Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
KF 8.9 inch vs Samsung Galaxy2 10 inch

Any opinions as to how the Samsung Galaxy 2 10 inch stacks up against the KF? (other than it's bigger). My KF1 has the charging port issue and they can't send me another one for 6-8 weeks. I have a Galaxy that I'm trying out. I haven't seen the KF HD (in any size) yet. I like the Galaxy but I feel like I might be missing out on some cool new KF features.Would I be wowed by the KF 8.9 inch? Opinions please!

Last edited by iPatty; 11-20-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add comments
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Any opinions as to how the Samsung Galaxy 2 10 inch stacks up against the KF? (other than it's bigger). My KF1 has the charging port issue and they can't send me another one for 6-8 weeks. I have a Galaxy that I'm trying out. I haven't seen the KF HD (in any size) yet. I like the Galaxy but I feel like I might be missing out on some cool new KF features.Would I be wowed by the KF 8.9 inch? Opinions please!
I own both a Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 (Student Edition) and a 16GB Kindle Fire HD 7".

Those two devices are so dramatically different that you have to decide whether or not you want a general purpose tablet or an Amazon-centric media consumption device.

The screen and sound on the KFHD is absolutely beautiful. As a simple media player for music and movies, it is terrific. I've sideloaded a few video and music players and it is quite nice. The lack of a microSD slot is an issue for me and prevents me from loading up a bunch of movies and music.

The GTab is also quite nice. Performance is not quite as snappy as the KFHD, but it is fine and not a distraction.

What cool new KF features do you believe that you're missing out on? I'm not that big into the Amazon ecosystem so I know that I'm not experiencing any of them firsthand.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm kinda torn on the thing myself because I like amazon's content and the services of google.

The LTE 8.9 might be good but I'm not sure how often I'd be out of a given hotspot.

How well does amazon prime work on the galaxy? I figure if you can get prime for videos that pretty much changes things a bit. I have no doubt the fire has a great display and audio. That being said how much of android market was side loaded to it? I've sideloaded amazon app store to a google tv and some of it works.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
According to Amazon's information page, http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/...bile%20Devices, Amazon Instant Video (AIV) is only available on the Kindle Fire (all versions), the iPad (all versions) and iPad mini. It's not available for any other tablet.

My daughter can watch AIVs to her first generation Fire, but I cannot do the same on my GTab7+.

The same holds true for the lending library.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The screen and sound on the KFHD is absolutely beautiful. As a simple media player for music and movies, it is terrific.
I have yet to come across a tablet that has better built in speakers than the 7 inch Fire HD. The sound is simply amazing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I personally just bit the bullet and ordered an Acer A700 rather than a Fire HD 8.9. What did it for me was that I could get a 32GB 10.1" tablet with expansion for less than the 32GB Fire HD. (In fact, by getting a case off eBay, I should end up with the bigger tablet, case, and charger for about $2 less than a 16GB Fire HD, case, and charger.)

I get the same resolution (though lower pixel density) and more app flexibility. I also plan to sideload Flash so that I can watch AIV, though that is not a priority for me.

For me, the deciding factor was that the bigger screen will be better for comics, and I won't have to jump through hoops to get my favorite comic company in the ComiXology app.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

One disappointing thing about the Galaxy is the crappy sound. The rest of it is marvelous. I'm still undecided. I read and play games (actually one game). I don't do movies though it would be nice to listen to music. But I have my KF1, iPod and iPhone for that. I'm still not sure if I'm keeping the thing.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
According to Amazon's information page, http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/...bile%20Devices, Amazon Instant Video (AIV) is only available on the Kindle Fire (all versions), the iPad (all versions) and iPad mini. It's not available for any other tablet.

My daughter can watch AIVs to her first generation Fire, but I cannot do the same on my GTab7+.

My iPad 3 does Amazon Instant Video much better than my Fire HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I have yet to come across a tablet that has better built in speakers than the 7 inch Fire HD. The sound is simply amazing.
The sound from those tiny speakers is far from good. They are really gawd awful if you ask me. I cannot watch videos with them, I must use headphones. But then speakers on all tablets pretty much suck.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My iPad 3 does Amazon Instant Video much better than my Fire HD.

The sound from those tiny speakers is far from good. They are really gawd awful if you ask me. I cannot watch videos with them, I must use headphones. But then speakers on all tablets pretty much suck.
Unfortunately the iPad does a good job firing out the sound in the opposite direction of the user. (I have one)
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
iPatty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post

I could care less about watching videos on the tablet. I can still use the lending library because I have other Kindles.