Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Adding notes

Forgive me if I am asking s dumb question but what is the idea of leaving notes in a book?
Apart from maybe a student for study purposes it seems like writing in a book which surely you wouldn't do.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
A lot of people like to highlight and write notes on the margin. The Kindle simulates this...
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
- authors who are researching a topic
- students taking notes for an essay / exam / dissertation
- correcting a book with errors
- the act of note-taking helps some people to engage with a book
- adding in something random like a shopping list because you just thought of it

I've been "guilty" of the last one many times.

Personally I'm an active reader and I get more out of books when I make notes rather than just reading it from cover to cover. Fiction, I tend to just read - although if there's a spelling or typo, I have to correct it!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
After finishing a book one can go to the internet site:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

and review flash cards of all your notes and highlights. One can then copy them to chat rooms and forums for discussion purposes.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If I am reading a series that is reasonably complicated I will sometimes highlight a passage when a new character is introduced or something major happens. That way I can do a quick note review if I start to lose track of the moving parts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Ahhh, makes total sense. Thanks guy's for great answers.
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote