The Tenant of Wildfell Hall 7 8.75%
Villette 2 2.50%
Shirley 0 0%
Agnes Grey 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I only read Wuthering Heights so I can only vote for it in an arbitrary way.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #17
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've only read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I chose JE because of my English teacher. In the first years of high school we had to read those short books, some were stories especially made up for those books but the higher level books were summarized versions of classics. I had to read the latter books, but you cannot summarize a classic in 25 pages. It confused me (although the version of A Tale of Two Cities was even less understandable) because it jumped from one scene to another and then it skipped half of the story. IMHO not a good way to motivate children to read!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I admit I'm surprised, very surprised, by the vote. I thought JE and WH would run roughly neck and neck, only to see that JE has outstripped WH by a factor of better than 2½ to 1.

More Heathcliff for me, I suppose!
Jane Eyre has been made into a movie several times while I think Wuthering Heights has only been made into a movie once. So it might be that the one is just more popular than the other.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #19
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I've only read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but since I've also heard people's reading tastes described in the way of being either a Jane Eyre person or a Wuthering Heights person, I prefer Jane Eyre. Don't love it, by any means, but I like it. I used to dislike Wuthering Heights intensely, but having reread it for school, I don't mind it now.

However, I'm keen to read Anne Bronte's works. I've often heard her casually described as the least talented sister, but from reading about her works, it seems to me she was given the short shrift, especially after her death.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Jane Eyre has been made into a movie several times while I think Wuthering Heights has only been made into a movie once. So it might be that the one is just more popular than the other.
There are three film versions of Wuthering Heights I know. The classic 1939 (greatest Hollywood year) film with Laurence Olivier, the not-so-good mid-70s film with Timothy Dalton (although it had its moments) and the early 90s film with Ralph Fiennes (phroar!).

As for Jane Eyre, I'm only aware of one film (the Orson Welles one, where a young Elizabeth Taylor dies an early death) before this year's effort, but there have been a lot of mini-series. Frankly, I think that one reason is that Jane Eyre is easier to film. Wuthering Heights presents problems of narration and timeline (its core story ends mid-book).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #21
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
They're both rather feverish and leave me a bit cold.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I've only read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but since I've also heard people's reading tastes described in the way of being either a Jane Eyre person or a Wuthering Heights person, I prefer Jane Eyre. Don't love it, by any means, but I like it. I used to dislike Wuthering Heights intensely, but having reread it for school, I don't mind it now.

However, I'm keen to read Anne Bronte's works. I've often heard her casually described as the least talented sister, but from reading about her works, it seems to me she was given the short shrift, especially after her death.
All three of the sisters were given the short end of the stick if you think about it. Their father was so intent on making their brother Bramwell a success that the sisters had to write in order to get by (or so I understand). Of course Bramwell was a wastrel from what I understand and never did make anything of himself. Probably his one positive claim to fame is that without him and his never do well ways his sisters might not have had to write their books.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There are three film versions of Wuthering Heights I know. The classic 1939 (greatest Hollywood year) film with Laurence Olivier, the not-so-good mid-70s film with Timothy Dalton (although it had its moments) and the early 90s film with Ralph Fiennes (phroar!).

As for Jane Eyre, I'm only aware of one film (the Orson Welles one, where a young Elizabeth Taylor dies an early death) before this year's effort, but there have been a lot of mini-series. Frankly, I think that one reason is that Jane Eyre is easier to film. Wuthering Heights presents problems of narration and timeline (its core story ends mid-book).
I stand corrected on Wuthering Heights. I counted the multiple mini-series as movie adaptations of Jane Eyre as well.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
err, none of the above? I've attempted 1,2, 4 & 5 at different times, no can read.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I had to read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre for school. Hated both of them. I actually wrote an entire essay on why Wuthering Heights should not be considered a classic. There are no likeable characters in the books, they are boring, and depressing. Bleeeeech

I never understood the love of the Bronte sisters.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I read Wuthering Heights just last year and I was also surprised at how unlikeable the characters were. I don't really get what makes people love this book.

I haven't read Jane Eyre but I plan to. Maybe I will like that one better?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I read Wuthering Heights just last year and I was also surprised at how unlikeable the characters were. I don't really get what makes people love this book.

eP
I read Jane Eyre first and hated it. Then I read Wuthering Heights and I hated it.

It is not my genre. I still fail to understand how people can find these characters sympathetic.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Wuthering Heights is OK, but Jane Eyre is one of my favorites of all time. I have no intention of seeing the new movie b/c I'm sure it will be spoiled by Hollywood, as the latest Austen films were also (P&P, Emma). I've only ever seen one movie/miniseries of JE and it's the one with Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester. Never saw WH as a movie or series.
I began the Tenant of Wildfell Hall a few years ago but never finished it so I should try it again.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #29
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
I should think so. WH is about a girl being hot for one guy all the time.

JE is about an orphan trying to earn her keep. Made a big difference for me. If only the end were a bit different... but maybe thats just me.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I read both as a girl and enjoyed them both but I like Jane Eyre more. Then again, I was a kind of angst-y girl so Jane's life may have resonated with me more then.

I should reread them both, and see if I still feel the same. But, there's just something about a book that has a crazy lady locked in an attic, you know?

I also really enjoyed Rebecca( by Daphne du Maurier- hope I spelled her name right)
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote