Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
DaveRB
DaveRB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Help Please! Freeze Issue with PRS 300

Hi All,

hope you can help. I think I may have let my reader on and the battery drained. Have charged with AC adaptor, but no joy when I press the power switch.

I then pressed the reset button and I now have a screen saying -

Reader
Opening book...

but the power switch still does not react and the reader will not advance from this screen.

Hope you can help?

Many thanks

DaveRB
DaveRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Get a tooth pick and push the reset button on the bottom of the device.
Push in and hold for 2 secs.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
DaveRB

Thanks 300com, tried this and also tried a hard reset, now I have a screen saying "Updating Firmware Now..." and the power light is on red, but nothing seems to be happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

DaveRB
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Did you do a firmware update?

There seem to be almost across the board charging issues with ebook readers. Make sure you are fully charged by using the wall charger (not sure about the 300) if possible and then do the reset.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
DaveRB

Nope, as far as I can see there is no Firmware vailable for the PRS 300. Have charged fully with AC charger and have requested a repair return from Sony. Gutted!
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It does sound broke.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Does it do anything if you connect it to a PC / Mac? Strange probleem indeed!
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
DaveRB

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. When I connect to the pc it says "updating firmware" but nothing happens. Calibre and EBook library also recognise it but it shows as "error".

Back to Sony!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
tpkacer
tpkacer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Hi,
given the time-stamp of this thread, I guess it's solved. But the same thing happened to me today in the morning - a black screen, "Reader" logo, barely distinguishable "loading e-book" (or something of that sort) under the logo, and absolutely no reaction to on/off switch or reset button.
Charging the reader for about 2 or 3 hours (via USB cable) did the trick - it became alive again on its own. I turned it off in the menu then and charged it till the red light switched off. The only "problem" was that the date and time were reset.
Works fine, now.
I hope this note helps other desperate PRS-300 users who find their device frozen as I did in the morning, so that they don't panic as I did
tpkacer is offline   Reply With Quote