Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Installing Sony software on Mac with Crossover

Soooo . . .
Bought myself a new Macbook for Christmas this week, and while I wait for my copy of Windows XP and VMware to come from NewEgg, I got to playing with Crossover for Mac. For those who don't know, this is software that runs on Intel Macs and allows you to install and run Window software natively, without running a full Windows installation. The only hitch is that it only emulates (not sure if that's the right word) Windows 98 and 2000. I obviously couldn't directly install the Sony software, since it didn't pass the system version check, but then I tried running the software in the command line with -a, and it threw up an error. Does anybody know if there's a genius way to get around Sony's system version limitation? Or to get the run -a working on Crossover?
Some time ago I successfully installed a copy of the software on my Win2000 machine at work using a USB flash drive by just copying over the entire Sony directory, so I know the software will run under 2000. Anybody play with this on a Mac and get it to work? Anyone have any ideas?
I can't figure out what the error is, it just gives me a number (91) and the website has no error code glossary.
It's obviously not a huge deal if I have to wait until next week to get the Sony library going on my MacBook, but it's the weekend and I'm impatient.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
kjmgatos
kjmgatos began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
I got a little farther, but not all the way

Make sure you install the software in a Windows XP bottle. Default is a Win98 bottle, which derailed me the first try too. Once I created an XP bottle, I was able to install the Reader SW and manual. When I select the manual (via the Program menu), it comes up fine. When I select the eBook Library program, nothing happens.

Hopefully, someone can help with the next step.
kjmgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I gave up my attempt to do this. I ended up just using my Parallels installation of Windows XP.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I gave up my attempt to do this. I ended up just using my Parallels installation of Windows XP.
As did I, only with FMWare Fusion, not parallels. Haven't had any trouble with it, FWIW.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote