Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #46
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Can't anyone add biographical info to an actor's IMDB page? If you know an actress' DOB, and it's missing (or incorrect) on her IMDB bio, you can click to edit the page. Submit your addition/correction, and IMDB staff will either approve or reject the change. Sort of like a tightly moderated wiki.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 10-24-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #47
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And without loser pays, you can't afford to defend an unjust case, but will be forced to settle, as otherwise even if you win, you lose. Neither way is ideal.
Unjust case, counter sue.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #48
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Unjust case, counter sue.
And without loser pays, you have to pay the costs of that case, no?
As I said, even if you win, you lose.
And you would have to prove that it was an unjust case, and that they knew that. And if you can't do that, you are now saddled with two loads of costs.
Both systems have problems, and can lead to a lack of access to justice to those who can't afford it.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-25-2011 at 09:50 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #49
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No you sue for enough to cover the costs of both.

You sue me, it costs me X to defend against a frivilous suit. I sue you for X + Y, Y being the cost of suing you for the X amount. If the suit was realy stupid, you could sue for X+Y+Z, Z being penalities for being an idiot.

This is better than loser pays, in that it will only work if the original suit is frivilous or unreasonable.

If you really want to make it work, loser's LAWYER pays. That would stop a LOT of stupid suits, IMO.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
If you really want to make it work, loser's LAWYER pays. That would stop a LOT of stupid suits, IMO.
Which is what "no win no fee", or conditional fee arrangements, do.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #51
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
No you sue for enough to cover the costs of both.

You sue me, it costs me X to defend against a frivilous suit. I sue you for X + Y, Y being the cost of suing you for the X amount. If the suit was realy stupid, you could sue for X+Y+Z, Z being penalities for being an idiot.

This is better than loser pays, in that it will only work if the original suit is frivilous or unreasonable.

I am, in every other aspect of the economy, against any sort of cap on income. However, I do think something along the lines of Lawyer cannot recap more than expenses+5%, but not greater than 50% of the settlement for cases that go to trial or 10% of the settlement for cases that are settled out of court would go a long way toward cutting down the crap.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #52
Pinecone
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Which is what "no win no fee", or conditional fee arrangements, do.
NO, the idea of this is, you sue me, you lose, your lawyer pays ME costs.

Make lawyers stop and think that maybe I don't want to file this one.

IMO, many are lawyers filing, figuring on little work and some settlement, which they get a big chuck of.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #53
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Won't that only make lawyers reluctant to take on the 'tough' cases? Or they'd jack up their fees so they make up on wins what they lose on losses.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #54
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Lawks a'mercy.....

But this is appalling - does this mean just any old Tom, Dick or, indeed, Harry can find out I'm older than 21 ?

Ooh, I could crush a crisp packet..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #55
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
But this is appalling - does this mean just any old Tom, Dick or, indeed, Harry can find out I'm older than 21 ?

Ooh, I could crush a crisp packet..........
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #56
Pinecone
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Won't that only make lawyers reluctant to take on the 'tough' cases? Or they'd jack up their fees so they make up on wins what they lose on losses.
Possibly, but at least they wouldn't file suits against everyone they can think of on a worthless case.

But loser pays just puts the burden on the person who feels they are wronged.

IMO, the current US system of allowing counter suits for frivilous cases probably is the best balance. You can sue, but that can result in your getting sued if you are off base.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #57
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Good God.

Will she try and sue gravity next for assisting to reveal her age?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #58
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
She might have a better chance suing time for making her older.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #59
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
I am, in every other aspect of the economy, against any sort of cap on income. However, I do think something along the lines of Lawyer cannot recap more than expenses+5%, but not greater than 50% of the settlement for cases that go to trial or 10% of the settlement for cases that are settled out of court would go a long way toward cutting down the crap.
If want a system in which only the rich have access to the legal system, this would work very well.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #60
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Can't anyone add biographical info to an actor's IMDB page? If you know an actress' DOB, and it's missing (or incorrect) on her IMDB bio, you can click to edit the page. Submit your addition/correction, and IMDB staff will either approve or reject the change. Sort of like a tightly moderated wiki.
Yes. And I'm certain, based on my own updates, that there is an awful lot of "this sounds reasonable, I'll click 'approve'" vs. actual research and verification.

(I have never submitted false information, but I have submitted information about my own experience that even I can no longer verify...production company's out of business, etc) so, I'd be REALLY surprised if they are providing some sort of free private detective work to verify my credits.)

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote