Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Baylor
Baylor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
OD Mobipocket files need PID number???

I recently purchased a Kindle 2 and have been having troubles getting ebooks. I found a site BooksonBoard that seems great and their support has helped lots, they said I needed the OD version of the Mobipocket to work as everytime I tried to download a book it kept saying I hadn't purchased from Amazon and it won't display. The new OD downloaded and did the same thing, they now say I need to get my PID number of my device and register it with them then try downloading - how do I get that? Any ideas or other suggestions for downloading ebooks other than from Amazon?
Frustrated and Just Want to READ!
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There are two tools name kindlepid and kindlefix that allow you to use OD books on your kindle. However, per a lawyers order from Amazon here at mobile read we are not able to tell you how to get or use these scripts.

Google may help here. Or, perhaps someone would be willing to help you via private message.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Amazon complained about KindlePID, which is needed to read OverDrive MOBI ebooks without removing DRM. They did not complain about mobidedrm, which allows you to strip the DRM from any MOBI ebook. In this case, you already know the PID because you gave it to your ebook store (e.g. use the PID from Windows MobiPocket Reader). Stripping DRM from ebooks is generally thought to be illegal in the US, although this has never been tested in court and doing so for personal use on ebooks you bought harms no one.

In fact, if you don't mind stripping DRM, you can buy any popular ebook format because they have all been circumvented. MOBI is the easiest, since a DRM-free MOBI is directly readable on your Kindle. However, many UK ebooks (for example) are only available as Adobe ePub (see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented). Once an ebook is DRM-free, Calibre can format shift it to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote