Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Sherten
Sherten began at the beginning.

Device: nook for pc, kindle for pc, mobipocket, adobe digital editions
epub insists in downloading as zip file

Hello. My InDesign CS4, PC, epub-generated files work well until I include a link in a website to download a story. Then they insist on downloading as a zip file. I have unzipped the source file and made sure the mimetype file reads as "application/epub+zip.epub." I have made sure the mimetype file is first in the stacking order and is uncompressed. I have changed every setting in InDesign that I can and back again. I've tried every single tip that I have found in 5 days of searching on this problem and nothing has worked.

I even downloaded Calibre on multiple recommendations and, while I found the program easy to use with several great features and will be making it part of my software library (with a donation), even a file generated out of Calibre still downloads as a zip file.

Currently I have an explanation on the website that changing the zip extension to epub will make the file accessible, but that looks unprofessional.

The file to download on the ftp site has an epub extension, so I have no idea why I get a zip extension during download. Even knowing that would lessen my frustration a little bit. I have found several sites that have the same problem, but no one has any suggestions on how to fix it.

I'm obviously missing something and could really use some help. Thank you in advance for any suggestions, tips, or explanations you may have. I truly appreciate them.
Sherten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Sherten

Once I had submitted this post, it referred me to one like it. I apologize if this post has caused any problems or inconvenience. I will read the other post and try the suggestions given to that one. If I'm still having problems, I shall return. Thank you.
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherten View Post
Hello. My InDesign CS4, PC, epub-generated files work well until I include a link in a website to download a story. Then they insist on downloading as a zip file.
Sounds like a problem with the configuration of the Webserver. I don't think it has anything to do with the ePub files themselves or InDesign.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I believe Shaggy is correct. A quick trip to google returned a straightforward explanation of the solution.

Here's a mime.types file that shows the correct syntax for apache:
application/epub+zip epub

Last edited by brainycat; 09-30-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Found more info
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Sherten

Thank you Shaggy and Brainy Cat for your responses. I appreciate them very much. Being an artist who works with computers, I don't have your experience, although I often wish I did. I envy your familiarity with code.

I am attempting to update my IIS configuration, which, being Microsoft, crashed while I was working on it. Of course. I will study the links you have sent to further my education.

During my search for answers to this problem, I joined several forums, but this is the first one where I received a response. MobileRead is great and is better than those other guys.

Thank you.
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Epub is just a zip file that has been renamed. If you rename it back, all is well again.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Yeah, Mr. Ploppy is right. I actually build my epubs by saving as a zip and then renaming the extension. It just makes my life easier.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Unfortunately, I don't know IIS as well as I know apache. I believe mime types are configured somewhere in the IIS Admin console, but I couldn't begin to think of where to go for your particular version.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Being a cloud developer, I highly recommend that you *don't* use IIS. It's too prone to security holes, and so is the OS it operates on. It's like trying to hold water in a pasta strainer! Apache 2.x on a CentOS Linux box, plus ModSecurity loaded with a good filter set is the best way to go.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Sherten

Thank you Shaggy and BrainyCat multiple times. I edited the htaccess on my web host and, voila, the file now downloads as an epub! I am ecstatic. It was important for me to solve this issue because when I create a website for a client who wants to sell their ePub books on their site, I will also be able to do it for them and make them look professional. It was dead easy to do.

Mr. Lake, I agree with you. IIS was nothing but a problem and was incredibly difficult to work with. It crashed my system. I don't care if mimetypes can be configured there, I will never go back. Apache is the way to go.

And thank you everyone for all your comments. After hours of searching I was not able to find any way to solve my problem until I found this site. It's now in my favorites list.

Sincerely, Sherten