Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Dropdowns in metadata fields

In the list thats drops down when you start typing in a metadata field, it used to be that the options cycled. That is to say, if you pressed the up arrow from the first position, you'd jump to the end; if you pressed the down arrow from the last position, you'd jump to the beginning. It appears this functionality is no longer available in 8.6. Is this on purpose? Please say no.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
8.6 is a really old version... did you happen to mean "8.60"
(Calibre revisions are always TEXT, not floating point numbers)

In many cases, the building blocks (from other OSS projects) change and the behavior in Calibre changes (not always what we want).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What a coincidence, I came here to ask about those same controls. In the latest version, the controls behave in a very non-Windows-standard way for ComboBoxes, and it's driving me up the wall. For example, the home and end keys act on the list rather than the text field, and you can't tab out of them when the list is dropped down.

I use the system default theme, and I'm really hoping that the new calibre-style control was included in the default theme by mistake. If it's intentional, can we please have an option for standard controls?
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want cycling use the tab key for forwards and shift+tab for backwards. I can restore cycling with the arrow keys as well, though atleast for me, Tab is a lot more natural.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-16-2012 at 10:43 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@OddCosine - just to add it is not "theme" related. As theducks hinted at earlier Kovid completely replaced the combobox implementation with a new one in 0.8.60. This was I believe an attempt to bypass the crashing issues which a few users had reported here on the forums. As to what will or won't be changed further about it's behaviour I leave that up to Kovid .

Other than things I reported which Kovid has fixed, my biggest behaviour difference that I have noticed is trying to rename say an author name which has incorrect casing. You have to keep hitting escape to cancel the dropdown portion to stop it "fixing" your correction.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@OddCosine: The Home and End keys will be back to normal in the next release (they were an oversight), but the behavior of the Tab key is not going to change.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@OddCosine: The Home and End keys will be back to normal in the next release (they were an oversight), but the behavior of the Tab key is not going to change.
Thanks in advance for the home & end key fix.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
If you want cycling use the tab key for forwards and shift+tab for backwards. I can restore cycling with the arrow keys as well, though atleast for me, Tab is a lot more natural.
@ALL - Eep! Sorry for the confusion I did mean 0.8.60.

@Kovid - Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but hitting tab (or shift+tab) simply jumps the selected field one over the the right (or left). What I'm talking about is vertical navigation within a metadata field dropdown. Let me give an example.

Let's say I'm adding a book to the library by imaginary author Zora Williamson (Williamson, Zora). If I type "Will" in the Author(s) field, a dropdown menu appears with all the authors whose names start with "Will". At the end of that list is "Williamson, Zora". In the past, after typing "Will", I could hit the "Up" arrow and the list would cycle to the last entry. Now, there are only two ways to get to the bottom: hitting end, or scrolling all the way down. Since the end button requires my lifting my hand off the keyboard and putting it down again over by the numberpad, that's not a super convenient option. If, however, the behavior I'm looking to re-instate causes stability issues, I obviously completely understand.

Last edited by ElMiko; 07-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Elmiko: The cycling with arrow keys will be restored in the next release.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
ElMiko
Addict

As always, thank you Kovid.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I for one will be very happy with that . I just updated from a much older version, and have to admit, that was driving me nuts. Other than that, I've been pretty happy with the new look though.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote