Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
dsuppa
dsuppa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Replacement Kindle after 3 days

So I just got my kindle on Thursday and I love it..........BUT I am already returning it to amazon for a replacement for a few reasons.
From day one I noticed that the right side "Next Page" button was depressed at all times much more than any other button. Another thing is that on the left side bottom corner right below that "Next Page" button is a gap where the back plate meets the front. When you squeeze there you can hear a creaking. Now I'm pretty sure - at least that's what I'm hoping - that these are manufacturer defects and my replacement one will not be like this. But the one thing I'm really concerned about is the screen seems to sometimes fade the font and I need to go back a page then forward again to correct this, is this something anyone else is experiencing?
dsuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
dsuppa

100 views and no replies? Guess no one has experienced this?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't have a Kindle... but, I guess like everyone else, I like to read reports about possible problems and their solutions...
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I guessed I went through a few creaks, grinds, and tweaks as my Kindle and I got accustomed to one another. I didn't know what really to expect to begin with, so felt I was not in much of a position to make a complaint
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
DSuppa,

I'm sure you've just been unlucky and received a defective reader. The problems you mentioned are by no means normal. Get a replacement. It should be fine.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuppa View Post
So I just got my kindle on Thursday and I love it..........BUT I am already returning it to amazon for a replacement for a few reasons.
From day one I noticed that the right side "Next Page" button was depressed at all times much more than any other button. Another thing is that on the left side bottom corner right below that "Next Page" button is a gap where the back plate meets the front. When you squeeze there you can hear a creaking. Now I'm pretty sure - at least that's what I'm hoping - that these are manufacturer defects and my replacement one will not be like this. But the one thing I'm really concerned about is the screen seems to sometimes fade the font and I need to go back a page then forward again to correct this, is this something anyone else is experiencing?
A small percentage of Kindles have had problems with the screen fading in sunlight. If this is what you're talking about, Amazon replaces these Kindles free. A few unlucky souls have gotten more than one that faded in the sun--Amazon has apparently been very good about sending as many Kindles as it takes to get one that doesn't fade, but it seems like it would be disconcerting to have to keep trying.

I have had 2 Kindles and no problems, so I haven't seen these fading screens myself but you can find descriptions on this site, I'm sure.

The problem with the button you're describing is something I haven't seen mentioned before. But Amazon's return policy is pretty good--I suggest you call them and ask about it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
A small percentage of Kindles have had problems with the screen fading in sunlight.
Seems like they need to put a stretch of their assembly conveyer belt in a greenhouse tunnel so they test all assmbled products in sunlight and then take the failures out BEFORE they ship them to customers.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
dsuppa

its not just sunlight its really any light it seems, even at work when Im reading indoors it happens. Oh well new kindle should be waiting at home for me already. Hope this one is better so I don't waste the screen protector on it.