Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
2.9.5 update failure

Stuck on step 1, I rebooted, screen went dark (not quite black) and there it is...
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Oh dear...
I can't really tell you what to do...I guess you'll have to contact iRex Techsupport. Did you have any unusual modifications or anything on your Iliad?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

No, it was clean as a whistle, I was waiting for unbricking-and-easy-install to be in place before I played with it... and thanks for the advice, I emailed them before posting. Now it's just sit and wait... with nothing to read!!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
That's nasty. i just did my upgrade and it went smooth as silk. It took less time overall than the e-mail implied it might.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
ebooklvr
iLiad newbie
ebooklvr began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Zaurus SL-5500
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

My update went fairly smoothly. I did have to reconnect to IDS manually after the 6 steps went through (or a least I think they completed before I reconnected). The whole process went quicker than I expected although this is my first upgrade so I have nothing to compare the time to
ebooklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
It went smoothly for me too (this time) and faster than they said.

Ella, have you tried rebooting more than once?

Other than that, sit tight, get a paper book (gasp!) blow the dust off of it and start reading
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

I've tried rebooting several times, but nothing happens, except for some white lines at the bottom, several more appear and stay on the screen each time, but I can still see the upgrade page dimly.

Problem is, I've read of all my p-books, and I only read in English, getting English books here in Mallorca isn't the easiest thing...

Thanks for the commiseration, guys.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
tororebelde
No es el toro que piensas
tororebelde began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Oh, that's a pity. Did you do this update with the 2.9.1 firmware or you were lower? Anyway if you tried to reboot so far, your just escape way is contact iRex, thought.

I have just did my iliad update to 2.9.5 and the first time it did nothing, but after a reboot and new connection to iDS all went ok.

Sorry about your troubles.
tororebelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
@ElaHuget, you seem to have a computer there as well... I know it's not as nice as reading on e ink, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Hi,

I haven't updated yet. I have received the ability to run third party programs or so called "shell script". If I update will it brick my device?

I did not do any tweaks in the registry as I am Linux-illiterate. (OFF: But I know Excel and Windows very well, and SharePoint server too!)

Any ideas?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

LOL, thanks Neko... I might have to do that, but my iLiad has spoilt me, turning my nose up at pc-reading; plus, I spend all day on it, I work in an IT dept, by the time I get home, my eyes need to rest. :P

I already contacted Support last night, they've replied today... I just know I'll have to send it in... boo-hoo, my baby... it's too young to travel on its own!

PS: The photo is from last night, the screen is a lot darker today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen 007p.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	3311  
Old 04-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
realityloop
Enthusiast
realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realityloop has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I ad the shell scripts update, I just made sure that I reverted any scripts I'd ran before I ran the update..

Restore ipdf to default, restored menu order to default, restored bottom buttons to default..

Update went without a hitch for me apart from led flashing after it rebooted itself which was fixed with a reset.. then I was able to run update again to get the extra bits that come after initial 1.9.5 update.

I also had all mem cards removed at the time of update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
Hi,

I haven't updated yet. I have received the ability to run third party programs or so called "shell script". If I update will it brick my device?

I did not do any tweaks in the registry as I am Linux-illiterate. (OFF: But I know Excel and Windows very well, and SharePoint server too!)

Any ideas?
realityloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Ok my iLiad is stuck at step 2 for more than 35 minutes now. What shall I do?
Is something like copying data to ram disk such a big task?

Last edited by Mambo; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #14
Mambo
Gadget fan

Stuck on Step 2 forever. ElaHuguet: let me join you in this topic and the camp of those who accidentally bricked their iLiad with this update.

I really share and understand your feelings. The worst thing I am afraid of is what if the update screen gets idelibly burned on the screen?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I don't think you need to worry about screen-burning...but the rate of failure with the update is alarming!
Did you have memory cards inserted? Maybe that's the problem with the failed updates?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote