Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #46
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Probably not. The samples are added to your BN account, not your device directly, so the device you're using is irrelevant. When it syncs your device with the BN mothership, it downloads the samples in your account. This is true whether you're using a nook device or just the nook app on another platform.
Thanks kezza.

Hopefully they will reconsider this and at least allow it as an option to turn this off.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #47
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Not true. First you have to download the sample. On my Nook, I don't get the option to archive until I download. And, since I don't always have WIFI, that isn't always easy.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #48
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
Plus I don't WANT to archive it, I'd want to delete it, since it's just a sample (probably of a book I don't want).

Seems like the samples have quit coming on mine for the time being...maybe there were a bunch since I'm a new Nook user.
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I've returned to using the NOOK Android app for magazines and I noticed the samples are there. The good thing is you can just delete them with minimal effort. Like someone mentioned previously, there should be a designated area for these things. That way you could peruse them at your leisure. Now folks are just trying to get rid of them regardless of the content.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #50
buttafoo
buttafoo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch Glowlight
You can always prevent your nook from contacting barnes & noble servers by blacklisting barnesandnoble.com and bn.com in your home router. The drawbacks (or benefits, depending on your point of view) are that you won't be able to get auto firmware updates or be able to sync with your account. You'll also have to make sure to turn on wifi only on your home network.
If you go to a cafe, it'll start connecting.

If you're rooted, you can block those domains by adding them to /etc/hosts on your nook. [Again, your nook won't be able to connect to them at all for anything]

ssh into your nook, type:

mount

- note the /dev/block/XXXX and filesystem type entries for /system, then type something like:

mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

This will allow you to edit /etc/hosts. Now do:

echo "127.0.0.1 barnesandnoble.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 bn.com" >> /etc/hosts

And finally restore the read-onlyness:

mount -o ro,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

No reboot required. To undo, remove the two lines from /etc/hosts.
buttafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert