Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I got you all beat... I have 1 page of books on my Kindle to read. I won't get another book to read until there is room. This keeps it from being overwhelming. Of course, my "to read" list is already overwhelming.
Yeah, me too. Besides a few of my own documents, I rarely have more than 7 or 8 books (always samples) at a time. Once I read one, I delete it and get another.

I really don't understand why anybody would want a huge multi-page of collection books. Can you guys explain? Suppose you loose the Kindle. Or you die?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Yeah, me too. Besides a few of my own documents, I rarely have more than 7 or 8 books (always samples) at a time. Once I read one, I delete it and get another.

I really don't understand why anybody would want a huge multi-page of collection books. Can you guys explain? Suppose you loose the Kindle. Or you die?

I do it because I like carrying my entire library around in the space of a paperback. Who knows what I'm in the mood to read in the car or where-ever?

And If I'm careless enough to lose it, I buy another, and redownload, for free, the books I've already bought from Amazon, and reinvest the time to download the free classics.

I don't delete books. They are like friends. I may see some of them rarely, but its nice to know they are there.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post

I back up my Kindle often (last night), so I won't be losing my books.

Why not carry all or quite a few of your books with you, if you can? It doesn't hurt the Kindle. There's no extra weight. It can handle it. It's designed to handle it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
[/color]
I do it because I like carrying my entire library around in the space of a paperback. Who knows what I'm in the mood to read in the car or where-ever?
True... nice thing about the Kindle is you can have all those ebooks in your media library and be able to d/l them whenever you want them. I wish Amazon would provide a way for us to upload/store ebooks that I bought elsewhere in the media library too. I would even pay for that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Price break

If you like Agatha Christie, many of her books are available on Kindle.
They were running $3.49, but most all are now $2.95 and $2.25.............

T here goes my grocery budget again!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #21
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I wonder how many pages Elsi has.
Not that many. 8.5 pages of books -- 35 of which are samples. 5 are newly purchased books from Baen/Webscriptions -- the Herris Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon. I've got a couple of text files with reading lists, series order, etc. Most of the TOR freebies are on the Kindle as are several freebies "purchased" at Amazon purely because they were free. (Since those are mostly SFF or mysteries, they'll get read.) I've got at least 20 books downloaded from MobileRead; the MobileRead and Feedbooks download guides, and one "news feed" from Feedbooks.

I will keep the samples on the Kindle until I either buy the book or decide that I'm not going to buy it at all. They serve as reminders and prompts for me when I'm sulking and looking for something to read.

I do have to confess that I performed maintenance on the Kindle this morning when I was loading the Herris Serrano novels. I deleted 11 books that I had already read, 2 "books" that were experimental conversions from PDF files, 6 back "issues" of the download guides, 2 samples (of books that I had purchased), and 2 books that I just am not in a mood to read any time soon. So, I was probably up to 11 or 12 pages before the maintenance.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
And I haven't loaded all my science fiction. A good bit of the science fiction is books that I've read once but want to read again, some day when I read everything else.

I do manage to read several hours daily, don't watch much television and I try and stay off the internet.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote