Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
Reader Software on Mac is a CPU-Hog

Hi,
I've just recently switched over to the PRS-T1 after my Kobo broke down. Installed the reader software that came with the device and since then my MacBook Air had the fans spinning like crazy. I took me a while to figure out that the Sony-supplied "Reader" software installed an app (Reader Helper?) which turned out to be the mother of all CPU hogs, eating up to 50% CPU capacity doing exactly nothing just lurking in the background. Also the darn thing was "calling home", or rather trying to do so all the time. I erased all components and am now enjoying blissful silence again.

Anybody notice similar effects? On the Mac side it's OS 10.7.2, the reader app from Sony was without version numbers.

Last edited by Fehmarn; 03-30-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Reader for the Mac is famously bad software. I tried to use it and had to remove it from my Mac Mini. Among other things it acted like a dictator over my computer. It was much too closely connected with the Sony Store, as if it was intended to force me to get all my books from them. I took the advice of others on the forum and deleted it.

Obviously you can't buy any books from the Sony store without the Sony Reader software but there are plenty of other ePub bookstores. I use Calibre to organize my library. It works better than the Reader software anyway.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
No problems like that here. The main (only?) reason it "calls home" is to look for updates!

Let it update itself to the latest version and try again.

Like 6charlong says though, Sony's software is pretty bad. It really detracts from the experience of owning a T1. Unfortunately the only real alternative is calibre, which is amazingly ugly.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Fehmarn
Enthusiast
Fehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litterFehmarn doesn't litter

Device: Aura H2O (Glo stolen, PRS-T1 given away, K-touch kaputt) & iPads
Thanks for the comments - I do use calbre, too. And you are right, it's not the prettiest piece of software, but does the job so well, I donated anyway

Ah well, no big loss - as you've mentioned there are enough other stores out there, so I don't really need the Sony store.
Fehmarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Reader for the Mac is famously bad software. I tried to use it and had to remove it from my Mac Mini. Among other things it acted like a dictator over my computer. It was much too closely connected with the Sony Store, as if it was intended to force me to get all my books from them. I took the advice of others on the forum and deleted it.

Obviously you can't buy any books from the Sony store without the Sony Reader software but there are plenty of other ePub bookstores. I use Calibre to organize my library. It works better than the Reader software anyway.
The software for Windows PCs is nothing to write home about either; I've only used if for doing a firmware update (and it probably wasn't even necessary for that).

I'm not sure why you say you can't use the Sony Reader store; I've downloaded directly to my PRS-T1 without having to use a PC at all. I've also downloaded books from the Kobo store and from my local public library, mostly without any problems. (In rare cases where this failed, I simply downloaded the files to the Dropbox folder on my PC and then imported them into my PRS-T1 using the Dropbox mobile website.)
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciervo View Post
The software for Windows PCs is nothing to write home about either; I've only used if for doing a firmware update (and it probably wasn't even necessary for that).

I'm not sure why you say you can't use the Sony Reader store; I've downloaded directly to my PRS-T1 without having to use a PC at all. I've also downloaded books from the Kobo store and from my local public library, mostly without any problems. (In rare cases where this failed, I simply downloaded the files to the Dropbox folder on my PC and then imported them into my PRS-T1 using the Dropbox mobile website.)
I forgot you could do that. Thanks.

I got so disgusted with the Mac Sony Store that after I authorized my T-1 I deleted the Reader software and never registered the T-1 with my account. The only time I tried to buy a book on the reader itself was when I pressed the button for Google Books but it's a dead link.

Mea culpa: I never had the patience to buy books from my Nook or my Kindle so I've never tried to do it with the T-1 but I'm glad to know the option exists. It seemed to me as if Sony was shooting itself in the foot by refusing to let people buy their books with a browser. I have a little collection of Sony readers plus about 200 books in the Sony Store and I really don't want to see them leave the playing field.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Beamer102
Beamer102 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I am also using the Sony Store software on a Mac. Honestly, I find I usually go and check a price at the Sony store and then find a Kobo coupon code online and buy the book straight from my T1 off the Kobo website because I find it cheaper. I don't really use the Sony Store software for anything other than that.

I don't even sync my reader because I can't seem to figure out if there is a way to have my reader settings sync to the Sony library so it always screws up my T1 organization and folders. I'm just frustrated that the Sony software is so difficult to use... and I'm not a stranger or newbie to computers!! It just seems like a waste of time to try to figure out the software. I'm so happy the T1 has wifi. It was a good upgrade from my 350.
Beamer102 is offline   Reply With Quote