is a complete copy of everything, not just changes. That includes all OS file, the kernel and the uBoot image and of course the application code.
Now that you challenge me on it,, I don't know. Clearly it's obviously wrong since you don't have to install each consecutive update.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:03 AM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard

I don’t recall when I signed up but I never mentioned having a disability. This is also the first time I’ve received an update that I can recall, I tend to install OTA so I’d think I’d get the beta had it been offered before. I also never got notifications that I’d been accepted just that my initial thing had been accepted.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:23 AM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don’t recall when I signed up but I never mentioned having a disability.
It was one of those Insider surveys they run sporadically that asked. Shortly after completing it, I received an email that mentioned my responses to that survey and said that was why I was being invited to apply for the beta program, which I did. The last reply I received was an automated acknowledgement that my application had been received. A a fan and a fairly frequent purchaser (averaging better than 1 purchase a week in the course of my Kobo membership so far), I thought it would have been fun and interesting to be part of the beta, but , as they inflated saying goes, that wish and $3 will get me a cup of coffee
Old 07-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Is it possible to apply to this program still? The only link I found was from 2015, and it's dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Is it possible to apply to this program still? The only link I found was from 2015, and it's dead.
If there is, I'd apply if only to suggest the perfect name for a new Forma, with the note taking functions of the Elipsa and the lighting issues of the present Forma: The penumbra.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #14
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I received an update the other night, to 4.28.17961, dated 2021-07-20. I also have the "Welcome, Kobo Insiders!" release notes. I'm on an Aura H2Ov1 btw.

I figured signing up for the Beta would be interesting. Guess I'll see how it goes. (To my knowledge, like MGlitch, this is the first Beta load I've received.)

Just to let you know, davidfor, there is no AcceptPreviewUpgrades field in my Kobo ereader.conf file.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Just to let you know, davidfor, there is no AcceptPreviewUpgrades field in my Kobo ereader.conf file.
I asked. It seems they have configured the people on the Insiders list to not need this. There should be an email coming out about what is happening.