Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #16
sealbeater
Addict
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Martin's book delays aren't out of laziness. It's just that he really enjoys working the Hollywood side more than the writing.
This. He's finally gotten his heart's desire.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #17
drofgnal
Guru
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4NT/iphone/ipad/ipad mini
Plus the fact he can't write during football season and miss his beloved Jets.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #18
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
While this particular case doesn't effect me, it does bring to mind one of my biggest pet peeves - the unfinished series. I would probably be more than a bit miffed at Martin if I were actually a fan of the series. I felt the same way about Robert Jordan and the WOT series and to a certain extent David Weber's Honor Harrington series. I have no idea what Patrick Rothfuss's issue is. I get he writes slow, but dang, it's been 7 years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
Philippe D.
Groupie
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
There's already been so many differences between the plots of the books and the series, I wouldn't mind if Winds of Winter ended differently than the TV show. But I'd really, really like to read the book at some point - the show is good, but still, IMHO, not as good as the books.

(Yes, I'm still a big fan. Not at all like the WOT, which I ended up dragging my feet to finish - though finish it I did)
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I felt the same way about Robert Jordan and the WOT series...
I only vaguely know about the Wheel of Time. But didn't Jordan die before writing the final book? It sounds like it was a bit beyond his control.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
Philippe D.
Groupie
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I only vaguely know about the Wheel of Time. But didn't Jordan die before writing the final book? It sounds like it was a bit beyond his control.
He did, and he even arranged for another writer (Brandon Sanderson) to finish the series after his death.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
He did, on the other hand, he started to drag the series out more and more and more. I suspect that if he were still alive, it still wouldn't be finished.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
He did, on the other hand, he started to drag the series out more and more and more. I suspect that if he were still alive, it still wouldn't be finished.
Yeah, series bloat is a real problem. Of course, one person's bloat is another person's 'richer, deeper experience.'
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Lenovo A10-70, Motorola Z2 Play, 1st Gen Kindle Fire
Quote:
That's what he wanted everyone to think!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Glo HD, Sony PRS-650, iPhone 6S, iPad Mini 4
It all sort of reminds me of Rocky #25. Just goes on... and on... and on... I bought season 7 of GoT, and then realised I had seen it already over here during a 2 week freebie on Foxtel. It was completely unmemorable. I expect the next season to be the same. I hoped Cersei would get hers, but she didnt. I think he will let her live on forever. As for the books... I started reading the first and only got a few pages into it, looked at how much there was to go, and realised that there were other books I would rather read. Havent picked it up again since then.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #26
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
After starting the Wheel of Time around the time the fourth book came out, and waiting decades for the ending, I refuse to even glance at Game of Thrones until it is complete. Martin's age and health make me lack confidence that he will actually finish it.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #27
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Same with me; I'm not going to even start the SoIaF series before it's finished. Same with that huge series Sanderson is writing.

I learned my lesson when I was reading the Shannara series in Dutch, and suddenly the publisher stopped translating and publishing, leaving a trilogy unfinished for years. Therefore, these days, I only start series that are finished.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #28
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I've held out for now on Sanderson's Stormlight Archive as well, but I'm thinking about starting it. Sanderson has two things going for him that Martin does not - he's young and (presumably) healthy, and he's prolific as heck. He churns out several books a year at times. He's also transparent - you can go to his blog and get a good idea of the status of the book you're waiting for.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
pwalker8
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Same with me; I'm not going to even start the SoIaF series before it's finished. Same with that huge series Sanderson is writing.

I learned my lesson when I was reading the Shannara series in Dutch, and suddenly the publisher stopped translating and publishing, leaving a trilogy unfinished for years. Therefore, these days, I only start series that are finished.
I don't have an issue starting a series before it's over, but abandoning a series before the story line is resolved will get an author dropped from my buy list. A lot really depends what sort of series it is, i.e. is it a series like Glen Cook's Garrett series where each book is more or less self contained, or is it a series like WOT where there is ongoing story line that each book moves the story line along (or not as was the case of some of the books in that series).
Old 05-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It mostly depends on the individual author's track record, whether or not I'll start an unfinished series (as well as what kind of series it is: serial vs. complete installments).

If the author has no track record, then I wait to see one develop. If the author has a history of publishing regularly and often, then I'll consider picking the series up before its finished.

Martin, Rothfuss, and Lynch are on my "don't even think about it until it's done" list (and often, I lose interest in those authors and don't return anyway).

I wouldn't hesitate to start a Brandon Sanderson series, though. If I liked his writing style at all, of course. Waaaay to world-buildy and magical-systemy/lessony for my tastes. Figures.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote