Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Question about Penguin Classics e-book editions

Hi All,

Has anybody here bought or seen an example of an e-book version of a Penguin Classic edition? Specifically, I am thinking of buying their version of Ulysses.

I have a treebook Penguin version of Tristram Shandy, and I liked it, it had a lot of footnotes that helped me put the book in context and increased my enjoyment of it. And I have confirmed, through a discussion on another forum, that their paper "Modern classic" edition of Ulysses does have good additional material (footnotes and other stuff) that I would love to read.

What I'd like to know is, can anybody confirm that e-book versions of the Penguin classics or Penguin modern classics have the same content as the p-book version? I'd like to know before I pay £9 for a book that is available for free, here on MR among other sources.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I was too impatient to wait for answers, so I bought it. No footnotes but the formatting seems very nice, and there is an introduction that should be an interesting read. For the moment I'll just enjoy the book. And if anyone has seen the paper edition, I'd still like to know if it has footnotes or not...
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Is it possible to buy penguin classic books directly from Penguin website? Are there any geographical restrictions?
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
Is it possible to buy penguin classic books directly from Penguin website? Are there any geographical restrictions?
I don't know, I bought the book from Waterstones. Come to think of it, I should have tried Penguin's web site at least to get more information about the book. I think that they do sell books from the UK web site penguin.co.uk but haven't visited it. I don't know about geographic restrictions either, there are probably some but I was able to buy the book from France with no trouble at all.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why is that the ebook version is not similar to the paper book version? I am trying to find a reason for this but i honestly can't. Do they assume the public that buys paper books and ebooks is different?
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've got ADE ePUB books on my Kobo that have the footnote numbers, but alas, no actual footnotes. I've been told that footnotes are not part of the standard. On the ADE desktop software, the footnotes numbers were working hyperlinks on the one book I checked, so they were readable.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Every Penguin Classics ebook (epub format) that I've purchased or seen matches the content of the paper book in footnotes/introduction/etc. Often, I'll download a sample of the book (through Barnes and Noble or Amazon -- you should be able to check out either with their PC software without making a purchase) -- in order to preview the specific formatting and content.

Interestingly, the Penguin edition of Ulysses is currently at Amazon for less than a dollar...
http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Pengui...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Text is also at Gutenberg/Feedbooks though of course without the introduction and possibly a slightly different edition.

Checking out at "look inside the book" to see the paper editions, this version doesn't seem to have footnotes even in paper form. There's a separate "Annotated Edition" that does yet not appear to be available in ebook form.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I get the message that books can only be sold to the UK... It's not in the FAQ but in the popup window you get after you place an order.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I've got ADE ePUB books on my Kobo that have the footnote numbers, but alas, no actual footnotes. I've been told that footnotes are not part of the standard. On the ADE desktop software, the footnotes numbers were working hyperlinks on the one book I checked, so they were readable.
This must be a problem with the Kobo not reading the links. There may not be a specific format for footnotes in ePub, but it's not needed. As you noticed, they work perfectly as links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Every Penguin Classics ebook (epub format) that I've purchased or seen matches the content of the paper book in footnotes/introduction/etc. Often, I'll download a sample of the book (through Barnes and Noble or Amazon -- you should be able to check out either with their PC software without making a purchase) -- in order to preview the specific formatting and content.

Interestingly, the Penguin edition of Ulysses is currently at Amazon for less than a dollar...
http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Pengui...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Text is also at Gutenberg/Feedbooks though of course without the introduction and possibly a slightly different edition.

Checking out at "look inside the book" to see the paper editions, this version doesn't seem to have footnotes even in paper form. There's a separate "Annotated Edition" that does yet not appear to be available in ebook form.
Thank you for this info. I guess there was a misunderstanding when I asked on Librarything whether the book had footnotes. Somebody said yes, but they must have been thinking about the Oxford annotated edition, which they recommended. This one is not available as an e-book, but I have ordered it from Amazon. I hope it will get here soon despite the strike.

I don't regret buying the Penguin edition, from what I have seen it has beautiful formatting, much better than the free version I have (not sure if that's the MR version or another). And with all the made-up or rare words Joyce uses in that book, it's reassuring to have an edition that I can trust to be relatively free of OCR errors or typos. The formatting also helps with the various quotes included in the text.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
This must be a problem with the Kobo not reading the links. There may not be a specific format for footnotes in ePub, but it's not needed. As you noticed, they work perfectly as links.
The Kobo has no support for hyperlinks within a text. This is a major shortcoming for reading this type of book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Though it's a shame about the lack of footnotes, I have to repeat that the formatting is very nice. This is the first time I have noticed the formatting of an e-book in a good way. Usually I don't much notice, unless it's really bad, and that has happened several times with commercial ePubs. But having started this book in a free edition (which wasn't bad at all really), this one is a real pleasure. I wonder if all of Penguin classic e-books are as good. I wish all publishers were as professional.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
raymiles
raymiles began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, MacBook
I recently purchased two Penguin Classics in the Kindle format to read using Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPhone. One of them, Selected Poems by William Wordsworth, does not display the hyperlinks to the notes (the other does). The lines also display irregularly. Neither has a hyperlink for the titles of the individual works, each of which has a short introduction in the notes section. This makes moving backwards and forwards quite difficult.
I do not yet own a Kindle, but am intending to get one next time I am in the US or UK (I live in Mexico). It will be interesting to see if the formatting of the Wordsworth is better on that.
raymiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymiles View Post
I recently purchased two Penguin Classics in the Kindle format to read using Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPhone. One of them, Selected Poems by William Wordsworth, does not display the hyperlinks to the notes (the other does). The lines also display irregularly. Neither has a hyperlink for the titles of the individual works, each of which has a short introduction in the notes section. This makes moving backwards and forwards quite difficult.
I do not yet own a Kindle, but am intending to get one next time I am in the US or UK (I live in Mexico). It will be interesting to see if the formatting of the Wordsworth is better on that.
Formatting can vary quite dramatically between the Kindle edition and the K4PC/Mac edition of an ebook.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
B&N Classics have copious, well-formatted footnotes with the proper back-and-forth links, FYI. And sometimes (like NOW!) they have a promotion with a free classic every week.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Since this thread has been revived, I thought it might be worthwhile mentioning that I ended up abandoning the Penguin version. I am now reading Ulysses in the free version available right here on MR. Although the formatting of the Penguin edition is better, it has too many OCR errors.

I would think that when purchasing a book, it would be natural to expect good formatting AND proofreading, but if I have to choose between the two, I'd rather have a book that doesn't look perfect but does NOT have more typos than a reasonably good paper edition.