asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

Device: none
mac osx open assign ebook viewer to epub files mac osx

On mac osx I have created an automator app that opens a shell script:

Code:
 ebook-viewer "$1"
I put the app in my applications folder. Then I assigned epub files to open with this app.

This was working fine, especially that somehow if I opened multiple files, I would get multiple instances of the epub viewer. This was desirable, but this seems to have stopped working. If I try to open a second file, nothing happens until I (later) close the old one, at which point the second file opens automatically....

Can I get the old behaviour back?

thx
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to ebook-viewer in this regard. view multiple books from within calibre or by running ebook-viewr in a terminal and you will see that it works.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
asllearner
Enthusiast

Smile Yes, but now what?

I see. quite so. From within calibre I can open several volumes. If I open several terminals, I can open several versions. So perhaps my so-called "previous behavior" was this.

So I am wondering if I can get automator to behave the same way.

In more detail, I have discovered:

Within one terminal session, if I type
Code:
$ ebook-viewer "/Users/.../book1.epub"
for example, it jumps to the next line, outputs:
Code:
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /Users/.../book1.epub
Found HTML cover titlepage.xhtml
but hangs there. It does not give another bash. I can continue to type things at this point nothing will happen. If I ctrl-c, ebook-viewer stops.
Code:
[1]+  Stopped                 ebook-viewer "book1.epub"
and I am back in my shell. However the program itself is still in my dock, though it is hung. I can see why it might behave this way, probably just how it is supposed to, but I want to know how to induce a different behavior.

If I try to use the automator app setting it up that way I did (a suggestion I got from somewhere on this forum, though I don't have the original link handy) and open from finder I get behavior similar to if I was in a single terminal session. What I want to do is get automator to make individual sessions...

I know it's out of calibre's purview, but if anyone has any suggestions...
Old 09-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
$ ebook-viewer "/Users/.../book1.epub" &
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
asllearner
Enthusiast

yes, we have no bananas!

Thanks!!!
Advert