Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #61
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's some weak evidence that a "Factory data reset" may improve wi-fi performance. After backing up any necessary files of course.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #62
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
There's one big thing wrong with a Nexus 7 - it can't hold on to a wi-fi connection. You knew about the lack of expandable memory when you bought it, so that doesn't count as a problem.

Yes, I have one. I'm not in love with it, but it's very useful. The wi-fi thing is a big minus.
Get the app WiFi Analyzer and run the time graph on your WiFi connections.
Also has a signal meter.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
What makes you prefer the Nexus to the iPad? Purely its portability? Why did you buy both?
I have both, too and I tend to use them for different things. The iPad mostly gets used for web browsing while the Nexus 7 (although, nowadays, I've got a Chinese clone with microSD support) gets used for reading.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #64
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Quote:
There's some weak evidence that a "Factory data reset" may improve wi-fi performance. After backing up any necessary files of course.
I might have to try that and see what happens, or might just end up taking it back to the store.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
What makes you prefer the Nexus to the iPad? Purely its portability? Why did you buy both?
ExaltedWombat - The reason I reach for the Nexus first most of the time is because:
1) Smaller size - easier to hold in one hand when reading
2) Better resolution - I have the iPad 2, which isn't quite as good from a resolution perspective as the Nexus 7. iPad 3 probably blows Nexus 7 out of the water with its Retina Display, but alas, I don't have that one!
3) The OS - There are a lot of nice touches in Android Jellybean that work well for my user experience, for example, the back button that is at the bottom left is used a lot. I always try to reach for that when I'm on the iPad and then remember that it doesn't have it.

I bought the iPad 2 first, and used it exclusively as my tablet for quite awhile. I became interested in getting a smaller tablet purely for convenience/portability and had been keeping an eye out for something. The Nexus 7 came out and I was impressed with the hardware and specs for the price and decided to jump in. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with the Nexus 7. I had never used Android OS before this (I had an Iphone 4 as well -- switched to Samsung Galaxy S3 after I got the Nexus 7).

So I have both, but usually use my Nexus 7. My wife usually uses the iPad now.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #66
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Is this a bad time to buy a Nexus 7? Are google going to announce a revision next month? I'd like one for browsing, movies, music and games.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #67
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Is this a bad time to buy a Nexus 7? Are google going to announce a revision next month? I'd like one for browsing, movies, music and games.
Yes. I think you should wait another month or two. The wait should be worth it, with a more powerful Nexus 7, which will supposedly be pre-loaded with Key Lime Pie - the latest major version of Android. Jellybean is great, but I would anticipate that the next version will be much better, with more features and even smoother performance.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #68
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Yes. I think you should wait another month or two. The wait should be worth it, with a more powerful Nexus 7, which will supposedly be pre-loaded with Key Lime Pie - the latest major version of Android. Jellybean is great, but I would anticipate that the next version will be much better, with more features and even smoother performance.
Agreed, Google IO is just over 2 weeks away, it is likely that a N7 replacement will be announced then. You might as well wait 2 weeks, see what the replacement offers (assuming there's one, so far this is all speculation). Prices of N7 should also drop if/when a replacement is announced.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #69
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Quote:
iPad? Screen surface area. I use an iPad 1 for piano music/score reading. N7 is too small. The iPad is better for reading textbooks and programming books plus longform reading.

The N7 is awesome for web browsing. Much faster obviously. Great for reading on the road. And Google apps.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #70
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I bought a Nexus 7 after Google had no new hardware to announce at their I/O conference. It's absolutely brilliant. The best gadget I've bought since I got my first ereader. Videos, audio, games, comics, magazines are all excellent on it. I haven't tried reading a book yet but the screen is really fantastic and there's a vast array of apps too.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #71
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I think you will find it's great for reading as well. Enjoy your new toy!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #72
corroonb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Enjoy your new toy!
I am. Thanks.

Last edited by corroonb; 05-19-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #73
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
There's one big thing wrong with a Nexus 7 - it can't hold on to a wi-fi connection. You knew about the lack of expandable memory when you bought it, so that doesn't count as a problem.

Yes, I have one. I'm not in love with it, but it's very useful. The wi-fi thing is a big minus.
Only noticed this post but I know on my Nexus 7 it is on power save wifi mode I have read somewhere that this can be a problem with certain routers the fix is simply to turn that off, just go into your wifi settings look for the usual three dots click advanced and untick the battery optimisation setting.

This should hopefully stop your disconnects.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #74
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You can put the Amazon App Store on the Nexus, right?

I am thinking of getting one of these now that the Kindle Fire has updated and broken the wallpapers for the ADW Launcher.

Never mind, I suppose it does LOL. I think I will order one of these soon. Now which one will I sell to pay for it, if any...

Last edited by booklover6; 06-06-2013 at 08:32 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #75
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
You can put a Kindle app on it.... I have done so but don't use the app... I prefer moon reader plus or Aldiko pro.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote