Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Spamming Pirate lasts 8 minutes

A spamming ebook pirate turned up on MobileRead today. Four members reported him, and I spotted him too.

Banned and spam deleted within 8 minutes of his first post.

Thanks, everyone!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Excellent! That sort of quick action by the moderators is what makes this such a great site.

Anytime I see something like that I immediately hit the ! button.

Last edited by MickeyC; 04-25-2014 at 12:02 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
And that is why I like hanging out here. This is a well-run site.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I assume this was the person who was selling MR Library content. Was his IP blocked so he can't sign up under another name and continue to download content from MR?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I assume this was the person who was selling MR Library content. Was his IP blocked so he can't sign up under another name and continue to download content from MR?

Wow... just... wow!

Do you really need to be signed in to download ebooks from MR? Have they changed that in the last few minutes while I wasn't looking?

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
No .
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
No what?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the chap you mention wasn't spamming, nor a pirate. He also signed up a lot longer ago than today.

Someone joined and then posted the same text in about a dozen messages (before he got banned) saying how he had a wonderful pirate site and would get people books, and here were links to to taster books.

As I said - four reports from members in under 10 minutes, and he's banned and the spam deleted.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
No what?
I assume that was a response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Quote:

Wow... just... wow!

Do you really need to be signed in to download ebooks from MR?
In which I was quizzically wondering what @daffy4u was thinking by suggesting that you cannot download from the MR library without an account.

Thanks for the info, Glorfindel, but I knew that already.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Do you really need to be signed in to download ebooks from MR? Have they changed that in the last few minutes while I wasn't looking?
Actually, I don't know. I've never tried downloading without being logged in.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, the chap you mention wasn't spamming, nor a pirate. He also signed up a lot longer ago than today.

Someone joined and then posted the same text in about a dozen messages (before he got banned) saying how he had a wonderful pirate site and would get people books, and here were links to to taster books.

As I said - four reports from members in under 10 minutes, and he's banned and the spam deleted.
As, I see. Thanks for the clarification. It has always seemed to me that such posts disappear quickly (I've reported many).
Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
I assume that was a response to this:
In which I was quizzically wondering what @daffy4u was thinking by suggesting that you cannot download from the MR library without an account.
Thanks for the info, Glorfindel, but I knew that already.
Well I hoped so...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Actually, I don't know. I've never tried downloading without being logged in.
So why would you suggest it?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Question: when someone does that (creates multiple spam messages) do the moderators prefer just one SPAM report (assuming they'll search out any other posts) or a SPAM report for each post.

It's a bit annoying waiting the 120 seconds in between to report all the various posts, when I've seen them. But if it's useful, I'll keep doing it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Question: when someone does that (creates multiple spam messages) do the moderators prefer just one SPAM report (assuming they'll search out any other posts) or a SPAM report for each post.

It's a bit annoying waiting the 120 seconds in between to report all the various posts, when I've seen them. But if it's useful, I'll keep doing it.
If it's the same user, then just one report is all that's needed, as we can automatically wipe all of a (short-term) member's posts when we do the banning.

If you see spam from more than one account, the extra reports are useful - thanks.