Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
[Old Thread] Reading epub on viewer inexplicably changes the time stamp of epub

When I open an epub file with Calibre's ebook viewer (without opening the Calibre main program), and then close the program, I notice that the time stamp for the epub changes to the current time.

I know using the program does not and should not alter the epub itself, but I'm wondering why the date changes for the epub.

How can I keep the date intact?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
The viewer stores a bookmark in the file, so therefore updates it, and the timestamp.
write protect the file before opening to stop that happening.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Sorry, imo, I really don't think that's a good practice. Changes should not be made to the source file itself.

Is there a way I could get rid of the bookmark? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I started a thread about this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86918
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist

I missed that topic you created, banjomike.

I think the viewer, fine as it is (though I do wish drag-and-drop from the explorer is supported), should store the bookmarks elsewhere, and not alter the source file in any way.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I think the viewer, fine as it is (though I do wish drag-and-drop from the explorer is supported), should store the bookmarks elsewhere, and not alter the source file in any way.
I don't want two files when one will do. I like to be able to add bookmarks and share with others and not have to worry about a second file. If you don't like the way Calibre's viewer works, why not use another EPUB viewer?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I don't want two files when one will do. I like to be able to add bookmarks and share with others and not have to worry about a second file. If you don't like the way Calibre's viewer works, why not use another EPUB viewer?
Fair point on not wanting more files to store bookmarks.

I would love an option available to not have bookmarks at all - so the books open at the top every time and the file remains untouched. One issue with "touching" it continuously is it means duplicate checking programs can't detect based on file CRCs. Also the way I happen to use Calibre is to never actually read a book on my PC (that's what my Kindle is for). However I do use the Calibre viewer (due to it's wide format support) to compare versions of books to decide a winner to keep. I do that by starting from the top of the book each time comparing covers/index and then a few pages for formatting etc. Having to navigate back to the top each time when the book has been left at some random page would be one less task
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I agree with you, only to the extent that the person with whom you want to share the epub with also wants to know the page where you last stopped at. Most of the time, I suspect it's rather inconvenient for the other person, don't you think?

The only useful situation would be when you're using the same file on different computers, and you want to keep that bookmark.

If the viewer should modify the source file, it should make a duplicate of the source file and only modify the duplicate one.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I'm fine with being able to add bookmarks, but would it be reasonable to have a choice, to tick a box which says "Don't add or use bookmarks"?
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I would love an option available to not have bookmarks at all
I'm fine with being able to add bookmarks, but would it be reasonable to have a choice, to tick a box which says "Don't add or use bookmarks"?
Between the two of you maybe an enhancement request could be entered for consideration.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
maybe an enhancement request could be entered for consideration.
As Kovid often says, patches are always welcome

This is worth adding to the enhancement request list, if it's not already there. I suspect it's not hard to do. Perhaps it would be a tweak candidate.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Between the two of you maybe an enhancement request could be entered for consideration.
I thought I would test the waters with a comment here to see if other interest before bothering Kovid with yet another tracker ticket. I have created one now (could not see anything existing):
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/7699

I've modified my source code to disable them but that's currently a hack than a submittable patch. I could try to make it a bit more generic as a patch if it's not a high enough priority by others more skilled in Python than I?

Would a tweak option to allow disabling bookmarks, disabling the bookmarks button in the viewer, plus turning off the associated seeking/persistence when the viewer is opened/closed be an implementation others would be happy with?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Would a tweak option to allow disabling bookmarks, disabling the bookmarks button in the viewer, plus turning off the associated seeking/persistence when the viewer is opened/closed be an implementation others would be happy with?
It has been brought up for discussion often enough so I'm sure there are many folks that would use this tweak.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
It has been brought up for discussion often enough so I'm sure there are many folks that would use this tweak.
I agree. If you have some code, so much the better.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I would definitely use a 'no bookmark' tweak if it existed. Not because I dislike bookmarks, but because I don't want the timestamp changing every time I view an epub.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote