Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Yes, it HAS been quite confusing, which makes me even more confused regarding the excitement surrounding this device. Do they even know what they're excited about? Or is it simply because Google is the one releasing it?
Yes. People are excited because it is Google. They are excited because the cost is $11 after Netflix credit. Mostly, though, they are excited because the alternatives are terrible and people hope the next thing will be the right thing.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Do they even know what they're excited about? Or is it simply because Google is the one releasing it?
$11 excited me. That's why I got one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #18
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine is supposed to arrive Friday. Got an email telling me it shipped and another telling me I'd get an email with a netflix gift code in five days. I'm not as enthusiastic as I should be as I am a little overwhelmed with new toys. In the last two weeks, I've received a new router, a hdhomerun, two PCs, and a blu-ray drive for my PC. All of these toys are starting to blur into a honey-do list.

Materialism is a burden. Anyone getting excited about the new Fires?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Mine is supposed to arrive Friday.
Tomorrow for me. I don't even have a TV to plug it into yet. Haven't been in a hurry to get one, so maybe this $11 investment will force me to do so.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Tomorrow for me. I don't even have a TV to plug it into yet. Haven't been in a hurry to get one, so maybe this $11 investment will force me to do so.
Do trees have sockets in the jungle?

I have a trip South of the border coming in 2 weeks, and I'll see if I can grab one. It's going to be difficult, all reports indicate this is sold out pretty much everywhere.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Do trees have sockets in the jungle?
Mine do

Quote:
I have a trip South of the border coming in 2 weeks, and I'll see if I can grab one. It's going to be difficult, all reports indicate this is sold out pretty much everywhere.
Definitely sold out online. Not sure if it's available for in-store purchase at Best Buy.

Pity Google withdrew the Netflix offer so fast. I've already applied my discount to my account.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Pity Google withdrew the Netflix offer so fast. I've already applied my discount to my account.
Do they send the code out when it ships? Mine's 2-3 weeks out, but I did order while they still had the Netflix offer up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do they send the code out when it ships? Mine's 2-3 weeks out, but I did order while they still had the Netflix offer up.
I ordered during the announcement and had my codes emailed the next day which was also the ship date.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I ordered during the announcement and had my codes emailed the next day which was also the ship date.
Thanks.

I see Google's got more info up now, it's for sure when it ships...
Quote:
Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Orders placed before 1PM PT on 7/25 will receive their promotion code once their order ships.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I believe so. That's the way it was for me. I ordered mine from Best Buy the same day (~10pm) Google announced it. The next day, I got two emails from Best Buy - the first one telling me my order had shipped and the second one with info on how to claim my Netflix code and redeem it. My Chromecast is slated for delivery tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Yes, it HAS been quite confusing, which makes me even more confused regarding the excitement surrounding this device. Do they even know what they're excited about? Or is it simply because Google is the one releasing it?
I'm excited because of what's already possible simply with the ability to "cast" a browser tab to the tv. In addition to Chrome's ability to play local files in the browser, HTML5 added a few specifications that expand the ability to work with local files. With the proper file formats and / or codec support (or the ability to use intermediate transcoding) this could take the place of most of what I'm currently using two media servers for.

So, I'm happy with what it offers out of the box, and looking forward to seeing what else is possible.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #27
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Per the demo at the announcement, yes.

Edit: My Chromecasts arrived yesterday. I hooked one up, sent a YouTube video to the Chromecast from my phone and once the video started playing I moved on to some other apps on my phone. It worked great!
That's not exactly what I meant to ask. Once the video starts playing, does the connection between the Chromecast and smartphone/tablet need to maintained?

Once you start playing the video can you completely shut off the phone and the video continues to play?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's not exactly what I meant to ask. Once the video starts playing, does the connection between the Chromecast and smartphone/tablet need to maintained?

Once you start playing the video can you completely shut off the phone and the video continues to play?
Yes, because you're just using the phone or tablet to instruct the Chromecast to go and get the video from the internet (the Chromecast must have an wifi good connection). The video does not stream through your phone or tablet.

The exception, is when you mirror a chrome tab on from your laptop/desktop computer to the Chromecast. You have to keep the tab open and running on your computer.

There are several videos on YouTube which will give you a good idea of how the Chromecast works.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
wizwor
Wizard

I got my Chromecast yesterday. I really had a terrible time setting it up. Mostly because I was tired and wanted to do things MY WAY, but a little because this gem is a little rough around the edges. I could not install it with my Fire. I went to the url and Google offered to install the app, but the Fire would not install it. Then I plugged a wireless dongle into my desktop to see if that would work. I didn’t try to disable the wired connection or anything — just figured it might talk to the chromecast. It did not. My work PC did not like the unsecured network. I ended up installing with my wife’s laptop. I could see the chromecast updating with the info I entered and it appeared to connect to my home network, but the app kept reporting a failure uploading settings. Finally, I just tried the chromecast app and everything worked. So, rough start.

I do like it, though. Netflix and Youtube were flawless and there was very little ‘lag’ tab-casting (did I just make that up?). I dragged some files onto Chrome and went full screen. You can definitely watch movies this way.

I have to admit that most of what I love about this is in my imagination. What it does is fun, but there isn't much of it. Given the plunge in phablet prices, I could see an android tablet serving as a sophisticated remote control or director. Chromecast Maestro has a ring to it. Tell my HDHR3 to send channel 5 to the Chromecast or Plex to send a movie. All of a sudden playlists are feasible. And why couldn't you capture that hdmi output to a computer? Chromecast Captivate!

So, the question remains: Can I control this with my Kindle Fire (original). If this requires rooting the Fire, I'm OK with that as I am starting to accumulate Fires as we upgrade. For this, I am taking suggestions as well. The objective would be to set the device on a table near the chromecast enabled tv and use it as a dedicated remote control.

Jessica?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

So, the question remains: Can I control this with my Kindle Fire (original). If this requires rooting the Fire, I'm OK with that as I am starting to accumulate Fires as we upgrade. For this, I am taking suggestions as well. The objective would be to set the device on a table near the chromecast enabled tv and use it as a dedicated remote control.
So far with the Fire HD it's a no go but I haven' tried everything. I've been very busy with work and haven't had much time to play (I'm working now )

I have tried the YouTube app. Even though I am rooted and use the Google play store, my YouTube app does not have the Chromecast icon (I haven't tired deleting and re-installing yet). Same with Netflix from the Fire HD. I still need to try the Chrome browser on the Fire.

My Galaxy S3 phone works great with the Chromecast and set-up was very easy.