Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Barsoom Series by Edgar Rice Burroughs

I came across Princess of Mars on Gutenberg and I was wondering if anyone has read the Barsoom series and WDYT?

MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I came across Princess of Mars on Gutenberg and I was wondering if anyone has read the Barsoom series and WDYT?

Read the series many, many times. I read them for the first time when I was 10, taking them out one by one from the school library

Superb adventure stories for any age. Are you going to see the John Carter movie coming out in March 2012?

I would recommend most strongly, the superb Barsoom omnibus edition created by HarryT. It is available here in the free library on Mobileread.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you going to see the John Carter movie coming out in March 2012?
Didn't know there was a movie coming out. I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm not up to date with current movies etc. What's it called?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I have not, but I'd like to read it before the movie John Carter comes out March 9.

There's a nicely formatted omnibus created by one of the MobileRead members here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54599
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

I just downloaded the omnibus. Thanks for the tip.
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might want to also try other omnibus editions of his works available for download in the library.

Pellucidar, Caspak and Venus series.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, it is fun. If you like that also see Otis Adelbert Kline's Swordsman of Mars etc.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Yeah, it is fun. If you like that also see Otis Adelbert Kline's Swordsman of Mars etc.
Another great series written about the same time.

You could also try Princess of Amathar, a recent novel written in the same style.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
You could also try Princess of Amathar, a recent novel written in the same style.
Thanks I stuck it in my wish list.

Quote:
Will check it out.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Editor John Joseph Adams is also coming out with a Barsoom anthology in February, Under The Moons of Mars. Has contributors like Peter S. Beagle, Tobias Buckell, Joe R. Lansdale, etc.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
sabredog

Sounds excellent.

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/2011/...-on-barsoom-2/

No sign of an ebook though...

Last edited by sabredog; 01-19-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Sounds excellent.

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/2011/...-on-barsoom-2/

No sign of an ebook though...
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Moons-Ma...dp/B0055OIFOE/
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
sabredog

I looked but could not see

Thanks, just pre-ordered it.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I read A Princess of Mars a few months ago. I have the next few books in the series waiting on my Nook but I have too many other things I want to read first.

I am really looking forward to John Carter the movie though. It's basically a live-action Pixar movie, as it is directed by Andrew Stanton of A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I started the series when I was 9 or 10 and have reread them a few times over the years. I need to do so again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote