Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
KFHD 7" vs KFHD 8.9" diffs (besides scrn size!)

A couple of years ago I bought the Kindle DXG 9.7" thinking it was a larger (and therefore better for me) version of the 6" K3. My mistake. The software seemed not to quite be as functional as the k3-keyboard 6"...never updated, and now it is being discontinued. And I purchased the expensive Amazon cover, which seemed to freeze the device and I had to remove it! I do like the larger screen for PDFs, but the plastic frame has cracked in a couple of places and basically it is on "borrowed" time I think.

Has any of these type of discrepancies (software, support) been noticed between the KFHD 7" and 8.9" devices? I realize the larger device just shipped, but perhaps there are comments? Any other people have concerns?

Does anyone feel that the add'tl $100 is worth the screen size increase? I would prefer the 8.9" size - older eyes and all that, primarily for WWW browsing and videos - but I am hesitant to get myself into a similar situation once again.

I appreciate any opinions!

Last edited by rgeorg; 12-05-2012 at 07:38 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I don't think that there is any difference in software between the 7" & 8.9" Fire HDs. I think it is safe to say that Amazon will treat the Fire HDs the same for updates, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
A couple of years ago I bought the Kindle DXG 9.7" thinking it was a larger (and therefore better for me) version of the 6" K3. My mistake. The software seemed not to quite be as functional as the k3-keyboard 6"...never updated, and now it is being discontinued. And I purchased the expensive Amazon cover, which seemed to freeze the device and I had to remove it! I do like the larger screen for PDFs, but the plastic frame has cracked in a couple of places and basically it is on "borrowed" time I think.

Has any of these type of discrepancies (software, support) been noticed between the KFHD 7" and 8.9" devices? I realize the larger device just shipped, but perhaps there are comments? Any other people have concerns?

Does anyone feel that the add'tl $100 is worth the screen size increase? I would prefer the 8.9" size - older eyes and all that, primarily for WWW browsing and videos - but I am hesitant to get myself into a similar situation once again.

I appreciate any opinions!
One thing to consider is, given a set price point, is it more preferable to you to have more memory or a larger screen? I have the 16GB KFHD 7". Videos look and sound terrific. Music playback is great. Reading on it is also very nice. But without an microSD card slot, storage is an issue. If the KFHD were to be my primary tablet device (I have 3 other tablets) then I would opt for a 32GB or even 64GB storage option.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
There IS a Difference More Storage 16 gig on 7" 32 gig on the 8.9" Of course Bigger Screen. Than there is 3G/4G On the Bigger model 7" is Only WiFi. I would advise you check them out side by side Best Buy web site will let you do this Also Amazon site.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The 8.9" Fire has a higher resolution display - 254 ppi vs 216 ppi.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I have the 32 Gb Kindle Fire 7" model. It fits in my wife's pocketbook and is very portable. The 8.9" unit will not fit and that is it's big disadvantage in my opinion.

With every app added and all my eBooks and songs I still have 21 Gb left on my KFHD7-32. That should hold me until next year's mode comes out in October again.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. The improved screen resolution is interesting, but getting extra storage instead of paying for the add'tl screen size probably is not. I wouldn't get the 4G functionality. I just want to be able to download some few apps, (sideload) mostly books and perhaps a few movies or TV episodes. I can always xfer the movies and delete them as I watch them. I mostly read. Oh, if I have storage space, I will fill it - but it is probably not strictly necessary.

I am borrowing a 7" KFHD for a few weeks and really find the size hopeless, except for reading. Yes, videos and music sound great - but they should also on the larger device. When viewing a webpage or large page PDF, I have to keep on increasing the font size and moving it around to see a whole page - and after a while I get a headache.

I have purchased a SGP5 (5") as a portable personal media player on-the-go (calendar and that sort of thing) device, as I think the 7" would be too large for me to carry around.

I am considering the 8.9" or perhaps a 10" something. I enjoy having lots of words on a page as I read quickly and PDFs display easily. Also, I play bridge and the 7" is a bit too small to display my favorite Bridge site well!

Probably the wise move is to continue to use the 9.7" Kindle DXG, which I really do love reading on, and wait and see. I have a 9" netbook, and 27" monitor to do all the other stuff. I'm just so tempted...

I guess the software versions on the KFHDs are the same? Or doesn't that compare for the Fires?

Thanks for the opinions, you guys are the power-users and have looked at so many devices!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use it for Streeming Amazon Movies to you TV! $10 cable at Walmart!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
rgeorg
Guru

@Katie1
I am mostly in Europe (outside of the 5 included EU countries) and cannot use Prime, movies, magazines, or mp3. Even downloading apps is a bit questionable, although it has worked OK for the few free apps that I have tried.

This cuts down the usefulness of the device, except for sideloaded media and Web browsing, etc. Which would be enough for me - but I'd need a larger screen size to make WWW usage enjoyable.

Not compelling enough yet. Maybe by when I am in the USA in January?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

You ask for the Differences between the 2 sizes of the same device. But seems to me you should have gone into the Country you are in the most on MR & Ask What Device works the Best for that area/country. I Hope you find a product that works for you.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks - appreciate the advice!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
TheRuleslawyer
TheRuleslawyer began at the beginning.

Device: KFHD 8.9
The 8.9 has a faster SOC, higher res, larger screen (of course)
Not a lot of difference between the two that isn't immediately obvious.

However if you like magazines or reading PDF scans of double column text you'll probably have a better time with the 8.9. 7" is great for books, but I think its a little on the small size for documents that were intended for a4/letter and have the formatting preserved.
TheRuleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleslawyer View Post
The 8.9 has a faster SOC, higher res, larger screen (of course)
Not a lot of difference between the two that isn't immediately obvious.

However if you like magazines or reading PDF scans of double column text you'll probably have a better time with the 8.9. 7" is great for books, but I think its a little on the small size for documents that were intended for a4/letter and have the formatting preserved.
That's pretty much where I ended up my thinking. Just don't know that it is worth the money for the occasional need? I can read larger size docs on my Kindle DXG or large size monitor. Plus, the 7" would be easier to sell when I want to upgrade.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
TheRuleslawyer
TheRuleslawyer began at the beginning.

Device: KFHD 8.9
Yup. Depends on your use. I initially got mine primarily for a4 PDF books that are double or triple column. I have a sheet scanner at work that I've been converting reference books with so I don't have to haul around 20lbs of books. I don't read them a huge percentage of the time, but the 7" would be marginally usable when I do.
TheRuleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The 8.9" Fire has a higher resolution display - 254 ppi vs 216 ppi.
It's pretty addicting too, for me. The processor is also faster.

Mainly, it's big enough so that Amazon felt they could offer the 2-page book if you turn it to landscape. Since you can increase or decrease the font size, line spacing, etc., it makes the two page layout really nice. I read faster when I have nibbles instead of a large page of text and my mind sees what is left.

Probably takes more battery to turn the page more, but I like the two-page layout a lot and find myself using that all the time now. Go figure, since I did love the DX for all that it could put on a page.

I use the KFire 8.9 for sheet music too and, as with PDFs, they're FAR more readable on the larger size tablet. Sheet music especially. But, it's the 7" I carry around when going outside. So if portability is more important, I'd go for the 7".
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote