Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #166
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At least adding new books does not wipe your current reads off the screen anymore.

Regards,
David
Didn't know that, nice change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zessie View Post
Does anybody know if there are several dictionaries installed on the Aura HD or can they be added? Are they good?
I'm from Belgium and read in several languages, so that's really important.
Not only monolingual dictionaries, but also translating ones from for example german to dutch, or english>french?

I've heard Sony is really good at it, but I'm so eager to buy the Aura HD ...
Oh and do they already sell them in Europe? When is the official date?

A newbie would appreciate your info!!
The normal dictionaries are not that good, there are a bunch, and they work for normal usage but the word count is much smaller then f.e. the ones included in Sony readers, which are excellent.

But it's quite simple to create Custom Dictionaries and use those.
I use a few that are based on Web Dictonaries like dict.cc.

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 05-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #167
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by zessie View Post
Does anybody know if there are several dictionaries installed on the Aura HD or can they be added? Are they good?
I'm from Belgium and read in several languages, so that's really important.
Not only monolingual dictionaries, but also translating ones from for example german to dutch, or english>french?

I've heard Sony is really good at it, but I'm so eager to buy the Aura HD ...
Oh and do they already sell them in Europe? When is the official date?

A newbie would appreciate your info!!
Yeah there are some translation dictionaries included in the Aura HD.

English
Deutsch - English
Espanol - English
Francais - English
Italiano - English
Portugues - English

Then I have the option to install these feom the rest of the list

Deutsch
Espanol
Francais
Italiano

This info was copied directly feom my Ivory Aura from a UK supplier. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367430603341.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	105217  
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #168
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by savbeowulf View Post
Yeah there are some translation dictionaries included in the Aura HD.

English
Deutsch - English
Espanol - English
Francais - English
Italiano - English
Portugues - English

Then I have the option to install these feom the rest of the list

Deutsch
Espanol
Francais
Italiano

This info was copied directly feom my Ivory Aura from a UK supplier. Hope this helps
Wow, no Japanese. Maybe that's because they don't intend to release the Aura in Japan. Bad move in my case.
Still confused over the Glo/Aura choice.

Can we put the other Kobo dictionaries onto the Aura?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #169
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Wow, no Japanese. Maybe that's because they don't intend to release the Aura in Japan. Bad move in my case.
:
There is Japanese, there is a second page of dictionaries that can be installed

Nederlands
Portugues
Japanese
English - Deutsch
English - Espanol
English - Francais
English - Italiano
English - Portugues
English - Japanese
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #170
zessie
zessie began at the beginning.

Device: bebook white
Quote:
Can we put the other Kobo dictionaries onto the Aura?
Yeah, I'm also wondering if that's possible?

Thanks for the info savbeowulf!
zessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #171
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Yes, you can.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #172
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
I find myself holding a finger on the finished books until the popup and then selecting dismiss to get them off the screen. Also work for most of the other junk as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Did you try long press on things you don't want on the home screen? Long Press should give you a pop-up menu that allows you to dismiss things from the home screen.
Thanks to both of you for that tip. It definately clear things up.

Quote:
At least adding new books does not wipe your current reads off the screen anymore.
Aah good to know. That was one of the few annoyances on the Glo.

Quote:
My only complaint with the new home screen on the Aura is that some of the cover thumbnails are too small to tell what the book is (most are okay but some have small text on the covers and I can't read the title), there is room for them to include some text to show the name of the book so hopefully they add that in a future FW release.
Yep, you are right. Even though I haven't had problems with the cover thumbnails I have studied, they are kind of small, and too much text on the cover will be problematic.

Quote:
My reading stats were synced from my glo to my Aura, not sure why it didn't work for you, (books finished, total hours read etc all move over to my Aura)
I have had issues with bookmarks not syncing some times from one device to another but can't recall seeing the issue with reading stats before, moved from a wifi, to touch then to glo and now Aura and my stats came over each time, if it is important to you, you should consider a reset and try setup of the Aura again and see if the stats come over on your second try.
In that case I will give it another try. I like the stats even though I find the awards silly.
Did you set it up wirelessly or via the Kobo Desktop App?

Thanks
/Lars
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #173
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Wait! You're in Europe and you already have one of those? I thought it was limited to the UK at the moment. Lucky you
Oh, and thank you for your feedback. I'm still torn between a Glo and an Aura, but little by little it seems to go the Aura way.
After I have been following the threads in here about the Aura, and the apparent limited supply in Europe I was also very surprised when, during the weekend, I found 3 (or was it 4) webshops in Denmark selling them and also having them in stock.
Don't know though if they get them shipped from the same supplier in Germany.

And I do feel a bit lucky!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #174
lkodk
Connoisseur

One minor annoyance I have found is that you have to go through a lot of clicks (or is it presses/touches when on a touchscreen ) to adjust the light.

On the Glo you center"click" to get the top/bottom menus. Then you "click" the light icon, and then you adjust the light.

On the Aura, you center"click" to get the menus, then you "click" the top toolbar, then you "click" the light settings, and then you adjust the light.

Oh wait. That was only one more "click", but it feels like a hassle.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #175
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
Did you set it up wirelessly or via the Kobo Desktop App?

Thanks
/Lars
Wirelessly, I don't have the desktop app installed.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #176
lkodk
Connoisseur

Rats! No luck!

"Total hours read" is not transferred to the Aura.
The total shown is equal to the reading time on the one kepub I get synced from Kobo.
And as far as I can see it is the only data missing. Even though the book says 0% read it is still marked as finished under "entire library", and also the stupid awards get transferred.

EDIT: Books finished are not transferred either. It only shows the 1 from Kobo.

I also tried to reset the device. Setup it up, but quickly cancel the inital sync. Then I sideloaded all my books, and ran the sync afterwards, but it still only show total time of 19. My Glo says 195.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by lkodk; 05-01-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #177
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:

Nederlands
Portugues
Japanese
English - Deutsch
English - Espanol
English - Francais
English - Italiano
English - Portugues
English - Japanese
Didn't norice rhe othwr page but yeah it's definitely there perhaps the page 1 of 2 top right of my phoro should have given it away but I didn't spot it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367440113135.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	105224  
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #178
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Nederlands
Portugues
Japanese
English - Deutsch
English - Espanol
English - Francais
English - Italiano
English - Portugues
English - Japanese
What a relief! Thank you very much
Actually, that makes sense: same firmware, same dictionaries. I should have known better
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #179
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
Rats! No luck!

"Total hours read" is not transferred to the Aura.
The total shown is equal to the reading time on the one kepub I get synced from Kobo.
And as far as I can see it is the only data missing. Even though the book says 0% read it is still marked as finished under "entire library", and also the stupid awards get transferred.

EDIT: Books finished are not transferred either. It only shows the 1 from Kobo.

I also tried to reset the device. Setup it up, but quickly cancel the inital sync. Then I sideloaded all my books, and ran the sync afterwards, but it still only show total time of 19. My Glo says 195.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Are you only reading sideloaded books? Some of the information for the synced kepubs should be synced, but nothing is synced fro sideloaded books.

If you really want to do this, you could export data from the database on the Glo and import it to the Aura. The database is an SQLite database. The table you want to look at is "Event". I can give you some help, but if you want to do it, start a new thread for the discussion.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #180
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Well, after complaining about the slick plastic case in the other Aura thread, I finally broke down and bought one today. I'm hoping that the superior screen will make up for it.

But I have to say I'm not impressed with the initial setup. Kobo hasn't managed to improve it from day 1 of my first Kobo, 3 years ago.

I updated my Kobo desktop software, then plugged in the Aura for the first time. Kobo Desktop froze and stayed frozen for 10 minutes before I killed it. Unplugged, replugged, restarted, got as far as signing in to my account, and it froze again. I killed it again after another 10 minutes. But now when I unplugged the Aura, it booted to the home screen. Third try, it seems to have completed sync. But it still reports the Aura on 2.4.1. Aren't we supposed to be on 2.5.0?

Update: Ok, after another connect/disconnect it stayed on "Processing new content" for about 5 minutes, then it rebooted itself again and updated to 2.5.1. But it took yet another connect/disconnect before it would actually process the sideloaded books placed in the home directory.

Kobo's software developers need a kick in the behind. Why after 3 years can't they manage to produce a simple initial setup procedure that tells you what it's doing step by step?

Last edited by FJames; 05-01-2013 at 10:46 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote