Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
HTML with images?

I have ordered a Cybook Gen 3 today because I am tired of waiting for iRex to provide support for RTF and HTML. We were promised this would be forthcoming over a year ago when I purchased the device.

I have many XHTML documents that contain images.
These files, together with their relevant .jpg image/s, are stored in individual folders on my PC.

Bearing in mind that the Cybook does not support folders, will it display the images in my HTML documents?

Because the iLiad does not process HTML files in a useable way, I have been converting my HTML files to Mobipocket prc format and the images are then displayed correctly on the iLiad. But it would be nice not to have to do any conversion.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I have ordered a Cybook Gen 3 today because I am tired of waiting for iRex to provide support for RTF and HTML. We were promised this would be forthcoming over a year ago when I purchased the device.

I have many XHTML documents that contain images.
These files, together with their relevant .jpg image/s, are stored in individual folders on my PC.

Bearing in mind that the Cybook does not support folders, will it display the images in my HTML documents?

Because the iLiad does not process HTML files in a useable way, I have been converting my HTML files to Mobipocket prc format and the images are then displayed correctly on the iLiad. But it would be nice not to have to do any conversion.
Nope. All the image files have to be in the same folder as the HTML file. You do remember that there can only be ONE HTML file containing the ebook, right? But I hope this will be 'fixed' soon.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
And inclusion of images does not seem to work yet. But you can put books in folders and they will still show up in the library.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. All the image files have to be in the same folder as the HTML file. You do remember that there can only be ONE HTML file containing the ebook, right? But I hope this will be 'fixed' soon.
My folders all contain only one HTML file plus image/s relating to that file.

Are you saying that this will be fixed soon or that multiple HTML files per ebook will be fixed soon?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
My folders all contain only one HTML file plus image/s relating to that file.

Are you saying that this will be fixed soon or that multiple HTML files per ebook will be fixed soon?

I'm hoping both...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
I do not have any issues with html files showing images. The way I load it into my Gen3 is to have the the html file saved to a folder on my pc along with the folder with images.
I then open mobi desktop and drag and drop the html file only to either the list of book or the list of content on my device. The Mobi Desktop application then converts the file to a MobiPocket file.

Once transferred to my reader I can browse to the folders in my device and copy the file where I like within any of the book folders or sub folders.

If you want to change the content or the way it displays, simple edit the html file before converting.

I quite often save web pages to my PC and then load them directly via Mobi Desktop.
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's also very easy to do with "MobiPocket Creator". Simply select "Open an Existing HTML File", fill in the metadata, then build the book. Any referenced images get included automatically.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Moonraker
Addict

Quote:
I do not have any issues with html files showing images. The way I load it into my Gen3 is to have the the html file saved to a folder on my pc along with the folder with images.
I then open mobi desktop and drag and drop the html file only to either the list of book or the list of content on my device. The Mobi Desktop application then converts the file to a MobiPocket file.
My original enquiry was asking if the Gen3 could display images in HTML files.
I know I can convert to .prc and I do.

The Gen3 can read HTML files and they flow nicely but they cannot (yet) display images.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
My original enquiry was asking if the Gen3 could display images in HTML files.
I know I can convert to .prc and I do.

The Gen3 can read HTML files and they flow nicely but they cannot (yet) display images.
Images aren't IN html files, they are separate files. Since the cybook doesn't support links from one file to another, it won't work. If they did support it, the way their folders are, you'd have to change all the image urls for it to work, which wouldn't be all that difficult.

However, as has already been explained, it's very easy to use the desktop reader to convert it all to a prc file in about one second flat.

You can also put multiple html files in a book if you use Mobipocket Creator to turn them into a prc file. This could be done in a matter of a minute if you don't want to do anything else with it.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Moonraker
Addict

You don't have to explain to me how HTML files and images work. I have worked with them since version 2.0 through to XHTML.

If you read the thread from the beginning properly you would see that I asked a question and received an answer from delphidb96 saying he hoped this would be fixed soon. End of story.

I don't need help in making a prc file and I don't need any advice on HTML files and images!

If Bookeen can get their Gen3 browser to work with images then I would prefer to use only HTML files because they are an open and flexible format which is something that Mobi files are not.

In the meantime, I am reluctantly converting to mobi .prc as a workaround.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
You don't have to explain to me how HTML files and images work. I have worked with them since version 2.0 through to XHTML.

If you read the thread from the beginning properly you would see that I asked a question and received an answer from delphidb96 saying he hoped this would be fixed soon. End of story.

I don't need help in making a prc file and I don't need any advice on HTML files and images!

If Bookeen can get their Gen3 browser to work with images then I would prefer to use only HTML files because they are an open and flexible format which is something that Mobi files are not.

In the meantime, I am reluctantly converting to mobi .prc as a workaround.
Really? I did read the thread properly from the beginning and at least TWO TIMES you said image files are IN html files. You'd think someone who has been working with them since version 2.0 through to XHTML would know that is not true.

Someone, unrelated to Bookeen, "hopes it will be fixed soon" is an answer? I would disagree. It's a statement as to what he hopes will happen regarding something he considers to be broken. That's not what you asked, though, is it?

Perhaps you should have sent a pm to Derek if his reply was the only one you wanted. (Feel free to ignore that rational suggestion which would have avoided you having to suffer through other people's replies to your question. In fact, feel free to ignore this thread in the future. Ooops, another rational suggestion to help you avoid suffering through other people's replies.)

Feel free to ignore all advice regarding working with html files and making prc files. It's possible that others without your incredible knowledge base may read this thread and find something of use in it.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-10-2008 at 04:52 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
Moonraker
Addict

Quote:
Really? I did read the thread properly from the beginning and at least TWO TIMES you said image files are IN html files. You'd think someone who has been working with them since version 2.0 through to XHTML would know that is not true.
I'm sure most people here would understand my meaning without being so pedantic about it.

Quote:
Someone, unrelated to Bookeen, "hopes it will be fixed soon" is an answer? I would disagree. It's a statement as to what he hopes will happen regarding something he considers to be broken. That's not what you asked, though, is it?
What a nit-picker you are. I understood perfectly what Delphid96 intended. He hopes that the problem will be fixed in a future software upgrade. delphidb96 is a respected member of this community and a Corporate Agent for NAEB, the buyers' club for the Bookeen Gen3. I should imagine he would know more about the device than most people and I have confidence in what he says.

Quote:
Perhaps you should have sent a pm to Derek if his reply was the only one you wanted. (Feel free to ignore that rational suggestion which would have avoided you having to suffer through other people's replies to your question. In fact, feel free to ignore this thread in the future. Ooops, another rational suggestion to help you avoid suffering through other people's replies.)

Feel free to ignore all advice regarding working with html files and making prc files. It's possible that others without your incredible knowledge base may read this thread and find something of use in it.
Your sarcasm indicates to me you are a verbal bully. Such behaviour is unwelcome in these forums.