Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
64-bit crashes on load

I really had hopes for this program (sigil) but I'm having all kinds of problems getting it to load.

I have a 64-bit Win7 machine. I tried both the .1.9 and .2 beta versions. Both crashed on loading.

I tried the 32 bit and it runs...sllllloooooowwwwwly.

I've tried turning off Norton, but that didn't help. I've tried installing the C++ drivers recommended on the main site, but I still can't get it to run.

Anybody have any ideas?

If it makes any difference, for some reason my WYSIWIG HTML editor, Namo, has started running really slow as well. Granted I work with large files, but they're 99.9% text, with simple formatting. The only challenging objects are my ToCs.

Last edited by JaneFancher; 04-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Sorry to hear of your problem. I don't think it's Sigil, however. I'm using the 64-bit beta in Windows 7 with astonishingly fast speeds. Like, two or three seconds to save a 600+ large-paged programming manual with images and lots of formatting for the code indentations. I suppose there could be something different about your book that Sigil doesn't like ...

Good luck finding the solution.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I never even get the chance to try loading the book on the 64 bit. It stops running before it ever starts. The file is really very clean.

It's got to be something in the computer, but I don't know where to start. I just did a clean reinstall of vista and upgraded directly to 7. Sigh...hopefully someone somewhere has had the same problem. I have another computer that can run the 32bit program, so I'll probably just use it, but this is my main computer and I'd love figure out what its problem is.

Last edited by JaneFancher; 04-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Jane, I can check your ePub against my installation if you wish, since my setup should be identical. That would narrow it down, show whether it's the book or the system at fault. Let me know here or in a PM and I'll send my email address back in a PM so that you can send it as an attachment.

If it's something you don't want to send to a total stranger I understand.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
I've got the same problem. Windows 7 and every time I start any of the 64bit versions of Sigil it's crashing on load. 32bit is loading without any problems.
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Well I have Win7 x64 and I run the x64 version of Sigil just fine. So do many others. I'm afraid it must be something with your installations of Windows/drivers/whatever.

Also, there's a difference between having a 64 bit capable machine (that is, CPU) and a 64 bit operating system. If you have a 64 bit capable machine but run a 32 bit OS on it, you still cannot run any 64 bit applications. You need both.

Go to Control Panel -> System and find the architecture string. It should say something like "System type: 64-bit operating system", or 32 if it's 32.

Or you can just post a screenshot.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
... I just did a clean reinstall of vista and upgraded directly to 7.
If you were running the 32bit version of Vista (as the vast majority of users were) then you could only upgrade to the 32bit version of Windows 7. Unless you did a custom install, which would mean any previously installed programs would not run.

If you are running the 32bit version of Windows 7 then the 64bit Sigil really shouldn't get any further then saying "Sorry can't install this version try 32bit version" or something similar.
It may be a bug in the installer that allows wrong version to install successfully when in reality is hasn't.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
JaneFancher
Zealot

Nope. I'm definitely 64 bit OS. Got lots of RAM for graphics and 32 bit can't use it. The ONLY reason I ended up with a Vista machine at all was because my main graphics laptop went belly up this summer and I had to do a fast replacement.

Valloric, I don't question the program, which looks oh-so-promising on my lesser machine. I'm just hoping that someone else has had the same problem and might know where to start looking. I really don't have anything particularly exotic on this except all the junk HP insists on loading onto one of their machines. Stuff it takes more time than I have to devote to it to clear out safely, they've embedded it so thoroughly.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
If you are running the 32bit version of Windows 7 then the 64bit Sigil really shouldn't get any further then saying "Sorry can't install this version try 32bit version" or something similar.
It may be a bug in the installer that allows wrong version to install successfully when in reality is hasn't.
It's a problem with InstallJammer which I use to generate the installers. The IJ devs say the next version of IJ should remedy this.

Until then, it's up to people to know what type of OS they are running.

Quote:
Nope. I'm definitely 64 bit OS. Got lots of RAM for graphics and 32 bit can't use it. The ONLY reason I ended up with a Vista machine at all was because my main graphics laptop went belly up this summer and I had to do a fast replacement.
Did you take a look in Control Panel -> System? I'm not saying you're clueless , I'm just saying please check. A screenshot would be very nice.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
JaneFancher
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Did you take a look in Control Panel -> System? I'm not saying you're clueless , I'm just saying please check. A screenshot would be very nice.
Heh heh...no offense taken. Yeah, I'm sure. Been doing this computer thing a long time. Having said this, I now have to figure how to upload a pic to this site. What I am noticing...this was supposed to come with 8GB Ram and it's only showing 4. I'm wondering if I have a dead chip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OS.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	49017  

Last edited by JaneFancher; 04-01-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Valloric, I don't question the program, which looks oh-so-promising on my lesser machine. I'm just hoping that someone else has had the same problem and might know where to start looking. I really don't have anything particularly exotic on this except all the junk HP insists on loading onto one of their machines. Stuff it takes more time than I have to devote to it to clear out safely, they've embedded it so thoroughly.
Did you by any chance upgrade your Vista to Windows 7 or did you do a fresh install of Windows 7? It seems you can have issues when you upgrade Vista in place as some of the Vista nastiness can remain.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Valloric

I'd agree with JSWolf here, it could be related to the Windows upgrade process, which is notoriously unreliable.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
JaneFancher
Zealot

Thanks everybody.

Ack...I was afraid of that.

It is an upgrade from Vista. I was forced into buying a vista machine last summer...just before 7 came available, but only with the assurance that I'd get Win7 when it came out. I did a clean sweep of the disk with a restore install of Vista, then did the upgrade over the top of that.

The Win7 disk I got as part of the purchase is capable (so it says) of a clean install, but since it's an HP laptop with all sorts of proprietary garbage on it, I wasn't sure if a clean install would work. It would mean I'd lose the graphics program that was part of why I bought the machine, but I might have to do it anyway, if it'll work. Grrrr....

Can someone tell me if there is any reason [I]not[I] to do a clean install on a laptop? I do it all the time on the desktops I build, but the laptops are still a bit black box to me....tho come to think of it, I've torn apart a couple of them now and gotten them back together...maybe it's not that different.

If it makes any difference, I tried installing Sigil in Safe Mode. It will come up in Safe, but not run. Since the Safe Drivers are all coming out of the system 32 folder, I probably shouldn't be surprised. I suppose I could start taking things out of the startup menu, see if I can isolate the cause, but....wow, that would take longer than a clean install, even with all the programs I'd have to put on.

Wow...Just what I wanted for Easter...another computer problem.

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I always wipe my machines and do a clean install to get rid of the crapware so many OEMs put on their machines.
They way I do it is.

1) Ensure I have the correct copy of Windows either on USB or DVD (wintoflash is great for this.)

2) Download all the drivers for the OEM website.

3) Backup the current state of the machine (Windows Backup/Acronis True Image/Norton Ghost) so that if I f**k up I can just restore and try again. Miss out this step and things WILL go wrong, you have been warned!

4) Boot from the USB/DVD and do a custom install, including deleting the current partition(s).

5) Install any basic drivers needed to access internet. (Usually just ethernet card)

6) Allow windows update to fully patch the machine, sometimes takes two or three updates depending on how old the OS is.

7) Install any other drivers needed (display/sound).

8) Backup my nice clean version of the machine.

9) Install any other software need.

10) Have fun using my new computer.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
I'm also sure that my Windows 7 is 64bit.
And my Windows 7 isn't an update from Vista. I'installed it the normal way.

Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, load, sigil, slow