Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-07-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
PocketSurfer - PDA dedicated to websurfing

Canada-based DataWind Corporation promises to end web surfing pain for cell phone users with its PocketSurfer PDA, a 6in. by 3in. device dedicated to deliver real Internet experience to a cell phone user in a fast and economical solution.

The company claims that PocketSurfer is faster than any other wireless Web technology. Unlike a Smartphone or wireless PDA, it uses your cell phone as a wireless-modem. To use the service, you will need to have your bluetooth-ready cell phone enabled for wireless data from your wireless carrier.

And here is the fineprint: PocketSurfer doesn't connect to the Web directly. Instead, it connects through DataWind's proprietary Internet proxy aiming to optimize pages with graphical content. For this optimiziation, you are required to pay another $9.99 per month Internet service access fee, beside your regular cell phone data plan.

The PocketSufer is rolling out now and available in the U.S., Canada and Venezuela for $199.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
And here is the fineprint: PocketSurfer doesn't connect to the Web directly. Instead, it connects through DataWind's proprietary Internet proxy aiming to optimize pages with graphical content.
In other words, it works exactly like WebPro on Palm handheld device, and AvantGo's proprietary service when requesting "live" pages from the web?

What a novel concept. Why didn't I think of that. </sarcasm>
Advert
Old 03-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Did this thing actually ever come out?

SiliconValley.com is having a news story on it, which is basically a reprint of what Morpheus has said in this thread three months ago.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Jim Gilbert
Jim Gilbert began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TG50, PktSurfer,V710
Pocket Surfer Goodness

I am a REALTOR who has need to access MLS listing information while out and about in a vehicle and/or away from hotspots.

My MLS used to offer WAP access when I used a Palm V. Then they took it away because not enough of us used it.

Then a company named MobileListings offered proxied access to a handheld formatted subset of listing info for $29.95/month. I paid. I used Netfront on my Clie TG50 and sometimes a regular laptop via my Motorola 270C w/ Bluetooth (which I had to find on ebay because Verizon no longer sold them). Then Mobile Listings decided ONLY to work with downloaded applications on Blackberries, Treos, and Pocket PCs. Meanwhile I had discovered I could run the real MLS application on the Clie, but it overwhelmed it (lotsa, lotsa scrolling and delays...). Then the MLS and Mobile Listings both decided to no longer work with older browsers like Netfront 3.01.

I prefer a phone as a phone, a PDA as a PDA, a calculator as a calculator, etc. I do not use my PDA when I want my HP-12C. I upgraded my 270c to a V710 with much faster Internet access via Verizon.

Almost bought a Sharp SL-C3000, but the form factor was a bit big, and after
the "Microsoftization" of both Mobile Listings and MLS I was concerned about
living with Firefox on Linux. Also if I had a Linux box I'd waste too much time amusing myself fiddling with it when I should be selling houses (which is both more fun and more profitable).

Carefully researched the PocketSurfer and concluded it fit my usages well. I had the fast Bluetooth phone. I had a 1st class PDA. I did not really want to spend $500-600 for a top of the line color Blackberry 75xx or Treo 650, and I would be getting for only $9.95 a month access to the full web at good speed
away from hotspots, compatible with full Microsoft browser and add-ons.

The applications I need are very well supported. The device form factor fits my purse/portfolio/pocket uses. And I already insist on having a Bluetooth phone with decent Internet access. I just really prefer to surf on a big thumbkeyboard with a wide display and decent speed (much more comfy than Treo, Blackberry or phone keyboard and display).

PocketSurfer cost $200 US, came within a week, initialized easily. A knowledgeable, helpful human answered by phone or email whenever I had a question. What's not to like?

I am thinking of putting one of these in the glovebox of each of my team's cars, just like a decent digital camera. It is something a serious REALTOR should not be without.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
drtesdell@earth
drtesdell@earth began at the beginning.

Device: iPAC hx2755
Wow. Looks cool. Unfortunately, I, like many gadget lovers, have a champage taste on a lite beer budget. Also, I guess with these types of things as fast as the technology is changing to faster, better, easier, and cheaper (usually), I wonder if I invest $200-300. for something like this if I'll get my money out of it/use it enough, etc., before the next generation comes out 6-12 months later that is better, easier, faster, and like most computer things have gotten over time...less expensive after a relatively short time.

But thanks for the link and the info! I always enjoy Windows shopping.

Dennis/circawdm
Advert