Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Writers Digest going Zinio :(

Up until now, if you subscribed to Writers Digest directly, you got a PDF of the magazine sent to your email address (or rather a link to download it). The price is great ($9) vs the other platforms. However, 3 days ago I got a email saying they were pleased to announce Writers Digest has went Zinio. The next day, I got a email with a link to sign up with Zino so I could get my issue.

For those that don't know, Zinio is a terrible platform. It doesn't have the nice zoom ability that I had with the PDF version (at least with the browser version). And the tablet apps don't run on my tablet. Of course the worst part: DRM. The system is loaded with it. So you pay to "rent" the issues not actually own them. For a reference type content, that is unacceptable.

I contacted Writers Digest and they said there is no longer any option. If you get a subscription from them, it is the Zinio edition. Of course you can buy a single issue from the writers digest shop but and get the PDF (at least at the moment) but that is $6 a issue.

Does anyone know of a platform that still has the PDF? Nook I know does a odd method with a custom format that doesn't zoom that much as the PDF (and of course the DRM issue). How about Google or the Kindle versions?

Last edited by DBDigital; 03-28-2017 at 01:47 AM.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I read Writers Digest online, via my local library and Flipster.

It's an odd arrangement. If I read at my computer using the browser I can download the issue as a PDF -- the actual option is to print one page or the entire magazine, but they deliver the PDF to your computer for local printing. I can't believe anyone actually wants to print out the entire magazine.

If you read on a tablet you can download entire issues for reading offline, but they are downloaded and stored in protected memory. That means I have to download it to my 7" tablet, since it requires at least Android 4.4. My 10" tablet makes for better reading, but I can't transfer it over. But if I download the PDF via the computer I can read it on any of my tablets.

Check with your library to see if they have access to Flipster.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I read Writers Digest online, via my local library and Flipster.

It's an odd arrangement. If I read at my computer using the browser I can download the issue as a PDF -- the actual option is to print one page or the entire magazine, but they deliver the PDF to your computer for local printing. I can't believe anyone actually wants to print out the entire magazine.

If you read on a tablet you can download entire issues for reading offline, but they are downloaded and stored in protected memory. That means I have to download it to my 7" tablet, since it requires at least Android 4.4. My 10" tablet makes for better reading, but I can't transfer it over. But if I download the PDF via the computer I can read it on any of my tablets.

Check with your library to see if they have access to Flipster.
Interesting, when I tried the print option (I was hoping for that outcome) and it tried to print like any other document. I tried a PDF capture (I have "printer" that actually creates a PDF instead), and while that seemed to work, it is only one page. A real pain to grab each page, then recombine them into a proper PDF. But doable I suppose. Odd you don't have to.

I don't think they have Filpster, but I will check. But anyway I was hoping for a method to subscribe and get (and keep) the PDF version. And I thought (perhaps) Google or Kindle versions were better in this case. But I guess they are all the same now.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote