Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I got a nice mention!

I just want to share my pleasure in a very nice mention in the Evening Standard:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifest...r-christmas.do

Quote:
But the most charming book of all is a reissue of Noel Langley's Desbarollda, the Waltzing Mouse (Durrant Books, £9.99). It's hard to know whether the mannered prose or the drawings by the great Edward Ardizzone is more captivating.
I don't know if this will put a spike in the sales or not, but it's really nice to have someone else like the book so much.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations! How wonderful to be included in the article.

I have to say that I totally agree with the comment on the illustrations. They are beautiful even in black and white on my Reader. I even viewed them on the laptop to get the experience of color.

Although, this is suppose to be a story for children, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Desbarollda and her life. (Especially with the beautiful illustrations inside the text and the illustrated drop cap first letter of each chapter.) It is a story that would appeal to adults as it touches on aspects / situations of real life, albeit through the eyes and life of a mouse.

Congratulations again, Paul, it really is a nice book and all the work you put into formatting it was worth it.
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
The author, Noel Langley, sounded familiar so I checked wiki. He wrote one of my favourite childhood books, The Land of Green Ginger. I wonder if that's available as an ebook, too? I'd love to re-read it. I'll do some searching.

The illustrator also sounded familiar, so I checked up on him. He illustrated The Land of Green Ginger and another book I enjoyed many (many, ahem, many) years ago, Stig of the Dump.

I downloaded the 50-pct ePub sample of Desbarollda from Smashwords and I'm hooked.

Desbarollda's Dad claimed that he "could speak with authority on seven different kinds of cheese". hehe. This is real 'awww' material.

This is a beautifully laid out book. Well done, Paul, and thank you!

PS: Great reviews above (Evening Standard and dreams)!

Last edited by cbell; 12-19-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Congratulations Paul.

Desbarollda, the Waltzing Mouse is one of two ePubs that I recommend, for members unfamiliar with ePub, as good examples of how an ePub *should* be formatted.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
LJL
Enthusiast
LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
"Most charming book of all," "captivating" -- Congrats!
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Land of Green Ginger is absolutely wonderful. There are actually three versions. The original 1936 version (rare and hard to come by), the re-written 1966 version (twelve-and-a-half chapters), and the cut-down 1976 version.

Unfortunately, only the 1976 version (12 chapters IIRC) is currently available, and I don't think it's in ebook form at all.

And yes, Edward Ardizzone is also amazing. I too loved his stig of the dump illustrations, and he also illustrated the 1966 versions of The Land of Green Ginger, and also wrote an illustrated many childrens' books of his own.

Thanks for the nice comments about Desbarollda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
The author, Noel Langley, sounded familiar so I checked wiki. He wrote one of my favourite childhood books, The Land of Green Ginger. I wonder if that's available as an ebook, too? I'd love to re-read it. I'll do some searching.

The illustrator also sounded familiar, so I checked up on him. He illustrated The Land of Green Ginger and another book I enjoyed many (many, ahem, many) years ago, Stig of the Dump.

I downloaded the 50-pct ePub sample of Desbarollda from Smashwords and I'm hooked.
The /best/ ePub version is the one at Lulu.com. The Smashwords one isn't too bad, but it did have to go through their 'meat-grinder'.

But if you've bought the smashwords one, just drop me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you the 'hand-made' ePub/Mobipocket/PDF version. (Or all three if you like!)
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

Congratulations - hope it helps sales too.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
congratulations ! that is wonderful news. i agree with all the glowing reviews ; the story is absolutely charming, the illustrations are delightful, and it is truly one of the finest, best-crafted epubs i have ever seen (the code is as beautiful as the display ; there is no higher compliment. ). a well-deserved bravo to you, sir, and i hope it will not only lead to a spike in sales but also to the inspiration for you to (re)publish the other books mentioned here by the same author and illustrator ! i would absolutely love to see them, after reading Desbarollda.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Congratulations pdurrant! It's well deserved.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
... i hope it will not only lead to a spike in sales but also to the inspiration for you to (re)publish the other books mentioned here by the same author and illustrator ! i would absolutely love to see them, after reading Desbarollda.
+1 I'd definitely buy the other books (in ebook format), too.

I've searched for The Land of Green Ginger as an ebook and can't find it. I can't buy a dead tree book - I'd hate reading on it.

I'll be buying Desbarollda at Smashwords and I'll PM you soon, Paul.

Wetdogeared - I'm guessing the other ePub you recommend is Zelda's 3 Men in a Boat - it's a work of art, too.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
cbell
Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
I can't buy a dead tree book - I'd hate reading on it.
I just re-read this in my post above and had to laugh when I saw I'd written "reading on it" about a paper book! lol

I definitely have the ebook reader and ebook mentality.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
stevenharper
Connoisseur
stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Coolness!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
cbell
Frenetic

I've read my 50-pct and I want more!

I've just bought Desbarollda at Smashwords and I'll send you a PM, Paul, as the Smashwords ePub isn't as perfect as I think it should be.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #14
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Congrats! Well done you.

Sibel

For previews and purchases of my latest novels:
http://stores.lulu.com/sibelhodge - PDF e-books only
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/sibelhodge - All major e-book formats
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sibelhodge
Closed Thread