Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Paperwhite 2 Died

So I received my Paperwhite 2 just yesterday and today it has already stopped working.

I was trying to put some files on it so I connected it to my computer with the USB cable. The USB Drive Mode didn't seem to work. It just stayed on the Home Screen (or whatever screen I was currently on) and would not charge. My computer had an empty drive pop up to signify the PW2, but I couldn't access it and the Ejection notice screen never came up on the PW2.

I thought I should reboot the device to see if that would fix it and when I did the Repair Needed screen came on. What I did exactly was the PW2 was plugged into my computer. I held down the power button to start the reboot process. I held it down for about 2-3 seconds and then pulled the USB cable out while still holding down the power button for the total 20 seconds to get the reboot. I'm not sure if that contributed to it, but I can't see how it could have. Trying to reboot the device afterwards did not fix it while unplugged the whole time. I was able to get the device into USB Drive Mode while it was rebooting so I could grab my files from it to backup. That took about 3 reboots since it seemed to only work during the Kindle tree logo loading screen.

I chatted with Amazon and they are sending me a replacement with 2 day shipping. If the shipping is as fast as the one I got yesterday then it will probably be 1 day shipping.

Just wanted to post this up in case someone else has the USB Drive Mode issue. It might mean your device is about to die and you should back up your data and get ready to contact Amazon after you try a reboot. I never actually got to put any files on the device or change anything. Must just be a dud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	112622  

Last edited by Outrager; 10-02-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
Must just be a dud.
Dead on Arrival. It happens.

If your next KPW2 works fine, I wouldn't think any more of it. If we see this message popping up 50 times in the next week... well...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Dead on Arrival. It happens.

If your next KPW2 works fine, I wouldn't think any more of it. If we see this message popping up 50 times in the next week... well...
It worked for a day.
Oh well.
The Kindle Expert guy called me to set up a UPS pickup so they can look into what happened to the PW2 I got.
They also said they would give me a $50 credit for the trouble.
Now I get to think about if I should buy an official case or spend it on something else.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
So I received my Paperwhite 2 just yesterday and today it has already stopped working.

I was trying to put some files on it so I connected it to my computer with the USB cable. The USB Drive Mode didn't seem to work. It just stayed on the Home Screen (or whatever screen I was currently on) and would not charge. My computer had an empty drive pop up to signify the PW2, but I couldn't access it and the Ejection notice screen never came up on the PW2.

I thought I should reboot the device to see if that would fix it and when I did the Repair Needed screen came on. What I did exactly was the PW2 was plugged into my computer. I held down the power button to start the reboot process. I held it down for about 2-3 seconds and then pulled the USB cable out while still holding down the power button for the total 20 seconds to get the reboot. I'm not sure if that contributed to it, but I can't see how it could have. Trying to reboot the device afterwards did not fix it while unplugged the whole time. I was able to get the device into USB Drive Mode while it was rebooting so I could grab my files from it to backup. That took about 3 reboots since it seemed to only work during the Kindle tree logo loading screen.

I chatted with Amazon and they are sending me a replacement with 2 day shipping. If the shipping is as fast as the one I got yesterday then it will probably be 1 day shipping.

Just wanted to post this up in case someone else has the USB Drive Mode issue. It might mean your device is about to die and you should back up your data and get ready to contact Amazon after you try a reboot. I never actually got to put any files on the device or change anything. Must just be a dud.
Wow, the white screen of death! Hope they get you a good one in return.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Outrager
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Wow, the white screen of death! Hope they get you a good one in return.
I hope so too.
The one I had didn't have any issues from what I could see.
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You are ending $ 50 ahead, so you really didn't lose anything. Amazon is good that way.

If it happens again that way with one being unable to use the Safely Remove Hardware button, the best bet is to turn off the PC entirely, remove the device, then charge overnight and then reboot the device.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Outrager
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You are ending $ 50 ahead, so you really didn't lose anything. Amazon is good that way.

If it happens again that way with one being unable to use the Safely Remove Hardware button, the best bet is to turn off the PC entirely, remove the device, then charge overnight and then reboot the device.
I don't think anything was being written onto the device. It pretty much used the USB port as just a charging port.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
It worked for a day.
Oh well.
The Kindle Expert guy called me to set up a UPS pickup so they can look into what happened to the PW2 I got.
They also said they would give me a $50 credit for the trouble.
Now I get to think about if I should buy an official case or spend it on something else.
You got a really good customer rep. I've never heard of them giving that high of a credit! I think $20 is the highest I have heard but $10 seems to be common. The official case is awesome! I own it and I love it. It's like holding a real book.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Outrager
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You got a really good customer rep. I've never heard of them giving that high of a credit! I think $20 is the highest I have heard but $10 seems to be common. The official case is awesome! I own it and I love it. It's like holding a real book.
I used to own the Lighted Leather cover for the Kindle Keyboard. Do you know if they are similar in feel?

I'm not sure why they gave such high of a credit. Maybe it's because it's only the 3rd day the device is out and they want to make sure it's not a bug that will affect all the devices. Or maybe they figured having UPS come pick it up was inconvenient so they are giving the credit to make sure I would let them. I did notice it's a Next Day Air label.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Wow a 50.00 credit is impressive! That was very nice of them. I love the official case for the PW. Hope your next PW is perfect.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
One of mine last year had that message on the screen out of the package. I got a replacement unit, well, a few replacement units, because they all had issues, but not $50. That is certainly showing they are convinced it's a one-off case and that they are looking into the issue for real.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I got a replacement unit, well, a few replacement units, because they all had issues, but not $50. l.
Yeah, me neither. We would have made a bundle last year if they gave us 50.00 credits for all of our bad units.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ too many people with the same exact issues, too much of an expense... Though, can YOU imagine!
That's why I think this must be a one-off.

Last edited by xendula; 10-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I used to own the Lighted Leather cover for the Kindle Keyboard. Do you know if they are similar in feel?

I'm not sure why they gave such high of a credit. Maybe it's because it's only the 3rd day the device is out and they want to make sure it's not a bug that will affect all the devices. Or maybe they figured having UPS come pick it up was inconvenient so they are giving the credit to make sure I would let them. I did notice it's a Next Day Air label.

Yes they are similar on the outside but that's where it ends. I love that little case! Why can't they make one for the HDX I don't know instead that got that stupid puzzle case.

The PW case feels like a book on the outside. It's leather with light grain texture feels and it turns the PW on and off when you open or close it. It's soooo much lighter than the case for the K3 which I also own. I'd buy another PW case if I get a PW2 without blinking they are such high quality that the price is worth it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote