Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
remove (physical) logo

Has anyone managed to remove the (ugly, distracting) "Amazon Kindle" logo from the face of their K3, without leaving a mark?

Yes I'm serious. I hate logos, and this one really bugs me.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm not a fan of branding either, so I put a "skin" (a decorative vinyl sticker) on mine. I know that there have been discussions regarding plain graphite skins, if you prefer to keep things simple.

I hope that this doesn't really need to be said but: Do NOT use paint remover or nail polish remover or anything like it on your Kindle!!!!!!
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Nope. I kind of enjoy the benefits of being covered by a warranty. Just cover it up if you're so averse towards it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
Has anyone managed to remove the (ugly, distracting) "Amazon Kindle" logo from the face of their K3, without leaving a mark?

Actually I normally don't even think about it being there. I mean I know it's there but I don't think about it on a conscious level usually.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I used one of those wire brushes you can chuck up in an electric drill, but I suppose some 80-grit and a little old fashioned elbow-grease would work just as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
A few years ago, using a sugar cube was popular for de-branding. It was rough enough to take off the paint, but not rough enough to scratch the actual surface. Not sure how it would work on the K3.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

I've heard about sugar, and am also wondering about auto rubbing compound, etc. but naturally, I'm waiting for someone else to try it first. :-)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post

Say goodbye any warranty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
You'll want to cover the screen in any case, obviously.

You might be able to take it off with a razor blade, a steady hand, and some patience. Of course, no solvents. I've never heard of the sugarcube idea, but it sounds like it would work. I'd try that first.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I just painted the top half of my Kindle black.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I just painted the top half of my Kindle black.
You serious? But wouldn't that be just as distracting as the logo? Why not paint the whole thing black then?
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
I have to admit, I am not in love with the logo either. I would suggest you get a skin like stickybuns suggested.
you can get them in solid colours as well as more intricate patterns.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
jimh12345
Connoisseur

I currently have a piece of black electical tape over the logo, which really looks bad, but is easier to tune out than the logo itself. After some of the 'newness'' wears off of my recently purchased K3 I'll probably take a run at gently, nondestructively removing the logo.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool much ado over nothing

the logo is very handy. people looking over your shoulder are less likely to interrupt your reading to ask stupid stuff like 'is that an ipad?'. i hust started using a javoedge case which covers the logo completely and i find that i miss seeing the logo. i just don't understand what all the fuss over the logo is about. i like my logo!!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
You serious? But wouldn't that be just as distracting as the logo? Why not paint the whole thing black then?
It's not actually, I painted it to the bottom of the page turn buttons, it's actually quite aesthetically pleasing. I was thinking about putting some cat stickers on it but that might be distracting.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote