Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Scrambled text in Kindle Reader for PC

Any idea what the problem is? I'm on Windows 10 and just downloaded Kindle Reader for PC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scrambled-text.png
Views:	114
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	188268

Last edited by issybird; 07-21-2021 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Oversize image attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:10 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
No, but I've seen it before. Only with MOBI files or ePUBs created locally, however.

Is that a purchased book or one you made yourself?

hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2021, 01:09 AM   #3
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, but I've seen it before. Only with MOBI files or ePUBs created locally, however.

Is that a purchased book or one you made yourself?

hitch
It's a purchased book.

Just spent an hour on chat with Amazon help trying to fix it. I've had nothing but problems with Kindle for PC Reader, both on Windows 7 and now on Windows 10.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:31 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
It's a purchased book.

Just spent an hour on chat with Amazon help trying to fix it. I've had nothing but problems with Kindle for PC Reader, both on Windows 7 and now on Windows 10.
I've never seen it on K4PC. I've had a customer see it on K4Mac and I've seen it, with my own eyes, (and had screencaps from customers) who've seen it, on KP3.

It's not K4PC-centric. I'm sorry I wish I could say "do this" and fix it, wave my wand and say "Straightenoutus!," but I got nuthin' here for you. Each time it's happened, though, we've had the customer delete the book and reload it, from the jump and that usually fixes it. Ask KDP if they can push the book to you again (having deleted it first).

Sorry, wish I had something more solid for you.

Hitch
Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
I am curious what books this is. Can you share the ASIN?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Possibly a video driver issue?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Ditto. I wish I'd realized that it was "real" and not just a problem with emulated files. Dammit.

Hitch
Old 07-24-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The problem of scrambled text is with every book. I have approx. a dozen Kindle books and the text is scrambled in all of them. During chat, Amazon had me download a free Kindle book to see what would happen, and the text was scrambled with that book too. I've deleted and re-loaded the Kindle for PC Reader app multiple times. I've tried deleting and re-loading books many times as well. Nothing has worked.

After the K4PC app update in February, I couldn't even launch the app (in Windows 7). It downloaded fine, by wouldn't open. But I noticed a few weeks ago before I upgraded to Windows 10, the K4PC app finally opened in Win 7. Amazon must have made a patch for Win 7 users.

Now in Windows 10, I can open the reader no problem, but the text is scrambled.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I have Windows 7 and can't open Kindle 4 PC. I'm not going to bother with it, using Calibre to read books on my PC.

Do you have an ereader? Or is the app your only way to read kindle ebooks?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:06 AM   #10
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
There's the Kindle Cloud Reader. So no, the desktop app is not the only way.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:53 PM   #11
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I have Windows 7 and can't open Kindle 4 PC. I'm not going to bother with it, using Calibre to read books on my PC.

Do you have an ereader? Or is the app your only way to read kindle ebooks?
I don't have an e-reader. I use my desktop PC normally. I can also use the cloud reader (which I've had to with all the problems), but I just prefer to have it on my PC.

This is really poor app development by Amazon.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:08 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Have you considered buying an ereader?

Wait . . . I wonder if this is some Amazon plot to force peeps to purchase kindles?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Have you considered buying an ereader?

Wait . . . I wonder if this is some Amazon plot to force peeps to purchase kindles?
If this were an issue for everyone, then I would be worried. As it isn't, I think we're ok.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I don't have an e-reader. I use my desktop PC normally. I can also use the cloud reader (which I've had to with all the problems), but I just prefer to have it on my PC.

This is really poor app development by Amazon.
To be fair, this is a relatively new development. It's not endemic; doesn't affect everyone and given that K4PC is covering what, 3 generations of Windows computers and the same for Mac, I'm surprised, TBH, that it doesn't have MORE issues.

You can always use KCR, if you don't wish to use a device. Or your phone with K4...(droid or iOS), or a tablet (ditto).

Hitch
Old 07-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #15
salamanderjuice
Evangelist
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Did you upgrade to Windows 10 by upgrading your existing 7 install? Have you tried updating the drivers for whatever GPU your computer has?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote