Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
A New E-Paper Competitor

first PixelQi and now this:

an article from tecnology review ( http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22545/?a=f ) describes a new display technology. Especially interesting is that Polymer Vision ( the developer of the readius foldable ereader) is involved by hoping to bring the technology in to the market. Maybe a readius Gen3?

" The new display, made by researchers at the University of Cincinnati, in Ohio, is designed to match the brilliance and contrast of paper. "We've demonstrated a technology where you have the brightness of paper, and color has the same saturation that you expect from printed media," "

and:

"The pixels also switch between black and white within one millisecond, making the technology suitable for video"

More competition should stir the marked quite nicely

cheers,

kaas

Last edited by kaas; 04-27-2009 at 05:02 AM.
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It looks like an interesting technology, but a long way off commercial production. One thing stood out to me in the summary of the paper:

"are potentially bistable"

i.e. so far they require power to display anything, unlike eInk which requires power only when changing the display.

It is good to see so many different new display ideas coming forward, even if it'll be a few years more before we see products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
first PixelQi and now this:

an article from tecnology review ( http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22545/?a=f ) describes a new display technology. Especially interesting is that Polymer Vision ( the developer of the readius foldable ereader) is involved by hoping to bring the technology in to the market. Maybe a readius Gen3?

" The new display, made by researchers at the University of Cincinnati, in Ohio, is designed to match the brilliance and contrast of paper. "We've demonstrated a technology where you have the brightness of paper, and color has the same saturation that you expect from printed media," "

and:

"The pixels also switch between black and white within one millisecond, making the technology suitable for video"

More competition should stir the marked quite nicely

cheers,

kaas
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It looks like an interesting technology, but a long way off commercial production. One thing stood out to me in the summary of the paper:

"are potentially bistable"

i.e. so far they require power to display anything, unlike eInk which requires power only when changing the display.

It is good to see so many different new display ideas coming forward, even if it'll be a few years more before we see products.
if they are super low power I wouldn't see that as a big problem in a handheld.

it sounds like it has promise, but being backed by the Readius team gives me less than hope, as their reader is vaporware. its nice to see people working on this technology though
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
yes, my thought exactly. While I liked what I read about the technology, I was less than thrilled that the project wa backed by a company that is quickly going the way of the dodo...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote