Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Wireless Routers Signal Strength With The Fire

I'm curious how far away you can get from your router and still have your kindle fire work? My fire will work outside my house in my driveway, but if I move closer to my yard the signal gets very weak sometimes dropping out whereas with my lap top I can easily connect with full strength in my yard with zero dropouts. I do a lot of reading outside in the Summer. When I first got the fire it connected in my yard with no issue, now it's not connecting as well.

I'm curious what experiences fire users are having with their router and signal strength. For those of you that can connect easily with a strong signal outside your house what brand and model router are you using?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
I'm using a dual-band Linksys E2500 that gives pretty good coverage but I do have problems in parts of my basement so I bought this extender:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RE1000...5377854&sr=1-1

User reviews are mixed but I found it incredibly easy to set up and it works extremely well, giving me extended coverage where I didn't before.

Dave
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One possibility is that a neighbor's router is interfering with your signal. I use Wifi Analyzer from the Kindle app store to give me a picture of what it going on, but Wi-Fi Analytics Tool is also available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
I've seen the sketchy wifi reports as well, but i'll admit, my connection on it at the far reaches of the signal are as good as anything else I use at that range. the iphone wifi chips are not as strong as ipad chips so at the far end of my house, the fire is better then my iphone 4s but the ipad 2 is still the champ there, my ipad2 will beat any laptop i've used at that range as well, it's just got a solid, solid chip inside. but back to the matter at hand, streaming amazon prime at the furthest reaches of my house has not been an issue, which also happens to be a distance that some other devices don't work reliably at. There are certain deadspots in the house that some devices just struggle at in my house as well that distance wise should be close enuf to the router, but the kindle fire so far as been just fine in those deadspots as well.

The crux of my experience comes from amazon prime, no matter where I am in relation to the router, silk and netflix just stink so it's hard to use those as measures. I've got to get off my butt and get a different fire browser at some point. Router-wise, I'm on the netgear wndr4500 and I've got the highest consumer cox package available
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Here are some places to go for some expert advice on the matter. I tend to go to Best Buy's Geek Squad desk in the back of their stores or in Microcenter they have a desk called the learning bar that I frequent a lot. I may take this matter to one of the two for some advice. My wifi signals are pretty good except there are a few dark zones in the master bathroom. Problem is that the router was placed in the basement not in the middle of the two floors, so I might get a second router to put on the top floor. Although I do have a repeater on the third floor pushing things upstairs, it helps some but not a lot.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
One possibility is that a neighbor's router is interfering with your signal. I use Wifi Analyzer from the Kindle app store to give me a picture of what it going on, but Wi-Fi Analytics Tool is also available.
Thanks for your input on the Wi-Fi Analytics Tool. It is available at Amazon and just downloaded it. I've been using the Wifi analyzer but like some of the features on the other one.

I have a question for you or anyone who knows. On the Wi-Fi Tool signal graph, my network is showing fluctuating a lot. Is this a bad thing? The signal is okay compared to others in the vicinity, but they show more steady even though weaker.

I switched channels to one the Wi-Fi Took said was "great", even though it's not the standard 1/6/or 11. Admittedly I am a real novice.

Streaming movies on the Fire seem to work very well.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I had to update my wireless router after getting my Fire as my signal was weak even in the next room with the doors open.

I got a new ASUS RT-N56U and now get 3 or 4 bars on the Fire anywhere in my house even with doors closed to the room where the router is.

The Fires wifi receiver seems weaker than the one on ny iPod and HP Laptop.
the first week i was very frustrated but now love my Fire.

Definitely get the WiFi Analyzer app at amazon.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

It will let you see which channel you are on and see if your neighbors are bleeding into yours

If needed change your wifi channe on your routerl to one not overused by others in your area.

Wifi analyzer helps you find the best channel for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
salsaguy
Addict

Use the wifi analyzer after 5 or 6 pm when the traffic usage is highest (after work/school for most folks)

Then see which channel you are on and which Channel your neighbors are on and change it if needed to the one less used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
Thanks for your input on the Wi-Fi Analytics Tool. It is available at Amazon and just downloaded it. I've been using the Wifi analyzer but like some of the features on the other one.

I have a question for you or anyone who knows. On the Wi-Fi Tool signal graph, my network is showing fluctuating a lot. Is this a bad thing? The signal is okay compared to others in the vicinity, but they show more steady even though weaker.

I switched channels to one the Wi-Fi Took said was "great", even though it's not the standard 1/6/or 11. Admittedly I am a real novice.

Streaming movies on the Fire seem to work very well.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've not had any issues with signal strength with the wi-fi anywhere in the house. Sometimes when I have it in the room, it'll lose a bar (oh no) but that's 3 rooms away from where the router is.

And, it's some d-link router we got 3-4 years ago. So, it's nothing special.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are most of you able to use your kindle outside in your yard and still connect to the internet fine?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
salsaguy
Addict

Haven't tried outside yet but will and report back
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Use the wifi analyzer after 5 or 6 pm when the traffic usage is highest (after work/school for most folks)

Then see which channel you are on and which Channel your neighbors are on and change it if needed to the one less used.
I have tried at various times during the day/evening. My neighborhood is quite congested internet wise. All of the standard channels 1/6/11 are in use by one or more parties. My question is can the other channels be used successfully? i.e. 2/3/4/5/7/8/9/10? I am currently using channel 4 as suggested by Wi-Fi Analyzer Tool (different app than the Wi-Fi Analyzer, which I also use.)

The Tool has a couple of more features, one shows interference and suggests alternative channels.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Haven't tried outside yet but will and report back
Thank you.

I can connect to both of my laptops with a full signal in my yard, but my kindle fire I cannot connect at all. I'm disappointed that I can't connect outside as I do a lot of reading outside in the summer and it would be nice to have use of the net as well. I assumed before I got it that it would connect fine since my laptops do.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
I have tried at various times during the day/evening. My neighborhood is quite congested internet wise. All of the standard channels 1/6/11 are in use by one or more parties. My question is can the other channels be used successfully? i.e. 2/3/4/5/7/8/9/10? I am currently using channel 4 as suggested by Wi-Fi Analyzer Tool (different app than the Wi-Fi Analyzer, which I also use.)

The Tool has a couple of more features, one shows interference and suggests alternative channels.

I'm not really sure myself, but I would think it's possible other channels can be used more successfully. Hopefully someone more tech savvy can give a more definite answer.