Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Book tracking without social networking

I've started a bunch of new series in the past couple of years and need a way to keep track of them all. When it's a year or more between books, and I get through 2-3 books a week, it's easy to forget to check on new books in the series.

So I'm looking for websites or apps that will help me keep track of the books that I've read. Note that I mostly read library books, and about 30% print, so these are books that are not in my Calibre library.

I signed up for Goodreads but to my horror the first thing they said they did was go through my email contact list to see if any of my contacts are also on GR. I'm not entirely sure how that works - do they really have access to the contacts list on my email address book? I definitely do NOT want this "feature". Short of creating a new email address specifically for goodreads, are there any other websites I can look into? I know of LibraryThing and Shelfari, but as I understand it they do the same thing.

I know I can go old-school and keep a spreadsheet, but then I would have to enter all the details instead of just searching the existing database.

TIA
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Take a look at FictFact (http://www.fictfact.com/) - designed to track books in series - existing back lists, new additions, & your personal reading stats within each series.

Sharing with friends is optional.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I started using the app Book Catalogue, which I liked well enough, but then I reverted to simply keeping track on a spreadsheet.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I keep track in Calibre. I simply added another column where I enter the date I finished the book. Since I use Calibre anyway, it's really not a bother at all to enter the date.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I also just use Calibre to keep track of what I'm reading. I know I felt the same way about GR.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Series tracking sites I've used:
I also make heavy use of Goodreads and have no complaints about Goodreads' having ever invaded my privacy or shared unwanted information; one can configure Goodreads' settings to achieve desired levels of privacy or sharing - both at Goodreads and at other social media sites, such as Facebook. However, for greater peace of mind, you could create an "alias" email address or an actual dedicated email account for use with Goodreads, that won't have any contacts for Goodreads to find.

Last edited by Froide; 05-30-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
So I'm looking for websites or apps that will help me keep track of the books that I've read. Note that I mostly read library books, and about 30% print, so these are books that are not in my Calibre library.

I signed up for Goodreads but to my horror the first thing they said they did was go through my email contact list to see if any of my contacts are also on GR. I'm not entirely sure how that works - do they really have access to the contacts list on my email address book? I definitely do NOT want this "feature".
Goodreads can't access your email contact list unless you give it permission - just don't give it permission. Simple as that. Then set your profile to Private.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I signed up for Goodreads but to my horror the first thing they said they did was go through my email contact list to see if any of my contacts are also on GR. I'm not entirely sure how that works - do they really have access to the contacts list on my email address book?
Goodreaders is a website; it does not have access to anything on your PC. Don't worry about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Goodreaders is a website; it does not have access to anything on your PC. Don't worry about it.
It's amazing how well various web sites manage to track what you are doing and extrapolate things about you.

To get back to the original question, are you looking for a site that well notify you when new books in series come out?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I keep wanting to do something like this, and then, I completely forget to update things. I had a goodreads account for yonks. Never remembered to update.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I also use Calibre to keep track of my library books. I import the library book into Calibre, delete the epub and replace it with an epub containing the words "no text". I then download metadata and use the modify epub plugin to create the book jacket. This way I have the book in my list with a description and rating. I also keep a copy of it in Calibre Companion on my devices.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I would also recommend FictFact. The only thing to be aware of is that they only track book releases in the US.

Its very easy to get started and you can mark a whole series as read in one go and then go back and mark any books as Unread if necessary.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I keep wanting to do something like this, and then, I completely forget to update things. I had a goodreads account for yonks. Never remembered to update.
I use authoralerts to notify me when a favored author has a new release. That might work for you if the issue is forgetting to check the web site. Authoralerts has a few holes in it, but it's a useful tool.

http://www.authoralerts.com/

is the website. You create an account and then add authors that you want to be notified about.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Re: GR - I'm using webmail and as soon as I created my account, the GR site actually said they were going through my contacts list to see if there were other GR members there. And I didn't register via one of those buttons, though my email provider is there. That is what disturbed me, that they would do that *before* I had a chance to set my privacy options.

Purple Lady - that sounds like more work than keeping a spreadsheet!
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Re: GR - I'm using webmail and as soon as I created my account, the GR site actually said they were going through my contacts list to see if there were other GR members there. And I didn't register via one of those buttons, though my email provider is there. That is what disturbed me, that they would do that *before* I had a chance to set my privacy options.

Purple Lady - that sounds like more work than keeping a spreadsheet!
I just do the same as I do for all the books I add to Calibre, except I delete the book since I don't own it.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote