Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
eatyourpaprikash
eatyourpaprikash began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Any automated Kindle Page turners?

hi, I just got 2 new kindlePW4s for christmas. One for dad and one for myself. My dad has some mobility issues and I found a thing called Lazykindle online. The funny thing is, i have all the parts required. However, it requires a jailbreak. Is there anyway one could plug a device into the kindle to allow for a button device to change the page. It sits up on his desk and it would make it alot easier for him. I am also lazy when i lay on my back and prop the kindle up and a remote would be sweet. thanks so much
eatyourpaprikash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatyourpaprikash View Post
hi, I just got 2 new kindlePW4s for christmas. One for dad and one for myself. My dad has some mobility issues and I found a thing called Lazykindle online. The funny thing is, i have all the parts required. However, it requires a jailbreak. Is there anyway one could plug a device into the kindle to allow for a button device to change the page. It sits up on his desk and it would make it alot easier for him. I am also lazy when i lay on my back and prop the kindle up and a remote would be sweet. thanks so much
No, I keep sending kindle-feedback suggestion to support Bluetooth keyboards or simple clickers (as used to advance slides on a phone/tablet/laptop).

If you connect a speaker or headset, you can turn on VoiceView and it will turn the pages as it reads the screen. But you have to learn how to use VoiceView.

The iOS app does not support keyboard navigation either.

Fire tablet will do this however, and it is cheaper.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Voice view can be installed on the PW3 if you add USB2G microSD plug to USB host socket (A) adaptor or cable and a cheap $3 ebay USB audio stick, often described as 5.1 or 7.1 (they are just stereo). They work on Android phones and tablets too to have an audio in socket.
Not elegant but works. Actually the voice view interface is dreadful on the paperwhite 2015 (PW3). You need to download the files from Amazon. The Kindle DX and Kindle keyboard have better audio navigation!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Voice view can be installed on the PW3 if you add USB2G microSD plug to USB host socket (A) adaptor or cable and a cheap $3 ebay USB audio stick, often described as 5.1 or 7.1 (they are just stereo). They work on Android phones and tablets too to have an audio in socket.
Not elegant but works. Actually the voice view interface is dreadful on the paperwhite 2015 (PW3). You need to download the files from Amazon. The Kindle DX and Kindle keyboard have better audio navigation!
VoiceView interface is designed for people with significant visual impairment. It is designed very well for that requirement.

Which is why I keep sending requests to kindle-feedback to add text-to-speech capabilities as existed on Kindle Touch and prior Kindles.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
eatyourpaprikash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
No, I keep sending kindle-feedback suggestion to support Bluetooth keyboards or simple clickers (as used to advance slides on a phone/tablet/laptop).

If you connect a speaker or headset, you can turn on VoiceView and it will turn the pages as it reads the screen. But you have to learn how to use VoiceView.

The iOS app does not support keyboard navigation either.

Fire tablet will do this however, and it is cheaper.
Ya i agree. I really wish they would allow bluetooth keyboards or simple clickers. I have the converter and the damn presentation clicker does left/right arrow basically. It be perfect for him as the VOICE View does not seem to work for us. I will try and see if i can get that to work again. I will also send feedback. Only thing pissing me off about this kindle is that. Any idea if old KOBOs work with bluetooth/clickers/keyboards bc we do have an old koboglo
Advert
Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think so.
Very few eReaders have bluetooth and I think only for audio playback. Keyboards / clickers are a different protocol.
I've tried USB keyboards that work on an Android phone via the USB A socket to USB micro adaptor, with and without a powered hub. Four different Kindles, Kobo H2O original, Cover Story, Binatone Readme, Sony PRS350 and Nook Simple Touch. Nothing.
Even the stupid TV and blueray player works with proprietary wireless keyboard with USB dongle or any USB keyboard.
No doubt if the port supports host mode someone can hack it. Obviously the PW3 supports host mode as a generic USB audio stick works. If it's not actually a USB2G port, then no firmware patch can fix it.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
eatyourpaprikash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I don't think so.
Very few eReaders have bluetooth and I think only for audio playback. Keyboards / clickers are a different protocol.
I've tried USB keyboards that work on an Android phone via the USB A socket to USB micro adaptor, with and without a powered hub. Four different Kindles, Kobo H2O original, Cover Story, Binatone Readme, Sony PRS350 and Nook Simple Touch. Nothing.
Even the stupid TV and blueray player works with proprietary wireless keyboard with USB dongle or any USB keyboard.
No doubt if the port supports host mode someone can hack it. Obviously the PW3 supports host mode as a generic USB audio stick works. If it's not actually a USB2G port, then no firmware patch can fix it.
Do you have a link to where i could write into support. This is so ridiculously stupid. Hell, when i make notes in book it be amazing to use a bluetooth keyboard compared to the inefficient shit touch e-ink screen. I cant believe they did not think to allow that.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You might be thinking of this experimental "KindleLazy" that someone concocted a while back. I don't know if it still works, but it seems some people have re-compiled and gotten it to work. You do need to jailbreak.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=278776
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatyourpaprikash View Post
Do you have a link to where i could write into support. This is so ridiculously stupid. Hell, when i make notes in book it be amazing to use a bluetooth keyboard compared to the inefficient shit touch e-ink screen. I cant believe they did not think to allow that.
Amazon only have the Kindle so as to sell ebooks. Annotation would be a niche. Generally software development other than for DRM and to monitor what you are reading and promote the "shop" is glacial on all ereaders sold by people selling books.

It's not the only issue on Kindle, Kobo & Nook, or the app versions.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
Get an older paperwhite 3, jailbreak it with a serial cable, purchase the remote in the KindleLazy thread, install KindleLazy and your Dad will be good to go. It's currently the ONLY way I know of to get remote page turn for an ereader. It's so pathetic to write that in 2019, but, that's the current state of things.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref.../dp/B00QJEL42Y

Also you can score a paperwhite scratch and dent for 50 bucks. Perfect for hacking away at.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...lnd_cat_pc_5_2

Last edited by eruditionastic; 02-28-2019 at 10:22 AM.
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:09 AM   #11
Noey3
Noey3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The kindle keyboard and kindle DX have the text to speech function. Turn it on in the menu in the Aa button, then turn the volume all the way down. The pages turn automatically as the voice reads whether you can hear it or not. You can choose default speed or a little faster or slower. It requires the older kindle but might be useful.
Noey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #12
eddington
eddington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I hate Amazon so much. It would be so simple for them to support clickers but they won't do it. Their crappy touchscreen doesnt even work half the time.
eddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddington View Post
I hate Amazon so much. It would be so simple for them to support clickers but they won't do it. Their crappy touchscreen doesnt even work half the time.
I've never heard that Kindle touchscreens are crappy. I've used some Kindles with a touchscreen and I have never had a problem. If there really was a problem, there would be many posts about it.

Most Readers do not support clickers. If you really wanted such, you should have looked into it before you bought.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #14
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
They Do Exist......

Surprisingly these things do exist......

https://smile.amazon.com/SYUKUYU-Con.../dp/B08T8CZYF3
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #15
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Surprisingly these things do exist......

https://smile.amazon.com/SYUKUYU-Con.../dp/B08T8CZYF3
Thanks a lot for the link. Ordering one tomorrow.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote