Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, I'm going to go ahead and try it ...
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, I'm going to go ahead and try it ...
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like you're sending me off on a dangerous mission ...
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

To boldly go where no cat has gone before
Old 06-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Your mission Catlady, should you choose to accept it, is to infiltrate Playster as a member and report back on you findings...

As always, should you or any of your MR Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in ten seconds. Good luck, Catlady.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Your mission Catlady, should you choose to accept it, is to infiltrate Playster as a member and report back on you findings...

As always, should you or any of your MR Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in ten seconds. Good luck, Catlady.

...good one
Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

"My destiny calls and I go,
And the wild winds of fortune
Will carry me onward,
Oh whithersoever they blow.
Whithersoever they blow,
Onward to glory I go!"

Spoiler:
"I, Don Quixote," Man of La Mancha
Old 06-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
"My destiny calls and I go,
And the wild winds of fortune
Will carry me onward,
Oh whithersoever they blow.
Whithersoever they blow,
Onward to glory I go!"

Spoiler:
"I, Don Quixote," Man of La Mancha
Well, the Playster logo does look sort of like a windmill.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

My first issue with the Playster app is the volume. I have my phone turned up to max volume and with my earbuds I can barely hear it in a quiet room. If I were trying to listen outside, I wouldn't be able to. I don't see any way to increase the volume somehow within Playster. Actually, the whole app interface is a bit confusing. I downloaded a book, then turned off the wifi, and then couldn't figure out how to access the book--kept getting a screen saying I was offline. Well, duh. Then I tried accessing the DLed book with the wifi on, then turned wifi off, and it played.

It may just be that I'm fumbling around and did something wrong. But the volume issue--that's terrible.

One good thing is that, unlike Hoopla, the audio files apparently download to the SD card rather than to internal memory--a big deal when I have limited internal memory.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #40
Playster
Customer Support
Playster began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
My first issue with the Playster app is the volume. I have my phone turned up to max volume and with my earbuds I can barely hear it in a quiet room. If I were trying to listen outside, I wouldn't be able to. I don't see any way to increase the volume somehow within Playster. Actually, the whole app interface is a bit confusing. I downloaded a book, then turned off the wifi, and then couldn't figure out how to access the book--kept getting a screen saying I was offline. Well, duh. Then I tried accessing the DLed book with the wifi on, then turned wifi off, and it played.

It may just be that I'm fumbling around and did something wrong. But the volume issue--that's terrible.

One good thing is that, unlike Hoopla, the audio files apparently download to the SD card rather than to internal memory--a big deal when I have limited internal memory.
Hi Catlady, thanks for giving it a go. Are you using the iOS app or the Android app?

Thanks.
Playster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playster View Post
Hi Catlady, thanks for giving it a go. Are you using the iOS app or the Android app?

Thanks.
I am using the Android app.

The sound is still on the low end, but is now better--possibly the issue was my phone and not the app.

I thought the books were downloading to the SD card, but I was apparently mistaken--seems that they're going to internal memory, which is an annoyance, because I have limited internal memory and plenty of space on the card.

It's annoying that with a downloaded book, I get weird pops of noise between chapters; I've also occasionally had some skipping and hesitations--and when I go back, it plays OK. This tends to happen at the beginning of a chapter. I could understand it if I were streaming, but I'm not (wifi is turned off).
Old 06-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #42
Playster
Customer Support
Playster began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
I am using the Android app.

The sound is still on the low end, but is now better--possibly the issue was my phone and not the app.

I thought the books were downloading to the SD card, but I was apparently mistaken--seems that they're going to internal memory, which is an annoyance, because I have limited internal memory and plenty of space on the card.

It's annoying that with a downloaded book, I get weird pops of noise between chapters; I've also occasionally had some skipping and hesitations--and when I go back, it plays OK. This tends to happen at the beginning of a chapter. I could understand it if I were streaming, but I'm not (wifi is turned off).
Thanks for this feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

The sound issue is most likely your device – it's the first we've heard of this one, but we'll definitely look out for it in our cross-device testing.

The experience accessing download content is something we'll be working on over the next few weeks, and then improving with a new release. We'll also look into the issue you raised regarding the popping noises.

Unfortunately, we're limited by our distributor as to where audiobooks can be downloaded – for now, anyway. We believe this is a measure to deter users from sharing and duplicating the downloaded content.
Playster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playster View Post
Thanks for this feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

The sound issue is most likely your device – it's the first we've heard of this one, but we'll definitely look out for it in our cross-device testing.

The experience accessing download content is something we'll be working on over the next few weeks, and then improving with a new release. We'll also look into the issue you raised regarding the popping noises.

Unfortunately, we're limited by our distributor as to where audiobooks can be downloaded – for now, anyway. We believe this is a measure to deter users from sharing and duplicating the downloaded content.
I was just going to add to my earlier post something I forgot about: I did reinstall your Android app, so that may have been the reason for the improved sound.

I am pleased with the selection of books--I've been borrowing audiobooks that are not available at the public libraries I belong to. So that makes me happy.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #44
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Catlady, are you still using Playster and liking it?
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdanzie View Post
Catlady, are you still using Playster and liking it?
I am still subscribing to the $10/month plan for audiobooks. My next renewal date is coming up in another week and I'm not sure if I'll continue. Probably I'll stay for another month.

The selection is good, but the app is annoying. I have been using an extra unactivated phone to download books rather than stream them; sometimes, even though a book is supposedly completely downloaded, and all the chapters are listed, the playback will just end. I've had to reconnect to the site, remove the book, and redownload it. Other times, while downloading, the process will hang; however, all the parts did actually download--if I check the last chapter, it's there.

There doesn't seem to be a way to delete a book while offline. And when online, some books that I've tried to delete haven't actually gone away--they've been deleted from my list in the app, but not from the device. I've gotten rid of them by re-adding them and then deleting again, which is downright silly.

Listening with the app isn't pleasant--some books are divided into small segments (under ten minutes), and at each segment there's an annoying bleep-y sound; sometimes the start of a segment will skip (imagine jolting the needle on an old record player) and, more often, there will be an annoying pause (When I re ... ... ... turned; or It was fi ... ... ... ve o'clock). When a book has been divided following the actual chapters, it's bearable, but with short segments, it can drive a person crazy. These defects are not in the files themselves--rewind and play again, and the pauses and skipping are gone.

I've kind of given up on borrowing newly released books from Playster if they are offered through Overdrive. I'd rather be on a long waiting list at the library than struggle along with the Playster app. Instead, I've been working my way through a lot of older books my library doesn't have and presumably won't be getting.

So ... mixed feelings about Playster.