Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #136
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
If I can find a way to not Apple sign but use a third party signing tool, I will do that. But I for one do not want to use an OS that will only run/install things that Apple decides on. That is just not right. I purchased a general desktop computing device not a glorified ipad/iphone with Apple closing everything into its walled garden.

A that point, I move back to Linux.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #137
odamizu
maniac
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's terrible. At least on Windows, they don't seem like they're willing (yet) to completely eliminate the user's choice in the matter. They just make it as terrifying as possible (not to mention difficult and completely unintuitive for the uninitiated) to move past the "unknown publisher" warning.
I'm confused. According to Apple's statement, "Gatekeeper will require Developer ID-signed software to be notarized." That's not the same as saying only Developer ID-signed software can be installed and run, is it?

Wouldn't this just mean software from an "unknown publisher" will throw up a warning, just as already happens on Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If I can find a way to not Apple sign but use a third party signing tool, I will do that ...
Okay, thank you. I find myself feeling panicky at the possibility of losing Sigil
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #138
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If I can find a way to not Apple sign but use a third party signing tool, I will do that. But I for one do not want to use an OS that will only run/install things that Apple decides on. That is just not right. I purchased a general desktop computing device not a glorified ipad/iphone with Apple closing everything into its walled garden.

A that point, I move back to Linux.
There's only one valid reason to choose a platform - it runs the software you want to use. Buit it must have been quite a culture shock coming from Linux to Apple!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #139
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
There's only one valid reason to choose a platform - it runs the software you want to use. Buit it must have been quite a culture shock coming from Linux to Apple!
Not really. I have always been a Dec Vax then unix and the AIX/HP-UX,Sparc kind of person and got involved in Linux early on too since it was a unix-based system. In those early days, almost all developers shared their software with each other.

I still use Linux for my research box but made the move to Mac's BSD unix shortly after NextStep was integrated to create OSX as its desktop environment/Finder was simply better than what any other unix like environment was offering.

Apple is just going too far with its we know better walled garden ideas. I don't mind walled gardens on iDevices, just not on a desktop computer.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #140
desk7
Zealot
desk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Data collected

Does Sigil collect some data? Because I see from the firewall log that Sigil connects to internet.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #141
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Does Sigil collect some data? Because I see from the firewall log that Sigil connects to internet.
No data is collected. Sigil occasionally checks a file on github (where Sigil's source code is hosted) to see if a newer version of Sigil is available. It then notifies the user if there is. It does ping a google dns server beforehand to see if there's connectivity.

Many Sigil plugins perform a similar update check when they run.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-28-2018 at 06:03 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #142
desk7
Zealot
desk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toysdesk7 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
No data is collected. Sigil occasionally checks a file on github (where Sigil's source code is hosted) to see if a newer version of Sigil is available. It then notifies the user if there is. It does ping a google dns server beforehand to see if there's connectivity.

Many Sigil plugins perform a similar update check when they run.
Thank you!
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #143
rido_knight
rido_knight began at the beginning.

Device: Aura One
Hi mate. Can you please seperate the font size of CSS / Code view section. For me, I am checking paragraph start from PDF and at the end this action killing my eyes. I want to choose just bigger font <p>, <h1> etc "xhtml tags" not whole content. It will be really awesome. Also if you easy for you I want to choose different fonts for all options too. Thank you for this awesome app. Have a nice day.
rido_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #144
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. Separate font sizes/families for tags vs content in Code View is simply not feasible. Nor is it likely that separate display settings for css/html will be implemented. If you need that degree of customization, you'd probably be better served using an external (and full-fledged) code editor (check out Sigil's "Open With" feature). Sigil has no aspirations to rival the feature-sets of dedicated code editing IDEs.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #145
najgori
Connoisseur
najgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one hand

How hard it would be to add emmet to sigil editor?
Emmet is implemented in almost every code editor that exist.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2018 at 09:51 AM.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #146
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
How hard it would be to add emmet to sigil editor?
No idea. It certainly wouldn't be trivial at all. And beefing up Sigil's code editing feature set is simply not a direction we're leaning. We're not looking to overhaul Code View in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
Emmet is implemented in almost every code editor that exist.
Makes perfect sense for pure code editing IDEs. But as I've mentioned, we're not really looking to expand on Sigil's code-editing feature set. Those environments already exist--use them. Sigil is an epub editor, not a full-featured code-editing IDE. Folks needing that kind of environment should do their editing outside of Sigil and then import it when done (or use Sigil's Open With feature).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #147
najgori
Connoisseur
najgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one handnajgori can read with one hand

ok. thanx.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #148
rido_knight
rido_knight began at the beginning.

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Sorry. Separate font sizes/families for tags vs content in Code View is simply not feasible. Nor is it likely that separate display settings for css/html will be implemented. If you need that degree of customization, you'd probably be better served using an external (and full-fledged) code editor (check out Sigil's "Open With" feature). Sigil has no aspirations to rival the feature-sets of dedicated code editing IDEs.
Thank you for reply. Actually "Mend and Prettifiying HTML" option is really helped for me after that day. I never used that option. Thank you again.

Last edited by rido_knight; 11-05-2018 at 07:10 AM.
rido_knight is offline   Reply With Quote