Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
koziej
koziej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can't connect via wifi, but wifi works

Hello.
I had a jailbroken Kindle Touch with working bearbox/ssh server.
I installed usbnetwork package because i needed rsync and it installed properly, but for some reason i can no longer connect ot kindle via WIFI.
Connecting through usbnet works, wifi form kindle works and i can access inter, I can ping my comptuer from kinde, but I cannot ping Kindle from my computer, nor connect (it timeouts)
iptables allow all connections.
I've run out of ideas, where should I look for the source of this problem?

Any hints welcome,

and by the way: thanks for all the great work on Kindle hacking!

Best regards,

m.
koziej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Did you ever tweak iptables yourself, and how did you configure USBNet?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
koziej

I didn't touch iptables, just checked if maybe there are some rules.

I placed update_usbnet_0.15.N_install_touch_pw.bin in /mnt/us using SCP and updated via standard settings->update procedure (i had to enable "lipc-set-prop com.lab126.ota startUpdate 1" for the menu option to be enabled ).
Then i couldn't connect via ssh anymore, so i trind USB cable and managed to log into device.
I found usbnet to be installed where it should, with logfile saying:

Code:
[root@kindle usbnet]# cat usbnetwork_install.log 

usbnetwork v0.15.N, Thu Jan 16 22:15:55 GMT+10:19100 2014
symbolic link /usr/local/bin/dbclient -> /usr/local/bin/dropbearmulti exists, deleting...
symbolic link /usr/local/bin/dropbearconvert -> /usr/local/bin/dropbearmulti exists, deleting...
symbolic link /usr/local/bin/dropbearkey -> /usr/local/bin/dropbearmulti exists, deleting...
symbolic link /usr/local/sbin/dropbear -> /usr/local/bin/dropbearmulti exists, deleting...
symbolic link /usr/local/bin/scp -> /usr/local/bin/dropbearmulti exists, deleting...
/usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key exists, deleting...
/usr/local/bin/dropbearmulti exists, deleting...
/usr/local/bin/usbnetwork.sh exists and is not a symlink, deleting...
Binary /usr/sbin/lsof already exists, skipping...
S/N B011140714771FD1 => NIC 111FD1
mac is valid
kdb keyfile looks ok
Done!
yet the wifi is in staty I described. I can connect out of kindle, I can't connect to Kindle. Pretty strange. Maybe I need some hard reboot of the device? Could it be wifi card problem?

m.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
koziej

also I don't think it's the router problem - It worked this morning without changing anything, I have of course restarted it.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by koziej View Post
I cannot ping Kindle from my computer, nor connect (it timeouts)
iptables allow all connections.
Well - only if you (or some program) altered the iptables.
Normally, it drops all incoming (original) connections.

Install the Kindle Firewall -

Add an "accept" statement to the top of the chain appropriate to what you want to allow and from which device.
Our (my) firewall is structured a chain-per-device and any exceptions go in as rule #1 (each time an exception is made).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
koziej

does it look right?

Code:
 iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40317 
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:40317 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:49317 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:33434 
ACCEPT     all  --  localhost.localdomain  anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             localhost.localdomain
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What knc1 said. On a vanilla device, you shouldn't have been able to connect over WiFi. USBNet doesn't touch that by default.

There's a dedicated setting in USBNet that makes a hole in iptables for SSH over WiFi [and only that] (aptly title 'Enable SSH over WiFI' in the KUAL extension) , but if you want more control over the whole rule set, follow knc1's advice, it's his baby .
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
koziej

Yes! That's right.
There's even USE_WIFI option. I guess my previous usbnet did that by default.
Thank You!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Err, no, that has *never* been the default, because it also disables the 'no password' code path in dropbear .
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by koziej View Post
does it look right?

Code:
 iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40317 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:40317 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:49317 
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:33434 
ACCEPT     all  --  localhost.localdomain  anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             localhost.localdomain
#1 - that looks like the Amazon firewall - I offer zero, zip, nada support for that.

#2 - consistent with the behavior you describe - drops any new incoming connections (except to Amazon's control ports).

#3 - When (If) you install the KUAL firewall, you can disable the BBB (Block Big Brother) feature and still have the more detailed (and easily changed) firewall structure.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, ssh, touch, wifi