Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is this subforum wise?

Seriously. The "Sony Reader 500/505" forum should be renamed to "Sony Reader 500/505/700" and be done with it. 99% of all questions the PRS-700 users are going to have will be already answered in that forum, along with all the various content and resources in that subforum's subforums.

I know the new Reader is all the rave, but creating a specific forum just for it will be more trouble than it's worth, for the new users and the forum veterans who will have to continually point them to the 500/505 forum where their questions have already been answered many, many times before.

IMO this is unwise and shortsighted.

(just trying to help though)
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Well they made new one for iRex DR1000 so at least it consistent
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I think it's only temporary, probably till the device is out, but what do I know?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
But think of all the questions like:

How do I charge my Reader without the USB cable? Is there an AC plug?

The Sony store sucks. Any other place I can buy ebooks?

The Sony software sucks. Is there something better?

etc ad infinitum... and it's all in the other forum. I think we're not doing them a favor by segregating them like this.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Actually, this new forum section is in anticipation of our next forum restructuring. In short, many resources from the Sony Reader 500/505 forum, namely those dealing with formatting and conversion, will be moved to a new place (=E-Book Tools -> Lrf/BBeB section). Next, the e-book devices will be sorted by vendor; so we will have a main Sony category, and underneath it subsections for device-specific discussions.

Organizing forum sections is a complicated matter, and I agree, it's something you shouldn't treat lightly.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There will probably be a device forum reorganization soon. There are some features that are different between the two, so it makes sense to sort things at least somewhat by device. If it turns out that there really are no separate discussions, the fora can be merged.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Actually, this new forum section is in anticipation of our next forum restructuring. In short, many resources from the Sony Reader 500/505 forum, namely those dealing with formatting and conversion, will be moved to a new place (=E-Book Tools main section). Next, the e-book devices will be sorted by vendor; so we will have a main Sony category, and underneath it subsections for device-specific discussions.
Well I didn't know this. It's good to know my concerns were unfounded.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Well I didn't know this. It's good to know my concerns were unfounded.
It's good to know that you and our other members care. Your input is always appreciated.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
No, this isn't a good idea.

Look at the sections under the "real" Sony Reader Forum. Are we going to have different "Content" questions? How about different "Accessories". We already have 500 vs 505 folders for the development stuff that is different.

I agree that it's complex and there are reasons you might want to choose a forum versus a folder. None of those reasons have been explained, however, so there isn't much justification for this choice.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's looking forward toward a near future forum reorganization, RSaunders. Give ol' Alex the benefit of the doubt here, he's done quite well by us in this regard so far.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #11
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I will look forward to the reorganization and hope that the complaints (there are always complaints when something is reorganized, just because of the changes) are polite.

Personally, I am so grateful for this forum and the people who run it that I will not complain, even if I am not happy about the changes (although the history of this forum indicates that the people who run it are very clear-thinking and take time before instituting any changes, in order to make sure they are good changes).

I don't have the time nor the patience to do what the excellent organizers of this forum do, so I can only say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" and continue to enjoy.

I can't begin to say how much benefit I have gotten from this forum and see no reason to think that any reorganization will do anything to lessen those benefits.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Apples and oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
The Sony 505 and 700 are virtually the same, albeit a few (important) upgrades. However, the market base still seems to be the same, leisure readers.

On the other hand, the iRex iLiad and the DR1000S are different in many respects. The size difference alone creates a whole new base of users. The DR1000S is marketed to more business oriented and academic users. Thus, the new forum for completely different iRex products is reasonable and helpful.

But I do agree, the forum for Sony might be more helpful to be 500/505/700.
I say this because we are purchasing a 700 for our son for the holidays and my husband just purchased a preowned 505. We have been reading both for information, and most everything we wanted to learn came first from the 500/505 threads.
So the comment to combine Sony's forums is a point well taken.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
icebear
rank noob
icebear began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post

The Sony store sucks. Any other place I can buy ebooks?

that is actually the question i have, i think i'm not using the correct search terms yet. every message board is different, it takes me some time to get the knack of how it all gets organized here.

*off to figure out the right search terms to get my answer*
icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Assuming that you are asking the ago-old question about other sources of ebooks for the Sony rather than using that question as an example, I have found Fictionwise to be an excellent source of books for the Sony Reader. In addition to all of the ebooks I have purchased from them, I have had a subscription to through them for Analog magazine for almost as long as I have had the Sony Reader (replacing the subscription to the print version that goes back to my teen years.) Another great source for SciFi is Baen (both the free area and the Baen store.)

Steve Jordan Books is also a favorite place for me. Not a lot of offerings as it is dedicated to only the writings of Steve Jordan, but every book is recommended.

Many people also format shift their books and buy Mobipocket or MS Lit ebooks from from many places including Fictionwise, Books on Board.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Also see our wiki. Here's the page on ebook stores:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

To get to the wiki, click on "wiki", which is at the very top of this page. It is a mine of information.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote