Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Why no clock displayed?

I am pretty excited about the K3 coming out, it looks really good to me. One thing that has been slightly annoying me for a while now is that the kindle does not have the time displayed. The new screenshots don't have the time either and I was secretly hoping they would have added a clock at some point.

I loved that feature when reading on the iPad, it is very nice to have the time so handy so I can make a quick decision to continue reading or call it a night because it is getting late. I know the kindle displays the time when you press alt-T but that really isn't the same.

I am sure they must have considered it, they went to the trouble to add the alt-T option so it was definitely on their minds. I wonder if they have ever discussed that design decision anywhere? Anyone know if they have ever mentioned why they opted to not include an always on clock?
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is it really that hard to hit the menu button to check the time quick? Guess I've never really given it any thought.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Perhaps the idea is to encourage you to get lost in your reading and not always checking the time. I thought this was strange, too, at first, but I've also gotten used to the menu button.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
I've actually read more than one review of iBooks on the iPad about how the clock was distracting Go figure... I think we should definitely have an option to show/hide it. Just like real page numbers.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is it really that hard to hit the menu button to check the time quick?
Nope, not at all. And I don't personally want a clock onscreen all the time.

Technically, I guess they don't want to constantly be polling/refreshing the e-ink screen to keep the time current; if they only updated it on page turns it would get out of sync when left on a page for more than a minute.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
That makes sense to me, I never even thought of the need to update the screen. The main reason I find hitting alt-T to be a hassle is I typically read with one hand. When it is getting late and I need to think about forcing myself to go to sleep, I have to make a more conscious effort to be aware of the time. I never even considered that a clock could be a distraction lol.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapar View Post
That makes sense to me, I never even thought of the need to update the screen. The main reason I find hitting alt-T to be a hassle is I typically read with one hand. When it is getting late and I need to think about forcing myself to go to sleep, I have to make a more conscious effort to be aware of the time. I never even considered that a clock could be a distraction lol.
You don't need to hit alt-t, just press menu and the clock will appear, press menu again and you're back to reading. At least I'm assuming it'll be the same on the K3, could be wrong.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
Alt-t was how to get the time to show on a K1.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
Alt-t was how to get the time to show on a K1.
Oh, I see.