Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
flameproof
flameproof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Regex - replace only part of a string - how?

I have often problems with books that were auto-converted by Calibre. Here is one issue:

Text has often wrong line breaks.

Example:

Code:
  <p class="calibre2">This is just a sample</p>

<p class="calibre2">text with no meaning.</p>
I can find it with the string:

Code:
 [a-z]</p>

<p class="calibre2">
But when I replace it then (of course) the last letter is missing. Without the [a-z] I would catch normal end of sentence line breaks.

Is there a way?

DOH! I found it!

Search string: (\w+)</p>

<p class="calibre2">

Replace with: \1

Last edited by flameproof; 02-20-2012 at 08:45 AM.
flameproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
flameproof

Please let me add one more common problem: wrong hyphen (probably from the PDF)

Search: (\w)-(\w)
replace with: \1\2

How can I make it case sensitive? I like to correct 'ele-phant' but not 'John-Bob' ?
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
Please let me add one more common problem: wrong hyphen (probably from the PDF)

Search: (\w)-(\w)
replace with: \1\2

How can I make it case sensitive? I like to correct 'ele-phant' but not 'John-Bob' ?
I think a brute force approach would be
([a-z]\w)-(\w)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
flameproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think a brute force approach would be
([a-z]\w)-(\w)
Thanks.

Seems '([a-z])-([a-z])' with a clicked 'Match Cases' is OK too.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Use the posix character classes rather, for your example : ([[:lower:]])-([[:lower:]])

List of posix char classes
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
[[:lower:]]?

I guess you mean [:lower:]
But honestly, I find [a-z] way easier to write. Especially since I have to add some German letters often, like [a-zäöüß]
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I guess you mean [:lower:]
Nope. [[:lower:]] is the correct usage.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
I was used to write [a-z] for lowercase letters too, but since I discovered that unicode properties flag is working in Sigil 0.5 (*UCP), I simply use character classes with it to cover non-ASCII letters.
\w, \W, [:lower:], [:upper:], [:alpha:], [:alnum:] are all affected by (*UCP).
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nope. [[:lower:]] is the correct usage.
I really had to check these...
You are (of course) right, I was wrong.
I never tried those since I never saw a reason to use them...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I never tried those since I never saw a reason to use them...
They're great, since they cover your unicode characters too, for example you dont have to add ä,ß, etc - they are already understood to be lowercase.

[a-zäöüß] will all be captured by [[:lower:]], as well as a load more of edge cases which you might not have thought of. Saving you time, making edits more complete. The punct class is also especially useful - and very often overlooked.

The more you know!
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
They're great, since they cover your unicode characters too, for example you dont have to add ä,ß, etc - they are already understood to be lowercase.
I just checked. [[:lower:]] does NOT find äöüß.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
@WS64: add (*UCP) in front of your pattern like:

Code:
(*UCP)\b[[:lower:]]+

Last edited by Timur; 02-23-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote