Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
ePub reader for WinCE devices

Hi all,

I recently got myself a 7 inch WinCE MID, the Jointech JE200. I am in the process of modifying ZuluReader, my ePUB reader for WinMobile to work on the screen resolutions found on most WinCE MIDs.

I have changed the 'home' and 'book' screens and put an update on the site for those interested to download and try out. I am also making some fundamental changes to improve performance on the typically low power CE based devices.

I have only changed the WinCE CAB download file so make sure you grab the right one.

I hope to have the whole app 're-flowed' for all screen sizes over the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Steve.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Thanks,

I am going to try this out today. Thanks again for all your hard in work in getting epub on the JE series.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
ondabeach
Groupie

Hey, no sweat Ellen, I'm having a blast. I live in the tropics and there's a lot of rain around this time of year, so I'm getting plenty of indoors time which means lots of time working on all things Z.

More real soon

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hopefully it'll work on the HTC Touch Pro 2 that I'm planning to pick up next month. I'll need some good reading apps for that!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Hopefully it'll work on the HTC Touch Pro 2 that I'm planning to pick up next month. I'll need some good reading apps for that!
That's a great device, and it does have some nice reading apps. I tried zulu some but mainly use Freda now.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
ondabeach
Groupie

Hey Steve,

By the time you get your new toy ZR will work like a treat on the Touch Pro 2. It has the same screen res as the Jointech reader I recently got a hold of and am currently targetting my development at. Also adding the ability to add/change cover image, mulit-lelvel TOC's and Meta Data editing. I'd love to hear your thoughts as an early adopter Author on being able to edit on the go. If you have a html editor on your phone, (or can crunch out html pages using a text editor) you could actually create a complete ePUB in your hand held device.

It won't all be complete for a few months but some basic stuff like the cover image and TOC editing aren't far away, I already have the code for all the above features working and tested. I just need to work on the interface first so that it displays on all screen sizes before I add any more functionality, that and the 'lite' command line version of ZR that JoinTech has asked me to create that will be pre-installed on their devices.

Hi David, yes HTC does make exceptionally nice kit, I've had a Touch Diamond for over a year and it has never missed a beat nad it's as tough as nails! Mate, I don't know how you even got past square one with ZR on your TP2 the way it was, that 800x480 res really screwed ZR up royally. If you persisted with it all all before, even out of desperation, you are going to looooove it's re-incarnation, you'll acutally get to see all the buttons and even the whole page!!!! and you'll finally be able to leave that damn stylus in it's sheat where it belongs. I have already uploaded the first interim update to the site but only the CE CAB version, this update has the main screen and the 'reading' screens sorted. I'll post here when I've uploaded the MinMo version to the site, hopefully (much) later today.

The next update will have an enormous (apparent) page turning speed increase. At the moment ZR sits there doing nothing until you tell it to turn the page, at which point it parses another chunk of html, decodes it, and then renders a page image as you watch. Watching the page render always gives me a kick because I know how much is happening behind the UI, but I guess for the average punter who just wants to read his or her eBook, it's probably a lot like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing..... but mostly painful

Hopefully by early next week you will be able to download a version that takes some initiative and pre-renders the next page while you are reading the current one. It will also retain in memory a copy of the previous pages 'image' so that paging backwards no longer gives you time enough for a toilet break

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
If you have a html editor on your phone, (or can crunch out html pages using a text editor) you could actually create a complete ePUB in your hand held device.
Actually, that part's kinda scary...

But yeah, I'm looking forward to it! (No offense, but) I'm also planning on finding apps for a few more formats (especially Mobi, I've got a lot of legacy Mobi files), to see what-all I can do with the phone. If all goes well, a few evaluation posts may be in order!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
ondabeach
Groupie

No offense taken my friend, the other formats will be kicking around for awhile yet and until there is more and better conversion software available to turn them into ePubs then reading software for those formats will be needed as well.

Whatever you run on your HTC will run like a dream though, they really do make superb gear.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

That's great to hear... it was my only trepidation about getting one.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Pulled the trigger...

I ordered the HTC Touch Pro 2 yesterday... expect it in a week or so. I'm already researching accessories, apps and storage options (anyone know if it will take the new 32GB micro-SD cards?). Since I plan to replace my PDA with it, I'll be testing e-book readers early!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
ondabeach
Groupie

Oooh, I am jealous, but I still looooove my HTC Touch Diamond, it still blows me away with it's speed and features for such a tiny device.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, according to this http://www.elite-electronix.com/htc-touch-pro2-unlocked, you're in luck with the 32GB sd cards.

Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I've tested ZuluReader in my JE200 and it has a lot of problems.
  • Main page is bigger than JE screen
  • Some windows does not takes taskbar height and paints below taskbar
  • Library does not support folders. If you select a folder, it does not shows books if books are into subfolders
  • Fonts aren't antialiased
  • Cannot adjust first line indent, no paragraph separation and interline
  • Screen update is very slow. It takes about a minute to draw with a 10pt font and it paints line for line at very slow speed. This is the most important problem
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Oh, and to answer your question, yes, according to this http://www.elite-electronix.com/htc-touch-pro2-unlocked, you're in luck with the 32GB sd cards.
Shiny!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
One of these days, I want an ePub reader that I can fire up File Explorer*, double tap an ePub file, it opens and I can read it. I actively don't want a library, a bookshelf, or an ePub editor. I don't particularly care about support of other file formats, either. Both Freda and ADE seem to think they need to manage things for me. I don't.

Will Zulu just open a file and let me read it? And not do anything else? I've never tried it, since your original website makes my eyes bleed if I look at it too long.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

*I actually use Resco, but it and the native app work the same way.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Any PC should be able to be set up to open a particular file type with a particular application (Windows PCs set those up automatically, but you can change them). No reason you couldn't do the same with Zulu, as far as I know.