Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Using Calibre with Aluratek Libre

I got an Aluratek Libre tonight. I have been jonesing for a second reader because I have a lot of magazines and fanfic and stuff which I want to read at home but don't want to clutter my Kindle with since there is no way to organize it. I had a Future Shop giftcard and the Libre was almost $50 cheaper than the Sony Pocket Reader, so I bought one.

Now...best way to get books on it. I want to use Calibre so it will preserve my metadata for author name and book title. Everything in Calibre is in mobi already, is this the best format to use?

And how to get it on there---must I use the SD card or can I load it directly into the reader? And then how to make folders and sort the books---can I load the books on using Calibre and then open it like a disk drive on the desktop to create folders and move the files into the right one? And can I do nested folders like magazines and ten inside magazines have Asimovs, Ellery Queen etc?

Any other tips/tricks? Thanks in advance!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
It has been my experience that Calibre will save your books, by default, nested as follows

{author_sort}\{title} - {authors}

You'll have to adjust settings in the preferences/add-save section if that does not suit you needs, and in your case... it does not.

The people over in the calibre forum on this may be more assistance.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I use Calibre and I have a Libre. But I don't exactly use them together. I use Calibre to convert my books to my preferred format, and to update my metadata. Then I just copy the book files manually to the SD card on my Libre. This can be done by plugging the Libre into the computer, or by using an SD card reader.

I created a folder structure on my SD card, something like:

Fiction/Suspense/Deaver, Jeffery (and all my Deaver books are dropped into this folder).
Fiction/Classics/Dickens, Charles
Non-Fiction/Philosophy/Plato

I ignore the folders created by Calibre, but leave the book file names as Calibre creates them, which is "The Blue Nowhere - Jeffery Deaver".

Once the files are on my SD card, I delete the files and folder created by Calibre. I back up my collection by copying the contents of the SD card, so that my folder structure is maintained.

But you can also copy the files onto your Libre, as well as save the all the files and folders that Calibre creates for it's database - if you would like to have a better library on your PC, with all the metadata available.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
The nice thing about the Libre as well as the jetBook(s) is that you can access the storage as you would any external media. Internal memory (112 - 118 megs approx) can only be accessed via the USB cable. Access to the SD card will show up if installed in the reader. You can set up any folder structure you want. They both support SDHC which is where I would concentrate most of my documents to. The Libre supports Adobe Digital Editions (ePub DRM). The jetBook (not the Lite version) is still waiting for DRM support.

I would recommend setting up your initial Folder structure via your PC connection and not via the on board "SD Card file manager" just because it is easier to do.

Ezeechair
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I did some experimenting and what I wound up doing was using 'save to disk in one directory' and then deleting the formats I would not use (e.g. it would send a zip, mobi and jpg to the folder and I would delete the zip and jpg). Interestingly, I found mobi files I created myself in Calibre looked terrible, no line breaks at all, on the Libre. But when I converted the same files to epub, they looked fine. So I think the problem is with the Libre, not with my files and I guess I will just use epub or text.
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I think you can also do a "save specific format to disk" ... or something like that. I do the same and save only ePUB.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I just right-click on the book in Calibre and select the "Open containing folder" then
drag&drop the version I want into where I want it, in the structure I've built on the
SD card. (When XP discovers that I've inserted the SD card in the reader, I have it
open a folder of it, on my desktop.)
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard

Oh! I didn't know that trick. Thanks!