Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What do you use Sigil for?

I got some great feedback when I asked about Calibre. I just downloaded Sigil. How should I use it?
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I use it mostly for basic editing of epubs before converting them to mobi format. On occasion I've started with html pages and done the same thing. The recent upload I did of "Varney The Vampyre" started out as three separate HTML pages which I then edited for unneeded text and then saved as an epub.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've used it the most to split up anthologies and collections into individual books.

I've used it to create a couple of short ebooks from scratch.

I have used it to tidy up coding on books - but I tend not to do that now unless the formatting is really bad and/or I'm likely to re-read it a lot. Otherwise it's just not worth my time.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I use it a lot to take out advertising, reviews, excess images. I don't want excerpts for other books, info about other authors, anything like that. Just the book.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I use it as a vegetable peeler.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use Sigil to rename files after a Calibre conversion so I know what file is what. Also to fix up a ToC, to split as needed and to remove unused CSS entries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Its good for making epubs
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Correcting:
1) poorly formatted chapter heading/titles
2) fixing broken (up) paragraphs)
3) removing stray bits (ads, page numbers...)
4) Making the overall style 'Your Way' or to be conversion friendly
5) Fixing Spelling errors
6) Fixing gross HTML usage perversions
7) Making a quick TOC
"
If you like your book 'as delivered', don't bother. "There is nothing here for you..Move along."
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
cathalmc
cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sigil is superb for creating beautifully-formatted ebooks using CSS. It has one or two idiosyncratic glitches, but in general it's one of my best software friends.
cathalmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also use Sigil when I am checking the text of an ePub and I don't want the code to get in the way. This way, I can make corrections very easily.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Correcting:
1) poorly formatted chapter heading/titles
2) fixing broken (up) paragraphs)
3) removing stray bits (ads, page numbers...)
4) Making the overall style 'Your Way' or to be conversion friendly
5) Fixing Spelling errors
6) Fixing gross HTML usage perversions
7) Making a quick TOC
"
If you like your book 'as delivered', don't bother. "There is nothing here for you..Move along."
theducks summed up most of what I use Sigil for, but add to that list:

8) Checking images included in the epub and deleting the 50 duplicates of the identical image, and compressing the others remaining, which can drastically reduce the file size of the epub.

One of the most annoying things I find even on purchased books is 4 different styles within one paragraph switching back and forth for absolutely no reason, there's no change in the appearance of the text at all. Once in awhile it will be there for italics, but that's handled by just using <i> and </i>. The majority of the time it's just left over junk from people using automated software on the book and not bothering to check the results.

Sigil is a fantastic piece of software, I'd be lost without it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I got some great feedback when I asked about Calibre. I just downloaded Sigil. How should I use it?
Uh... I don't really understand. It's an IDE to create or edit EPUB-files. What else would you do with it? If you mean to ask if I use Sigil for minor editing or creating ebooks from scratch: I do both.

By the way, now that we're talking about Sigil: what engine does it use to render the EPUBs? I suspect it to use Webkit or Gecko, as those are the major free ones, but that's just a guess. It's different from the engine used by ADE: Sigil supports CSS that ADE does not. Some Adobe products in the past used Presto (Opera's engine), so maybe this is also true for ADE.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
theducks summed up most of what I use Sigil for, but add to that list:

8) Checking images included in the epub and deleting the 50 duplicates of the identical image, and compressing the others remaining, which can drastically reduce the file size of the epub.
How do you do this? Penguin cozy mysteries suffer the problem a lot.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you do this? Penguin cozy mysteries suffer the problem a lot.
You delete all the duplicate and search/replace them in the XML code to the one remaining image.

I've seen this done before. It's just stupid to have the same image duplicated for each time it is used.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen this done before. It's just stupid to have the same image duplicated for each time it is used.
This is idiocy on a level that doesn't even exist yet.

The only way I can think of is that this happens when the EPUB is auto-generated from a file that actually includes the image multiple times, such as a Word-document.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote