Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" Connect vs Amazon

The Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseini is a wonderful book which read on the Reader.

Just got the Sony email for this week's new books, and his latest, A Thousand Splendid Suns is offered at $20.76. Just checked amazon, and they sell the hard cover version for $14.27.

Great bargain, Sony, thanks a lot.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
The Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseini is a wonderful book which read on the Reader.

Just got the Sony email for this week's new books, and his latest, A Thousand Splendid Suns is offered at $20.76. Just checked amazon, and they sell the hard cover version for $14.27.

Great bargain, Sony, thanks a lot.
The thing to do is email Sony and tell them of this and see what they have to say.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing to do is email Sony and tell them of this and see what they have to say.
I went to the site and to "contact" and got a huge list of products. Down at the bottom was the Reader, but no email, no live chat, just a phone number. I dialed that, and got a message that it was not a working number. Hmmm.

You got an email address for them? I'll be glad to send them a message.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I went to the site and to "contact" and got a huge list of products. Down at the bottom was the Reader, but no email, no live chat, just a phone number. I dialed that, and got a message that it was not a working number. Hmmm.

You got an email address for them? I'll be glad to send them a message.
Here is the link to send Customer Support a message...

http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...nduser/ask.php
Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Sony probably thinks we are saving a lot of money on classics, so we must be rich by now...

Last edited by Andanzas; 06-27-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is the link to send Customer Support a message...

http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...nduser/ask.php
Thanks! I've bookmarked it for the future, and sent them polite suggestion that they might want to take a look at their pricing.

I'm expecting a huge reduction in prices by tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks! I've bookmarked it for the future, and sent them polite suggestion that they might want to take a look at their pricing.
Just for your amusement, following is the response just got from Sony:

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting Sony Connect! We sincerely appreciate all the time and effort that you have taken to explore our CONNECT eBook service and to share your opinions with us. It is very important that we receive this feedback from our users so that we may better serve all our customers. If you would like to send us more information so we can look into the issue you are experiencing we will review and follow up.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Sincerely,
Padraic
Customer Service
Sony Connect"

This is what we used to call a "bedbug letter." Anybody remember this?

Years ago a businessman took the 20th Century Limited to Chicago and was distressed to find bedbugs in the bunk. He wrote a letter chastising the railroad for this in such a high class train.

He got a letter immdiaately from the president of the NY Central RR, apoligizing profusely and assuring him that all efforts would be taken immediately to correct this deporable situation.

The only trouble was that the secretary forgot to take off the little note attached, which read, "Send this guy the bedbug letter."
Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Ha! funny story Geoff

I will tell you that many of us here at mobile read have had great luck (or it was a great coincidence) getting the prices of books lowered by sending in the same type of feedback that you have. On two occasions that I remember I received the same "bedbug" letter and then went back to Connect the following day and the price had been 'corrected.'

I hope the same holds true with your request.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Wow! That book costs $18.16 in the Sony Connect store.

It can be had for $9.99 on the Kindle.

One of the first Kindle books I bought was 'Age of Turbulence' by Alan Greenspan, also $9.99.

The Sony price is a whopping $24.50.

Do Sony Reader users try to find the gas station with the highest prices?

Just kidding guys.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, I'd go to BooksOnBoard, purchase the MS Reader edition for $9.99, remove the DRM, convert to LRF and read and enjoy my DRM free version.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Do Sony Reader users try to find the gas station with the highest prices?
Yeah, rub it in baby!

/me is hiding in a corner with his Reader...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony don't set the prices - the publisher does. Don't blame Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #13
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I would add to HarryT's remarks that it is quite possible that Amazon, with its much larger clout in the paper-book world as well as its entry into the ebook marketplace, was able to negotiate better prices with the publisher of those books than Sony, which currently only has clout in the ebook marketplace, could negotiate.

Publishers don't have any more loyalty to their customers than other corporations do, and will allow deeper discounts to some retailers than others, based solely on sales volume. And Amazon does a bigger business than Sony does, when it comes to book publishers. Even while certain segments of the population don't have access to those lower prices the publishers give certain retailers.

So don't blame Sony (entirely). On the other hand, they could attract a larger market share for the Reader as well as for it's ebook sales if it would adopt Amazon's pricing scheme and take some losses on sales of ebooks in order to gain larger market share for their hardware and eventually have more clout with publishers.

I'm hoping that the new partnership of Borders and Sony will produce just that sort of economic clout so that Sony will be able to negotiate better discounts for ebooks.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm hoping the Kindle format will one day will work on a Sony, somehow
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I'm hoping the Kindle format will one day will work on a Sony, somehow
Hope is the last thing to die
astra is offline   Reply With Quote