Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
lexcycle
lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone/Kindle
We at Lexcycle apologize for the inconvenience of the very slow downloads and intermittent service. We did not anticipate the overwhelming response to the Stanza beta announcement, and our server is buckling under the stress.

We have updated the main link to the Stanza download to point to a mirror site, which should ease the slowness that many of you have reported experiencing. If you have experienced problems downloading Stanza, please do try again by going to http://www.lexcycle.com/download. We appreciate your interest, and we very much look forward to hearing feedback, bug reports, and feature requests from the MobileRead community!
lexcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexcycle View Post
We at Lexcycle apologize for the inconvenience of the very slow downloads and intermittent service. We did not anticipate the overwhelming response to the Stanza beta announcement, and our server is buckling under the stress.

We have updated the main link to the Stanza download to point to a mirror site, which should ease the slowness that many of you have reported experiencing. If you have experienced problems downloading Stanza, please do try again by going to http://www.lexcycle.com/download. We appreciate your interest, and we very much look forward to hearing feedback, bug reports, and feature requests from the MobileRead community!

You *do* realize that Stanza has guaranteed I'll be buying a Mac for my next computer, don't you? Half the reason why I stuck with Windows was because there wasn't an all-inclusive ebook reader with the support you're offering.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
You *do* realize that Stanza has guaranteed I'll be buying a Mac for my next computer, don't you?
I'm ordering one right now...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
lexcycle
lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lexcycle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
When I left, I was getting .5K/s

I opened a mobipocket book, and exported it in mobipocket. The exported file would not open in MobiReader - got a "not enough memory" error. I also can't open the exported file on my Kindle - "the item can't be opened".

I would love to hear of someone's success.
We have not seen this problem with either MobiReader or the Kindle ... all out tests of exports have worked fine thus far. How large is the book you are trying to export, and what is the original format the book was in?

We hope to resolve any of these issues in the next beta release of Stanza.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
Problem with Mac version?

I don't know if I should contact you via your website or here... I am receiving this error and I know I'm overlooking something but it all checks out. Please help. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 13.png
Views:	506
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	13180  
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexcycle View Post
We have not seen this problem with either MobiReader or the Kindle ... all out tests of exports have worked fine thus far. How large is the book you are trying to export, and what is the original format the book was in?

We hope to resolve any of these issues in the next beta release of Stanza.
I downloaded "A Tale of Two Cities" from here. It is 1.1M (with a cover image).

It opens and displays great in Stanza.

I exported it as a Kindle book, directly to my Kindle (no SD card installed), and it is now 876K (smaller because of no cover image?), but when I try to open it, I get the "can't open, contact Amazon" message.

When I open the azw in Stanza, the book information looks a bit dubious, too,
but I can read it correctly in Stanza.

I see the correct name on the Kindle home page, but no author, and, of course, no book, effectivley!

LMK how I can help,
Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #22
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm having the exact same problem... nothing I'm converting is working on the Kindle (in either Mobipocket or Amazon Kindle format). I've used MobiPocket, HTML and PDF files so far. Most have just been a couple of megs.

I just tried this.. which is a text file I converted to mobipocket. But i get the message "the selected item could not be opened."

Love the idea of the program... would be nice if it could organize your stuff as well in an iTunes sort of way. Also, editing the metadata would be a great addition. These two changes would be the difference in me buying it or not.

That and, you know, working on my Kindle.
Attached Files
File Type: prc montaigne- Essays.prc (1,005.3 KB, 470 views)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #23
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
In case anyone wants it, here's my "mirror":
http://www.mediafire.com/?5yrowhy55jl

Now let's test this beta program

EDIT: Mac OS 10.4.11 -> Can't use stanza.app with this version of Mac OS X

Last edited by mores; 06-02-2008 at 04:28 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #24
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

And just a bit of feedback... not sure if this is possible, but one of the things I find most frustrating with some of these conversion programs is they don't edit out the header/footer or place it in the main body of text which makes it... well... I won't read it that way.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #25
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post

I got the same message and I'm using Mac OS 10.4.11 as well...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #26
lexcycle

Quote:

Thanks for noting that. We will release another beta later today that will fix the startup error if you are on OS 10.4. We look forward to hearing feedback from people using Tiger, which is obviously not as well tested as Leopard.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
I wonder if it just looks at version 10.4._ and expects the next digit to be either 8 or 9? It does require 10.4.8 or better. It seems like a silly mistake, but I seem to recall someone speculating that it could be an issue when apple rolled over from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 and software had to distinguish between 10.4.10 and 10.4.1.

I can report that it worked for me just fine using 10.5.3.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
This looks like interesting software. I am running osx 10.4.11 as well so eagerly await the update that will let me test this.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #29
lexcycle

New beta release of Stanza, fixing Kindle export and Tiger support

We at Lexcycle are delighted with the overwhelming response to Stanza from the MobileRead community. We are thrilled by the messages of praise, and appreciative of the constructive criticism and error reports on the forums and in your e-mails. Keep them coming!

After we addressed our initial server meltdown, the two major complaints seem to be that Kindle support wasn't working, and that Stanza couldn't be launched in Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger). We believe we have fixed both of these problems, so please download the latest release (1.0 Beta 4) of Stanza at:

http://www.lexcycle.com/download

We look forward to your continued discussion and feedback, and hope you enjoy this early release of Stanza!

Last edited by lexcycle; 06-02-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #30
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Great, can't wait to give it a whirl! I think it's amazing to finally have such a needed piece of software!

Tags
apple, macintosh, stanza